GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,313
0 members and 1,313 guests
No Members online

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
I get where you're coming from, but I didn't sign up to work super hard to improve our reputation and make us look good on campus. i signed up for a sorority because it seemed like fun; it seemed like somewhere I could meet a lot of people and have a good time. Of course I would love to help out with stuff...but not improving-reputation kind of stuff. I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I don't think I have the time, energy, brain-power, patience, and skill to pull off something like that...but is that such a crime? There wasn't a "membership contract" that said that.

And anytime I've tried to ask people to go out before, no one seems interested. I never said these girls were horrible people, just that I don't think I fit in with them.

And I don't know what you mean by valuing the opinions of outsiders more than the opinions of friends/ strangers.

If you could elaborate and reply that'd be great, thanks
I was just reading this thread and, even though I haven't made it through all of the post, I had to jump in. I am the COB chair for my sorority and one thing my MVP and I (as long as countless older sisters) tell the girls in our chapter to do is to recruit girls that are better than themselves. Someone saw something in you and realized that they could benefit from you joining the chapter in many ways. Maybe they thought you were funny, had potential as a leader and/or recruiter, or the positive attitude that the chapter needed to help it turn around. If I heard ANY of my sisters, new members or initiated, talk about my chapter like this I would be heart broken.

Like other have said, you have made a life long commitment. Either put the effort in and get to know (and love) your chapter, or drop so they don't spend energy on someone who isn't even fully commited to the chapter. They've already put in effort recruiting you, getting you through your new member period, (I'm assuming) giving you a Big; give them the same chance.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Don't I wish! And make the wheat golden instead of bizarro burgandy, and make the background any color but pink and get rid of the life-saver looking rubies and replace with something that looks like a ruby... I could go on and on and on. Will someone tell me why I voted for this damn thing?
Hrm. Because we actually had faith that it would look nice.... o_O
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII*Azra-elle View Post
Hrm. Because we actually had faith that it would look nice.... o_O
And now we feel cheated. Maybe I am a sad panda.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
So here's another angle I wonder if you thought about. You are a dancer for what sounds like a university team. Have you ever invited your sisters to see a performance? Have you introduced them to who you are and what you love? Sorority women appreciate hard work and dancing at that level tends to take dedication and talent. I'd bet your sisters would like to watch you dance and be proud to know that this talented dancer is their sister. Your dedication to dancing is the same dedication that those girls have to their letters.
I didn't see this post before, but YES!!! Do this! Most sororities have programming requirements that they need to meet as far as sister socializing events so not only would you be showing them part of what matters to you, you would be helping the VP who is in charge of this stuff out too. If all you ever say is "I can't go to the meeting/mixer/ritual because I have a dance performance" and never invite anyone to the performances, they're just going to get more and more upset that you are blowing sorority activities off.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I didn't see this post before, but YES!!! Do this! Most sororities have programming requirements that they need to meet as far as sister socializing events so not only would you be showing them part of what matters to you, you would be helping the VP who is in charge of this stuff out too. If all you ever say is "I can't go to the meeting/mixer/ritual because I have a dance performance" and never invite anyone to the performances, they're just going to get more and more upset that you are blowing sorority activities off.
We had a sister perform a major role in a campus musical. The entire chapter came out to support her for opening night. Not only did the chapter enjoy going and doing something a bit different from a normal sisterhood activity, but it meant the world to that sister that the entire chapter came out in support.

This is a great idea OP, look in to it!
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think I ever saw this one. Maybe it'll help someone!
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish the OP came back later to update. Did she drop? Did she stay in and find ways to get involved? Or just become one of those members who does the bare minimum and never really gets to know people. Hmm....
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

yes
Old 06-23-2020, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Not a chapter I worked directly with, but one somewhat nearby did this with the sophomores prior to recruitment. They drew the outline of a person on a piece of paper, and then brainstormed on all of the great qualities that their sisters had. Ince they had created the perfect woman, they then said that was the target that they were going for during Recruitment. They wanted women who were better than the ones they already had, and who had as many of the qualities that they could determine. This focus really caused the quality of women in that chapter to rise over time until they were a superstar, absolutely stellar chapter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onuAXiD17 View Post
I was just reading this thread and, even though I haven't made it through all of the post, I had to jump in. I am the COB chair for my sorority and one thing my MVP and I (as long as countless older sisters) tell the girls in our chapter to do is to recruit girls that are better than themselves. Someone saw something in you and realized that they could benefit from you joining the chapter in many ways. Maybe they thought you were funny, had potential as a leader and/or recruiter, or the positive attitude that the chapter needed to help it turn around. If I heard ANY of my sisters, new members or initiated, talk about my chapter like this I would be heart broken.

Like other have said, you have made a life long commitment. Either put the effort in and get to know (and love) your chapter, or drop so they don't spend energy on someone who isn't even fully commited to the chapter. They've already put in effort recruiting you, getting you through your new member period, (I'm assuming) giving you a Big; give them the same chance.