GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,328
1 members and 2,327 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

A Very Disney Recruitment Story!

Hey guys! I recently went through formal recruitment at my university as a transfer student (I’m a sophomore). No one in my family has ever gone Greek, so I was excited to start a new tradition! My school is fairly small – we only have four NPC sororities; however, there is a fifth chapter that is colonizing this year. I didn’t end up going that route, but I’m so excited to see how they do this year!

Of course, I knew that I was supposed to go in with an open mind (you guys drilled that into my head!), but because there are only four sororities, I definitely heard rumors and stereotypes about each chapter before I went through. That being said, I honestly believe that I did well at keeping an open mind at each party. I wanted to make this a good experience!

I recently went to Disney World, so each sorority will be named after a “land” in the Magic Kingdom! This has probably been done, but I’m so not creative!

Fantasyland
Frontierland
Adventureland
Tomorrowland

We went to orientation the first night to “meet” all of the chapters (aka watch their presentation).

Fantasyland – Fantasyland is the newest sorority on campus (other than the chapter that is colonizing). I get the vibe that they’re still trying to establish themselves on campus. I haven’t heard too much about them, but the girls who gave their presentation seemed funny and nice. I don’t know anyone in this sorority and I did not get a rec letter. (Side note: Rec letters aren’t required at my school and most girls don’t get any.)

Frontierland – I’ve heard a LOT about this sorority… but like I said, I am determined to keep an open mind! They showed a really cute video and most of the girls I heard were already saying they wanted Frontierland. This annoyed me because parties hadn’t even started yet! I don’t know anyone in this chapter but I did get a rec letter.

Adventureland– I have only heard good things about this house; everyone seems to love them! A friend of mine going through recruitment was determined to be an Adventurelandite! I have classes with some girls from Adventureland and they seem so smart and nice. I have one friend in this sorority and I did not get a rec letter.

Tomorrowland – I have heard a little about this sorority, but not much! I know of a couple girls in this sorority that seem to really love it! I have a class with some girls from Tomorrowland but they don’t talk much. Their presentation was okay, but not too memorable. I don’t know any of these girls personally and I did not get a rec letter.

Tomorrow is Sisterhood Night!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2015, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to work in Disney World! I worked in both Adventureland and Fantasyland, so I'm rooting for both of those. best of luck to you!!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I've already been through recruitment, I don't plan on dragging this story out too long! However, I'm going to tell the story as if it's happening right now - seems more fun that way.

Day One - Sisterhood Night

I was so nervous today! I kept thinking about all of the stories I've read on GreekChat and tried to think of good conversation starters. Smile, smile, smile! Don't ask them too many questions about themselves; help them get to know you! Needless to say, I was a nervous wreck... but it was time for my first party...

Adventureland – As we waited outside of Adventureland's room, I could hear the girls chanting and banging on the door. It kind of freaked me out because I was already scared, but I still thought it was funny. It seemed like we had to wait forever, but finally... the doors opened! Now the chanting was so loud! The lights were dimmed in the room and the decorations were super cute. I was really impressed; the room felt kind of magical! As I walked in, a girl (let’s call her Ashley) linked her arm through mine and we walked around the room until we stopped at a table to sit down. The first thing she said to me was, “So tell me about yourself!” which I thought was a terrible way to start the conversation, but I started talking about the first thing I thought of. Overall, my conversation with Ashley was kind of dull. She seemed uninterested in what I had to say, so that was a little disheartening. I stayed with Ashley the whole time, but a lot of sisters came up to us and introduced themselves. At one point I was surrounded by four sisters who were all really nice. After the girls walked away and I was left with Ashley, she asked me if I had a sorority in mind already. This shocked me, but I just told her that I was keeping an open mind. I couldn’t tell if that was the answer she wanted to hear or not. Overall, my experience in Adventureland was kind of underwhelming. This upset me because I expected great things!

Fantasyland – I was a little more confident as I waited outside of Fantasyland. Their chant was really catchy – I remembered it for days afterwards! Once again, a girl hooked her arm through mine and we sat down together. She was extremely shy, so I felt like I was the one driving the conversation sometimes. Twice during the conversation she started talking about Adventureland and Frontierland and told me why she didn’t like them… that kind of turned me off. Overall, though, she seemed like a really nice girl. The sisters did a skit that was funny but it was obvious that they were trying to make fun of the “stereotypical” sorority girl. These girls were big on how they were different and not like everyone else. They really emphasized how eclectic their sorority was, etc. which is good, but it seemed like they were shoving it in our face. They seemed to have a good time but I just didn’t get “the feeling” while I was at this party.

Frontierland– I was really nervous before this party! Frontierland is one of the bigger and well-known chapters on campus so I didn’t know what to expect. Their chant was cute and I felt a really good energy in the room – lots of clapping and smiles! The lights were on in this room so I didn't get the magical vibe here. As always, a girl linked her arm through mine and we walked through the room together. She was easy to talk to and seemed very bubbly. She asked me what quality I looked for in a friend and she seemed to really like my answer! I asked her why she chose Frontierland and her answer was really heartwarming. I was bumped at this party, so I believe I talked to three or four girls. One of the girls I talked to was really mellow and kind of boring, but I tried to remain upbeat. Like the first party, this girl seemed very uninterested in what I was saying. They did a really fun skit that made everyone laugh and also played a video of their sisterhood. The video was fun to watch and the sisters seemed to love each other. Overall, I had a good time at this party and I was relieved that it went smoothly.

Tomorrowland– I was finally at my last party! Although I only had four parties, this seemed like the longest night of my life. I don’t remember much about Tomorrowland’s chant or their room (so I guess they didn’t stand out to me), but I definitely felt welcomed with the sisters. The girls in Tomorrowland were really easy to talk to, although they didn't really strike me as girls I could be best friends with... but I could be wrong! The first girl I talked to was a little awkward, but she seemed really sweet and we found out that we lived at the same place! The next girl was nice, but she left while I was in the middle of a story so that kind of threw me off. The last girl I talked to was also easy to talk to and the conversation flowed well. Overall, the party was one of the best that day. I left the room and was surprised that I had enjoyed it so much!

I was a little upset that my day didn’t go as well as I had hoped, but I reminded myself that I had two more days to fall in love with a sorority. I ended up ranking Adventureland high because I chalked up my experience there as having a really bad recruiter. I remembered how I felt when I first walked in and I knew that Adventureland had a lot more to offer me. So at the end of the night I ranked the sororities like this:

1. Frontierland
1. Adventureland
1. Tomorrowland

2. Fantasyland

Last edited by greekgalxoxo; 09-20-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgalxoxo View Post
The sisters did a skit that was funny but it was obvious that they were trying to make fun of the “stereotypical” sorority girl. These girls were big on how they were different and not like everyone else. They really emphasized how eclectic their sorority was, etc. which is good, but it seemed like they were shoving it in our face.
This is a big mistake some smaller chapters make. They want to emphasize how they are different. But girls aren't joining different. They're joining to be in a sorority, a known entity, with expectations of finding girls like them. To sell yourself as an outcast (which is basically what they're doing) is to say you don't want girls who want to be part of a group.

Chapter members, if this is what you're doing, please stop. It won't work. You don't have to be cookie cutters but there is a common bond between you. Emphasize THAT.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
This is a big mistake some smaller chapters make. They want to emphasize how they are different. But girls aren't joining different. They're joining to be in a sorority, a known entity, with expectations of finding girls like them. To sell yourself as an outcast (which is basically what they're doing) is to say you don't want girls who want to be part of a group.

Chapter members, if this is what you're doing, please stop. It won't work. You don't have to be cookie cutters but there is a common bond between you. Emphasize THAT.
A zillion amens to this. When I joined AXiD I didn't want renegades but wanted to find a oneness of sisterhood & common interests even if we were all unique. Does that makes sense? Lol