GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,305
1 members and 2,304 guests
MSKKG

Old 10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

U AL Black greek organizations recruit differently (and strangely)

Black greek organizations recruit differently

Process serious and secretive, they say
By Alexandra Battito
Contributing Writer
October 17, 2005

All greek organizations on (U of AL) campus emphasize basic ideals of brotherhood or sisterhood, leadership and community service.

But fraternities and sororities in the traditionally black greek organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council differ greatly in their methods of finding and initiating new members.

Unlike the organizations in the Interfraternity Council and Alabama Panhellenic Association, who typically begin their search for new members as early as spring and summer and officially pledge most prospective members a few weeks into the fall semester, NPHC organizations have an entirely unique, strict and secretive way of rushing and initiating new members.

"We don't just openly go out and advertise," said Will Henry, a senior and head of publicity for Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. "When you go to convocation, you express your interest in becoming greek."

Before joining an individual NPHC chapter, prospective members must first become a member of the national chapter at the greek convocation held at the beginning of each semester, said Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity President Clinton Johnson.

"The girls call theirs 'rushes.' We call ours 'awareness seminars' or 'interest meetings' where you come, learn more about [the fraternity], find out about the application process," Johnson said.

The process begins not by writing letters to incoming college students, or hosting events to encourage new members to join, but simply by word of mouth.

"If we see someone who we think will believe or live up to the aims of the fraternity, then we may try to recruit him - just ask him if he's ever looked into joining the fraternity," Johnson said. "But we don't have gatherings where we try to get 50 or 60 people to come, it's nothing like that."

After convocation, the information meetings and the intake process begin, Henry said. At the end of the semester, NPHC chapters announce which ones, if any, will be accepting new members. Currently, there are no pledges to a NPHC organization, only prospective members who are beginning to attend information meetings.

"A chapter won't necessarily have initiates every semester," said Brian Johnson, a senior majoring in international marketing and Alpha Phi Alpha member. "It all depends on what the chapter feels that they need."

Hiron Stiell, a senior and recording secretary of Delta Sigma Theta sorority, said each chapter votes on whether they will accept initiates at the end of the semester and no one knows who will accept new members and who will not until then.

The process is so secretive that current members cannot disclose any information about it.

"The intake process within our organizations is basically there to build character," said Curtis Helton, a junior and member of Phi Beta Sigma. "That's about as much as I can discuss about our organization's process. It's pretty serious."

Although all greek organizations on campus have an anti-hazing policy, the NPHC has a broader definition of hazing that it strictly enforces.

"We do not condone hazing in any form or fashion - mentally, physically, spiritually. It's a major part of it," Brian Johnson said.

The NPHC definition of hazing differs from that of other greeks, Henry said.

"Like you see at football games in the student section - the guys in suits and the girls in dresses," Henry said. "Those are potential pledges for some fraternity or sorority in IFC [or Panhellenic].

"But if we did that, it would be hazing."

Henry said it is a popular misconception that NPHC organizations only recruit black students.

"NPHC organizations were actually founded for black men and women to better establish themselves in the community as far as voting rights, educational rights, and finances, but as we grew we took on other [ethnicities]," said Henry.

Curtis Helton said he is the only white member of Phi Beta Sigma right now, but he is not the first white member of the chapter.

"It's a personal decision I made," Helton said.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

How is that strange?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
How is that strange?
Because it's something that hoosier doesn't do/agree with.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
So recruitment is more formalized and not an advertising blitz... different but not strange.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

BGLO intake process vs GLO intake process = DIFFERENT

= STRANGE

= STRANGE

= Well, you be the judge.

*Edited to change out troll pic. Couldn't tell if that was an umbilical cord or not....

Last edited by Tickled Pink 2; 10-17-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by Tickled Pink 2

*snortlaugh*
Old 10-17-2005, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
LOL at the Bush pic!

Strange, I think not. Even some other non-NPHC fraternities and sororites do this.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 10-17-2005, 05:48 PM

Diffferent doesn't equal strange.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tickled Pink 2

lol...but yeah doesn't seem strange at all to me...it would be strange if they were doing that and nobody became members and they kept doing it. it's working so who is anyone else to call it strange? eyes really need to be opened to the fact that there are lots of ways to do things...

and yes, other non-nphc orgs do things the same if not similar on campuses across the country
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

They are welcome to do what ever they choose, and I wish them success.

According to the Dean of Students website, Spring 2004, Alpha Phi Alpha had 10 members and 16 pledges. Delta Sigma Theta had 30 members and 25 pledges. Congratulations to them.

The other six groups (Omegas, Phi Beta Sigma, AKA, Delta Xi Phi, Sigma Gamma Rho, and Zeta Phi Beta) had a total of three pledges among them.

The eight groups had a total of 137 members on a campus with over 2500 Black students.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
And now, my impersonation of every hoosier thread:

"Blah blah, black people get special treatment, blah blah, white men have no rights anymore, blee blee, I heard it on Fox News (or read it in Opinion Journal) therefore it must be true, bleh, bleh, left wing liberal media conspiracy."

*takes a bow*
Old 10-17-2005, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Bush's approval rating is not high in this thread, unfortunately. Damn Jane Fonda and her torrid affair with John Kerry and the unfortunate results on baseball and lower sorority rush turnouts in the south. Back when there were no democrats, hurricanes never made landfall! DA!

Shit, now I'm just confused.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

The eight groups had a total of 137 members on a campus with over 2500 Black students.

Is this what you find strange/interesting?

Many are called but few are chosen.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

According to the Dean of Students website, Spring 2004, Alpha Phi Alpha had 10 members and 16 pledges. Delta Sigma Theta had 30 members and 25 pledges. Congratulations to them.

The other six groups (Omegas, Phi Beta Sigma, AKA, Delta Xi Phi, Sigma Gamma Rho, and Zeta Phi Beta) had a total of three pledges among them.

Regardless to their numbers, they do a lot of great work in the community. I know several members of Sigma Gamma Rho and Phi Beta Sigma on that campus, and they are all very active in the community.

I always say, quality over quantity.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM

137 out of a total of 2500 is somewhere around 5.5% isn't it?

That's not too far below the total greek to student body population at some universities.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.