GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,181
0 members and 2,181 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2006, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
However, those I've seen don't really seem to have a point, other than having people from different cultures. Seeing as the world is filled with such people, I see no point in forming a group if diversity is the single goal.
Like I said in a previous post, many people hang out in cliques that are the same race or same ethnicity. So even if MCGLO's were just about having a diverse racial/ethnic/cultural mix, it would be something that is different from what just naturally exists in the groups of friends that form on campus, and I don't see how that's pointless. In addition, I believe that most, if not all, MCGLO's are also about educating the college community about different cultures and educating/getting people involved in issues relelvent to different cultures.

PSimissU
Old 07-30-2006, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I mean, if they have values, which I suspect they do, its fine. I just think the ones I've witnessed don't really get the idea of what those groups should be about. Basically, it looks like they walked through a building, gathered up everyone of color, threw in 5 white folks, and then decided, hell, lets be a GLO. They don't really proclaim to be working for anything, or to have any common goals or beliefs. My point originally was that I dont understand the point of a MC group, if the only point of the group is to be MC. I'm not saying they shouldnt exist, I just personally don't get the point. My issue comes with the lack of standards some of these groups have. They take anyone who wants in. To me, thats not really a GLO, its just a club. But whatever, I'm sure there are good MC organizations who have all the other aspects of traditional GLOs, its just that I haven't seen them.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We have thousands upon thousands of dollars that we use to find the best guys that we can, and frankly, I don't see why we should be obligated to go out there and find those one or two black guys that fit the same persona as us.
You are not obligated to recruit black folks at all but why is there a question as to why MCGLO's exist is my concern? You don't have a problem with them as far as I can tell but your board mate, Shinerbock, certainly does.

Quote:
However, those I've seen don't really seem to have a point, other than having people from different cultures.
I'm going to share a little bit of wisdom from a great philosopher with you:
"No investigation. No right to speak." - Confucius

MCGLO's do tons of hours of community service (actually service is prerequisite for membership into most MCGLOs), facilitate discussions on a wide variety of issues including race and multiculturalism, promote scholarship by sponsoring scholarship programs, tutoring/mentoring programs and offers members opportunities to socialize and network. Sounds pretty similar to what most GLO's offer but having people from different cultures and backgrounds provides a welcoming atmosphere for some people like Macallan wants to be with folks who like Scotch, cigars and fly fish. They have common interests which does place a premium on cultural exchange and being able to celebrate their racial/cultural heritage.

They exist because POC (people of color) and multi-cultural minded folks want a place to feel welcomed, share common interests and work toward improving the campus and their home communities.

PhDiva
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Lack of standards??

Maybe at your campus but most MCGLO's and BGLO's have stringent requirements for entrance which often rival and/or surpass historically white GLO's. Beyond having a certain GPA for admission, MCGLO and BGLO's often require community service before admission and to my knowledge, most historically white GLO's don't. You have to have demonstrated commitment to public service before you are considered.

Not every black or Latin person on your campus is in a MCGLO and have you bothered to ask any of them why? Some choose not to join; others were rejected. That in itself implies standards. Again, "No investigation. No right to speak."

PhDiva
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I mean, if they have values, which I suspect they do, its fine. I just think the ones I've witnessed don't really get the idea of what those groups should be about. Basically, it looks like they walked through a building, gathered up everyone of color, threw in 5 white folks, and then decided, hell, lets be a GLO. They don't really proclaim to be working for anything, or to have any common goals or beliefs. My point originally was that I dont understand the point of a MC group, if the only point of the group is to be MC. I'm not saying they shouldnt exist, I just personally don't get the point. My issue comes with the lack of standards some of these groups have. They take anyone who wants in. To me, thats not really a GLO, its just a club. But whatever, I'm sure there are good MC organizations who have all the other aspects of traditional GLOs, its just that I haven't seen them.
For the groups that you've witnessed, how much did you get to know about them? Have you ever had any actual contact with them? Do you know what activities and events they've held? When you say you don't think they get what being Greek should be all about, what are you basing that on? I'm not doubting that there are groups out there that really don't do anything. I'm just wondering if this is the case...like you've actually witnessed their lack of sisterhood/brotherhood and witnessed that they don't do any social events or brotherhood/sisterhood events or community service or Greek Council events? Or is your lowly opinion of them based only on how they look...like "oh those girls aren't cute, so that must mean that they'll take just anyone, which means the fraternities probably don't socialize with them, so their sorority must suck"?

PSimissU

Last edited by SOPi_Jawbreaker; 07-30-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDiva
I

Shinerbock - Probably, if you checked your prejudice at the door, you might find some black folks who might want to join your org. but with assumptions about black folks "fit", they will never bang your down down. You fail to see how your prejudical beliefs are becoming self-fulling prophecies.

PhDiva
Well, Shinerbock IS talking about *HIS SCHOOL* and not other schools. Different schools have different cultures.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

People on here are ridiculous. Literacy is something you should pursue.

NOTICE WHAT I SAID...if the SOLE point of a MC group is to be MC, I don't really get it. As stated previously, my questioning of this is based on my experiences with the groups at my school. When I talk about requirements, I mean having similar backgrounds, beliefs, something everyone can rally around. I believe the point of GLO's is to bring people together who have common ideals, values, etc. Thus, if MC groups are just MC, and that is the only uniting factor, I PERSONALLY don't get the point. Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty who are normal GLO's, just filled with MC people, and I understand that completely. However, if it is just hey, whoever wants to be in is in, I don't get the point. In my experience, that is how they are. We had a university forced social with a MC group, and when talking to the people, they claimed no common belief or core value. Also, I don't really consider GPA requirements to be something that really unify a group of people. I had a 3.6, I guess that means me and everyone else who had a 3.6 should get together and start a fraternity. Wait, that sounds stupid, as does a MC group which has the sole mission of being an MC group.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
NOTICE WHAT I SAID...if the SOLE point of a MC group is to be MC, I don't really get it.
All Greek orgs have a purpose/mission statement (including your own). But, I don't know of any MCGLOs whose sole purpose is multiculturalism. Theta Nu Xi for example has five tenets: Scholarship, Service, Sisterhood, Leadership and Multiculturalism. Each of these tenets is vital to our identity as Theta Women. These tenets aren't just for show...we plan events around them and we expect to see them demonstrated by our aspirants. Our mission is:

To promote leadership, multiculturalism, and self-improvement through academic excellence, involvement in and service to the campus and community, as well as being living examples of sisterhood across different races, cultures, religions, backgrounds, and lifestyles.

We deeply value our bond of sisterhood. We enjoy socializing and networking within our own organization and across organizational boundaires.

Quote:
I PERSONALLY don't get the point.
Exactly.

So, what is the purpose that your founders laid out for your organization? And, what benefit do you gain from membership? I could ask you the point of your organization. What are you rallying around? But, I know that, at the heart of the fraternity, there is a bond of brotherhood upon which the rest of your ideals hang. And, the same goes for all of us.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigh, I give up. Jeni, I'm sure even those MC groups at my school have some sort of foundation, they just don't show it, and their members couldnt tell me anything about it. Maybe they didn't want to, maybe its a secret, or maybe they just are a crappy chapter. Everyone arguing with me seems to ignore the differences I'm making between MC groups. When I said I don't understand the purpose, I was referring to groups who seemingly don't do anything, stand for much, and are simply groups of MC people. The ones that actively pursue a mission or some common cause, I fully understand the point of. Let me break it down, because apparently we're having some communication difficulties...

What I understand: Groups which are MC, but that is not their primary purpose. They function like any other chapter, having common beliefs, interests, etc. They also have standards for membership (GPA, certain qualities that members tend to possess).

What I don't understand: The chapter(s) on my campus (and elsewhere, if they exist) which seem to be MC , with no other real activity, unifying factor, or standards for membership. They mostly let anybody in, and the people have nothing in common other than being multi cultural. There are other traditional chapters I've seen who also fit this category. For example, the ones that basically hand out bids. I think a prime purpose of greek life is to seperate oneself from the rest of the campus. Not to seclude obviously, but rather to hold the group to a higher standard, and to do so requires the best students. If you're just letting anybody in, then you're not a fraternity, you're simply a random sampling of society.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

My question to Shinerbock is this:

You always talk about culture and fitting in to your chapter. If a young white guy from an upper class family (complete with a prep school background, country club membership, etc) who isn't from Georgia (say, his family has roots both in the south and the northeast, but he decides to go to school in the south.) comes to your school, will he have a chance? Say his father is a diplomat and this guy went to elementary and middle school all over the world before going to boarding school in ninth grade. He's eaten things and has interests that you and your guys may never have seen or had exposure to. Personally, I'd want someone like that in my chapter, because this person can teach us a great deal.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
I am sorry, but I just don't see, especially in the South, blacks and minorities lined up at prominent white top fraternites wanting to receive a bid. I mean, show me a black guy that likes Huey Lewis and the News, Steve Winwood, Texas Music, Widespread Panic, wearing loafers and croakies, and is educated in fine Scotch and cigars......and i'd probobly think he was pretty badass........I have yet to see it......anywhere......period.
Hey, that totally describes some of my uncles...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

As was stated somewhere, it is finding the right persona and fit with the people that one feels most comfortable with.

Who are we to judge them?

The new groups so to speak have done just that.

Give credit where credit is due.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What I don't understand: The chapter(s) on my campus (and elsewhere, if they exist) which seem to be MC , with no other real activity, unifying factor, or standards for membership. They mostly let anybody in, and the people have nothing in common other than being multi cultural. There are other traditional chapters I've seen who also fit this category. For example, the ones that basically hand out bids. I think a prime purpose of greek life is to seperate oneself from the rest of the campus. Not to seclude obviously, but rather to hold the group to a higher standard, and to do so requires the best students. If you're just letting anybody in, then you're not a fraternity, you're simply a random sampling of society.
I now understand and agree with you. If there are chapters out there doing absolutely nothing, I'd question their existence. But, you probably wouldn't have to because they'd be taking themselves down.

And, you know how I feel about handing out bids. I have no qualms about voting someone out who isn't right for my organization. It's a business deal, not a personal one.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
As was stated somewhere, it is finding the right persona and fit with the people that one feels most comfortable with.
This isn't an issue for me. I don't attempt to assess how comfortable someone is. I look at aspirants qualifications to determine if they will be able to take on the responsibilities of membership. Then, I have to see a little something extra to really be convinced.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding your question about the diplomat's son...I don't see why we wouldnt bid him. If he fits in, he fits in. It is pretty rare we take people from outside the south, but if they had all the familiar trappings of someone with southern heritage, it would be fine. Now, there are certain fraternities that might not. For example, some top tier schools at Ole Miss won't bid you unless you're from a private school in Mississippi. I personally think that is stupid, especially since I went to public school. Our fraternity is about half and half as far as school, but it probably evens out, given that Atlanta and Birmingham metro area public schools are often as good if not better than Alabama or Mississippi private schools. Also, we don't limit ourselves to just Alabama (I went to Auburn) in taking pledges. Of course there are places we somewhat avoid in the south (some Atlanta, Florida), but we also get a lot of our guys from the Carolinas (Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston). I mean, I love the South, but I'd probably vote to bid a kid from Vermont if he was cool enough. Granted, I'd make fun of him for being a yankee, but so long as he didn't partake in yankee practices like voting democratic, I wouldnt foresee a problem.