GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,518
0 members and 1,518 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2001, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy King Remembered

As a child, I attended a private Black Baptist elementary school. On April 4th, we'd take time to acknowledge the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I was sorely remissed that on today, I haven't read one headline or byline in rememberance of Dr. King nor his life. Is it that January 15 or the observed date is enough?

Did you remember that today was the day of MLK's assassination? If so, what did you do in rememberance?

As for me, I said a prayer for his surviving family and for the civil rights struggle especially in this so-called Post-Affirmative Action Era.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2001, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Man! This is the first year I ever remember not hearing anything about this being the anniversary of his death. I must admit I COMPLETELY forgot...I guess some of us need reminders. Personally, while I do think the anniversary of death, especially of a person who died fighting for a virtuous cause, is important, remembering the lives of such people around their birth dates and year-round is more important.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I remembered it with the help of the Tom Joyner Morning show...lol

During their discussion, it was mentioned that even though there was a conspiracy trial in 99, it still is believed that James Earl Ray was not the assassin. Also, that the Lorraine hotel, where he was shot, was not supposed to be the hotel he was to reside. In fact, it was a hotel by the name of The Peabody, where Dr. King ORIGINALLY was to stay. It was said that The Peabody was more upscale and all, as opposed to the Lorraine. Some kind of way, the plans were changed AT THE LAST MINUTE...

Something to make one think....Now, if Dr. King would have stayed at the Peabody, would he have been assassinated? God only knows.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

There was a special on the History Channel yesterday about King's life and death. Supposedly, JE Ray was holding the gun for some mysterious unnamed person so he didn't know what was being planned. JE Ray alleges he did not pull the trigger and that up to that day, he did not even know MLK was going to be in town. The special (produced by BBC) indicated that the FBI was absolved from involvement in the assasination as a result of the congressional hearings where JE Ray testified.

The program concluded with a statement that the true assassins of MLK will never be known. :shaking my head:

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:
I remembered it with the help of the Tom Joyner Morning show...lol

During their discussion, it was mentioned that even though there was a conspiracy trial in 99, it still is believed that James Earl Ray was not the assassin. Also, that the Lorraine hotel, where he was shot, was not supposed to be the hotel he was to reside. In fact, it was a hotel by the name of The Peabody, where Dr. King ORIGINALLY was to stay. It was said that The Peabody was more upscale and all, as opposed to the Lorraine. Some kind of way, the plans were changed AT THE LAST MINUTE...

Something to make one think....Now, if Dr. King would have stayed at the Peabody, would he have been assassinated? God only knows.

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913
Old 04-05-2001, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

When I visited the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee recently, it was mentioned that Lorraine Motel was often frequented by King whenever he visited the city. What was interesting is that he often stayed in Room 207, and on that day, he was in Room 208.

I personally believe that Dr. King was a prophet of God and knew it was his time. If you listen to the speech given the night before at the Masonic Temple C.O.G.I.C., you too may agree with me.

DG, I hear you with remembering the life of someone. In this instance, I think its also important to remember his death as it, too, holds significance. Its important in an historical sense to me as it marks a notable shift in the civil rights struggle, as well as an end to valiant soldier's fight.

------------------
I will bless the Lord at ALL times His praise shall continually be in my mouth. (Psalms 34:1, KJV)
Old 04-05-2001, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred:
The program concluded with a statement that the true assassins of MLK will never be known. :shaking my head:
I would really like to know the truth about this. We'll know the real identity behind "Deep Throat" before we ever...if we ever... find out.

Old 04-05-2001, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you guys seen the new Cingular commercial featuring footage of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech? Well they did some sort of special effects to it. I can't really explain the commercial, but I really like it. Well a lot of people have become outraged over the commercial and upset that Cingular would use King's legacy to sell a product. Well in my opinion, I don't feel that the commercial was done in poor taste at all. But whether you agree or not, the King family own the rights to his legacy. They can do with it what they please. And I'm sure your soror, and her family would not disgrace his legacy at all. Some folks are saying though that Dr. King is "our" legacy is well. What do you guys think? They had a big discussion about it like a week ago on CNN's "Talk Live".

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 04-05-2001, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:
Have you guys seen the new Cingular commercial featuring footage of Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech? Well they did some sort of special effects to it. I can't really explain the commercial, but I really like it. Well a lot of people have become outraged over the commercial and upset that Cingular would use King's legacy to sell a product. Well in my opinion, I don't feel that the commercial was done in poor taste at all. But whether you agree or not, the King family own the rights to his legacy. They can do with it what they please. And I'm sure your soror, and her family would not disgrace his legacy at all. Some folks are saying though that Dr. King is "our" legacy is well. What do you guys think? They had a big discussion about it like a week ago on CNN's "Talk Live".
The movement is a legacy type of event for all Black Americans. Dr. King the man is the property of God. His earthly estate is in the hands of the King family. They are and should remain the sole controllers of the rights to all MLK speeches, films, etc. I just pray that they continue to use integrity in doing so.

Getting specific with the Cingular ad, I think that it's good. It's a subtle reminder of the man. And, the Center for Nonviolence, I'm certain profits from it. So I say, why not?

Old 04-05-2001, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Nupe4Life, I know what you are talking about. Julian Bond was on the "Today" show recently. To paraphrase what he said, he thinks the King image is becoming too commercialized, and I tend to agree with him. My sister saw one commercial where he is giving his "I Have A Dream" speech and all the people at the march on Washington were deleted from the commercial.

I think his family needs to think about how they want future generations to view Dr. King. His image is not a gimmick that should be used for marketing purposes or simply to cash in. Sure, cellular phones "bring people together" and get us connected, but it's not the kind of getting together Dr. King speaks of. I just think they should choose projects more wisely.

Nupe4Life, I respectfully disagree.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

The riots.
Old 04-06-2001, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Remember Malcolm has been commercialized as well, esp arounf the release of the Spike Lee Joint about him.

Quote:
Originally posted by AKAtude:
Nupe4Life, I know what you are talking about. Julian Bond was on the "Today" show recently. To paraphrase what he said, he thinks the King image is becoming too commercialized, and I tend to agree with him. My sister saw one commercial where he is giving his "I Have A Dream" speech and all the people at the march on Washington were deleted from the commercial.

I think his family needs to think about how they want future generations to view Dr. King. His image is not a gimmick that should be used for marketing purposes or simply to cash in. Sure, cellular phones "bring people together" and get us connected, but it's not the kind of getting together Dr. King speaks of. I just think they should choose projects more wisely.

Nupe4Life, I respectfully disagree.

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913