GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,250
2 members and 1,248 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Continuous Recruitment

It's been a conversation in my chapter that although we say we want to do continuous recruitment, we're realistically actually only "open" two weeks per year. So, we've decided that we're going to have to make some changes on how things are done.

Some ideas that my chapter's been coming up with include:
- Making it an expectation that someone always invites a non-brother whenever we hang out.
- Having a formal process to get the fraternity acquainted with PNMs and bid them if appropriate.
- Focusing more on social skills in member education (we're aren't exactly the most social people) in order to connect with more PNMs.

Does your chapter continuously recruit? If so, what are the things you do?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM

We had lots of sisters who were involved in the music program and also in theater. Usually we went to their recitals/plays as a group. This is one of the best times to bring along a nonmember to hang out.

I'll just say this - make friends with the person first. I don't mean facebook friends, I mean don't talk to someone in class one day and invite them to a rush event the next. Take time to build a real relationship. Ideally, you want it to get to the point where the person likes and feels comfy with you and your other friends (who happen to be your brothers) so much so that THEY ask YOU "how do I pledge you guys?"

Get used to talking to all different kinds of people, but don't look at everyone just as a rush prospect...because they're not. Don't ever think you've "wasted time" on someone if they don't end up pledging...you made a friend, and that's never bad. Some friends will fit in with your brothers and some won't.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It sounds like you are already thinking in this direction, but make sure that a COR rushee doesn't have to meet a million guys to get a bid. If you are not holding formal rush events, they may not meet as many people as quickly, and you don't want to drag things out forever because he hasn't met everyone in the chapter.

Obviously, I don't know your MS, but I would make it so that either a small committee can approve a bid or a small committee can recommend to the chapter that they get a bid or something like that.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It sounds like you are already thinking in this direction, but make sure that a COR rushee doesn't have to meet a million guys to get a bid. If you are not holding formal rush events, they may not meet as many people as quickly, and you don't want to drag things out forever because he hasn't met everyone in the chapter.

Obviously, I don't know your MS, but I would make it so that either a small committee can approve a bid or a small committee can recommend to the chapter that they get a bid or something like that.
NO. No no no no no.

There's no quicker way to disenfranchise members than saying "well, you weren't there on Tuesday, but we extended bids to these 5 guys anyway."

If there are guys whose schedules don't permit them being at a lot of the rush events - formal or informal - at the very least, send them a text with the names of the guys you're thinking about. There's no excuse in this day and age not to keep the ENTIRE chapter informed about what you're doing.

Not only that...Brad Brother who couldn't come to the rush events (formal or informal) not because he's a slacker, but because he's on the football team and doesn't have a spare moment right now, may have some very important info about Ron Rushee...like maybe that Ron deals in his spare time.

Rushing (pun intended) to give bids doesn't make for a happy fraternity or well qualified brothers. The 5 steps do not take 5 minutes. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they take 2 years. If you can't realize that, you should just skip doing informal because you'll get immediately frustrated.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
NO. No no no no no.

There's no quicker way to disenfranchise members than saying "well, you weren't there on Tuesday, but we extended bids to these 5 guys anyway."

If there are guys whose schedules don't permit them being at a lot of the rush events - formal or informal - at the very least, send them a text with the names of the guys you're thinking about. There's no excuse in this day and age not to keep the ENTIRE chapter informed about what you're doing.

Not only that...Brad Brother who couldn't come to the rush events (formal or informal) not because he's a slacker, but because he's on the football team and doesn't have a spare moment right now, may have some very important info about Ron Rushee...like maybe that Ron deals in his spare time.

Rushing (pun intended) to give bids doesn't make for a happy fraternity or well qualified brothers. The 5 steps do not take 5 minutes. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they take 2 years. If you can't realize that, you should just skip doing informal because you'll get immediately frustrated.
I'm not saying that members shouldn't have "right of refusal". I absolutely think that any current member should be able to express their concerns, and that the chapter should handle that per its MS guidelines. What I'm saying is that the chapter should get comfortable with the idea that fewer people may meet the guy during COR than would during formal rush, and that's okay.

While it would be nice for every member to meet every PNM, it a) holds up the process timewise, b) can be really awkward as you move from "hanging with the PNM" to "actively rushing the PNM" and c) may not accomplish much, anyway.

(To clarify item "b", say you have a dude who is friends with some guys in the chapter. He's met a few key people like the president and rush chair, but mostly hangs around with his five friends. It may be the time to say "hey, bill, have you ever thought about joining?" If, instead, you have to parade him around and introduce him to everyone first, he may be like "WTF?")

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 11-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

The PNM has to realize at some point that he's actively being rushed. If not, he might be a little bit pissed. Like I said if you're doing it right, it should get to the point where the rushee ASKS for a bid. You shouldn't have to "parade" him because one of the things you invited him to should have been an event that brothers attend en masse (like the theater productions I suggested).

I know of people who were GREAT with me and 3 other friends. The rest of the chapter, however, couldn't stand them.

The timeline is different for every rushee. When you try to force things is when they don't work out. That's when the rushee feels like you had zero interest in him as a person, and that you were just looking at him as a number to add to your chapter.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I never thought this thread would ever get so heated. There's definitely a lot of subtle points involved.

The formal process idea is there so that chapter members have an avenue to introduce PNMs to the rest of the chapter. An awkward situation that a few of my brothers and I have run into is one where a PNM (who we're already friends with) asks about my fraternity in the middle of the semester, and there's really no way to follow up for a few months. Even if we continue socializing with that guy, he's feeling that we're stonewalling him.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM

My chapter often invited guys over to our house just to hang out. That way they got to know us as a group in a more relaxed situation.

All those events that get held during rush? Do them in smaller groups during the semester and invite a few guys.
-"Hey, I'm going to Buffalo Wild Wings on Thursday with a couple of my fraternity brothers. Want to come?"
-"Tom. Several guys from my chapter are going to go play broom hockey. We always need extra guys. Come with us."
^^For these types, offer to pick the guy/s up. It can be very intimidating walking into a group of friends/chapter brothers. It can be easier to walk in with someone who's already a brother.

It doesn't even have to be a huge event. Going to Wendy's? Get 2 chapter brothers and 1 or 2 rushees. Invite them over to watch football or basketball games. Just think of all the ways that you and your chapter brothers hang out. Can you include a couple/few rushees? Usually.

When I was an undergrad, we did all of these things. We didn't even think about it. Unless it was specified "Brothers Only", we always had a couple of guys around to get to know. The result was that we had several guys who said: "I never planned on joining a fraternity, until I met you guys."

When have you gotten to know your own chapter brothers? At a big, formal dance when the music's super loud, Tom's throwing up in the bushes outside, Joey and his date are screaming at each other? Or, when you, Tom, and Joey are sitting at a table, playing poker and just chatting? Which one is the better recruitment tool?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 11-02-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity ...

We do our rush year round. Bids can be given out pretty much once the semester is about to end. The actual rush events are a week were most bids are given out though. Still, we give out bids at nearly any time.

If this is what you were asking, your welcome. If not, disregard.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
It's been a conversation in my chapter that although we say we want to do continuous recruitment, we're realistically actually only "open" two weeks per year. So, we've decided that we're going to have to make some changes on how things are done.

Some ideas that my chapter's been coming up with include:
- Making it an expectation that someone always invites a non-brother whenever we hang out.
- Having a formal process to get the fraternity acquainted with PNMs and bid them if appropriate.
- Focusing more on social skills in member education (we're aren't exactly the most social people) in order to connect with more PNMs.

Does your chapter continuously recruit? If so, what are the things you do?
1) Great idea in theory, but how do you enforce that expectation? If your group aren't the most social people, you will find it really hard to get this to happen.

2) COR + Formal Process = Mixed Signals. For us, COR was getting to know someone and bringing the person around the chapter. The only time we had anything formal is when we did our interview, which was casual. Having too many formal processes can make COR not really COR.

3) I can see this backfiring with some people taking it as an insult rather than a help. Call it a 'rush clinic' or some sort and call them 'rushing tactics' rather than 'focusing on social skills.'

In practice for my chapter, COR just meant shortlisting people once we gave bids out during Fall or Spring rush.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
2) COR + Formal Process = Mixed Signals. For us, COR was getting to know someone and bringing the person around the chapter. The only time we had anything formal is when we did our interview, which was casual. Having too many formal processes can make COR not really COR.
I disagree, for the reason I stated above. There needs to be a process for how a PNM is brought up for consideration, how it is decided if he will get a bid, how the bid is issued, how long he has to accept the bid, what he does once he accepts, etc. Otherwise you will lose good guys.