GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
Low D Flat

Old 07-14-2020, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

AEPi St. Andrews Assault Allegations

Not an “official” chapter.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/uk/st...ntl/index.html
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

By not official, it's not recognized by the school, but it's definitely a legitimate chapter of AEPi.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended university in the UK for my postgraduate studies. I was a little bit surprised by the nightlife scene among the undergraduates. They do pub crawling, but on steroids. Like, binge drink pub crawling.

However, what was really shocking and disturbing to me was the very public hazing of students in university-sponsored clubs/societies and sports teams. I mean, they outright published photos of the physical hazing and forced binge drinking in the student newspaper. So, I am not surprised to hear of problems in the fraternity. It seems to me that British universities have a general problem with their student societies running a bit wild. That said, those in St. Andrews would be very naive to think that such assaults are limited to the "US-style frat house".

Edited to add: I just read some of the Instagram posts by students who posted accounts of their rapes/assaults. I didn't read all of them; but, it does appear that these #metoo posts were not specifically targeting AEPi like the CNN article suggested.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 07-14-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Holy Hannah!

My mother was an alumna of St Andrews. She was completely unfamiliar with the concept of Greek Life, and I had to explain it to her when I pledged. No GLOs back in the day. There was activity that, by today's standards, could be considered hazing, but no sexual harassment (at least none that was reported).

I'm shocked and disappointed.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Having lived overseas, I’m not a fan of UK drinking standards. (And Irish)
The Germans do it much better. ��
Old 07-16-2020, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Holy Hannah!

My mother was an alumna of St Andrews. She was completely unfamiliar with the concept of Greek Life, and I had to explain it to her when I pledged. No GLOs back in the day. There was activity that, by today's standards, could be considered hazing, but no sexual harassment (at least none that was reported).

I'm shocked and disappointed.
When was your mom there? We didn’t report sexual assault in the 80s. Looking back, I’m horrified at what was standard at frat parties. And remember “date rape” wasn’t even a term yet.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
When was your mom there? We didn’t report sexual assault in the 80s. Looking back, I’m horrified at what was standard at frat parties. And remember “date rape” wasn’t even a term yet.
Late 1950s / early 1960s.