GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,329
0 members and 1,329 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Going GREEK!!! (ADVICE PLEASE, ALL ACCEPTED BUT ALPHAS PREFERRED)

Alpha Males,

I have a huge issue I need your advice in solving. I am a sophomore in college and ever since before I started, I have wanted to become a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. The interest is still present, however it seems as though last year the Alphas on my current campus would stare at me or if I knew them, they would ignore me sometimes and other times they wouldn't. I chalked this up to me being paranoid and left it alone. I still get that feeling but I've learned to just disregard it.
Also, my homeboy and I were talking about Greeks one night. His older brother attends our school and is an Alpha. Both of us would like to be accepted to pledge. His brother naturally assumes that my homeboy is going to try to pledge Alpha, and knows the same about me because his brother and him had had conversations about it before.
My biggest issue is that I only have a 2.58GPA. I know that you are only required to have a 2.5GPA to pledge an BGLO, but will the fact that I am right on that mark count against me...especially because they are the branded "intellectual" Alphas...or will it be based more on me as a person since I have met the required mark, am involved in community service, as well as my schools SGA, and feel that I bring a lot to the table.

I would appreciate responses ASAP seeing as the Greek Informational Session is on this upcoming Monday and afterward we are given the opportunity to go to break-off sessions for the GLO of our particular interst.

Thank You in Advance,

Lightseeker

Last edited by HeartofGold06; 09-10-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you said you would accept all advice, I'd advise you NOT to ask on here, and instead go the Info session and talk to the gentlemen in question.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I know but the thing is, I don't want to go to their info session when there is no chance for me, and make an ass out of myself.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Some may tell you that asking on here is making a larger ass out of yourself. The Divine Nine members have made it clear that membership info is private. It's an information session, I suggest going and getting information.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

are you part of the D9?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofGold06
are you part of the D9?

Does it matter? She's giving you sound advice. Check the stickies at the top of the AKA and DST forums. Same thing applies. D9 or not, we've been around long enough to know what we're talking about.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
are you part of the D9?
No I'm not. This does not change the quality of my statements in anyway. There's a reason that only two NPC members have replied to you thus far. At the very least conduct this inquiry over PM, but you probably won't have luck there either.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Does it matter? She's giving you sound advice. Check the stickies at the top of the AKA and DST forums. Same thing applies. D9 or not, we've been around long enough to know what we're talking about.
It does, thanks though
Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It does, thanks though
Then I consign you to the depths.

/tis your own funeral.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Going to an information session would not make you look like an ass...thus the reason they call it an information session. Every chapter is different. Every person is different. Every GLO is different. I too concur with statements above, it would be in your best interest to contact a member on your campus. What are you doing now to improve your grades? They will probably want to know that and the reason behing you having a low-gpa at this point in your academic career. Just some things to think about.

Good luck on your pursuit.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Heart (I dare not write the rest),

Your screenname and that fact that you are not an Alpha is raising eyebrows for those who are in the D9 who have read and not responded. I read the thread when you first posted it.

The Alphas have this thread stuck at the top http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=38767 which will be very helpful to you.

Informational sessions are meant to be helpful for all aspirants. Right now you are on the road to Greekdom. Even if you are not chosen this year, the information imparted will be helpful in getting you ready and closer to your Greek aspirations.

Also your screenname is really stepping over the Greek boundaries if you will. To use "06" in your screenname implies that you are an Alpha. Some might say it is not so serious, but for a lot of D9 Greeks it is.

I would suggest attending the informational to learn the specifics for your campus and the Alpha chapter that you have your sights set on.

Best wishes.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Please go to this website here:

The GPA Requirements for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

And you know what, as a member of the D9 who is part of the next greek organization that will be celebrating its centennial, I find your username personally and extrememly offensive. Because my father, the Far Western Regional Director of Life Membership for this wonderful Fraternity, fought long and hard for his gains in his life. And he attended his centennial celebration with my mother who is one of my sorority sisters... I am just getting angrier as I type, so I will stop.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4
Heart (I dare not write the rest),

Your screenname and that fact that you are not an Alpha is raising eyebrows for those who are in the D9 who have read and not responded. I read the thread when you first posted it.

The Alphas have this thread stuck at the top http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=38767 which will be very helpful to you.

Informational sessions are meant to be helpful for all aspirants. Right now you are on the road to Greekdom. Even if you are not chosen this year, the information imparted will be helpful in getting you ready and closer to your Greek aspirations.

Also your screenname is really stepping over the Greek boundaries if you will. To use "06" in your screenname implies that you are an Alpha. Some might say it is not so serious, but for a lot of D9 Greeks it is.

I would suggest attending the informational to learn the specifics for your campus and the Alpha chapter that you have your sights set on.

Best wishes.
Oh the irony...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet
Please go to this website here:

The GPA Requirements for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

And you know what, as a member of the D9 who is part of the next greek organization that will be celebrating its centennial, I find your username personally and extrememly offensive. Because my father, the Far Western Regional Director of Life Membership for this wonderful Fraternity, fought long and hard for his gains in his life. And he attended his centennial celebration with my mother who is one of my sorority sisters... I am just getting angrier as I type, so I will stop.
@ your father!

And yes, very ironic.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL, i ain't mad