GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,298
1 members and 2,297 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing in Fall...I'd love advice

Hey guys.

Last edited by erchambers2006; 06-15-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I would recommend checking out the other thread going on right now called GPA Requirements. Most of what is said there would also apply to you, even though the poster in question there is a current college student.

I'm not going to lie. 2.74 High School GPA is far from stellar and is likely going to hurt you. If that were your college GPA, that wouldn't be as bad, but HS GPA is usually looked at to be higher. That being said, if you got into LSU you obviously had other things going for you (SAT, special circumstances, etc. etc.).

But I would honestly say that you have a very good chance of getting severely cut because of your GPA. I think that a sorority in question, and even many of us reading this (including myself) would question whether you could handle the academic rigours of college while joining a sorority, when you have a low HS GPA like that.

Good for you on getting all of your recs, and getting them secured early! Sorry this isn't a happier response, but it's an honest on. You may have made some mistakes in HS, but you're going to have to work hard to get past them. Good luck, but be prepared.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

By all means, still go through rush, but if that doesn't work out, you might concentrate on bringing your GPA up fall semester, and then try Open Recruitment second semester (does anyone know if LSU does spring COB/COR??). Either way, good luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I'm sorry to hear how badly you were affected by Katrina, *hugs*

I don't know what other people are going ot suggest, but seeng as how you are going to LSU and a lot of people going through rush this year there probably have been, I think it's okay for you to mention it, as long as you don't make it seem like you want pity for it. What good came out of it for you? Maybe you got invovled in the resuce efforts, or something along those lines, as much as you were able to. Put a postive spin on it, mention it, but don't make it the main foucs.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 AM

I'm guessing that there will be sorority members who when you say a) what part of the city you lived in and b) what high school you went to, will be aware of the damage that occurred there and assume you were affected by it. If they ask you about it, go ahead and tell them, matter of factly, not looking for sympathy. I wouldn't bring it up explicitly, because if you do, more likely than not there will be someone in the room who suffered twice the hardship you did, and then it WILL look like a "brag."
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

What were your grades pre-Katrina? i.e. what was your GPA the end of your junior year?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

If your grades were the same before Katrina, I personally would not bring up Katrina unless someone else brings it up. It's not an excuse for your grades, as they were the same beforehand. I understand that Katrina is a big thing down there and can't even fathom how your life has been affected. However, I don't know if it's really all that necessary or appropriate to bring up during recruitment. Paritcularly because who knows, the sorority woman rushing you may have lost a loved one in Katrina. What happened is part of who you are, but I don't know how it would be necessarily relevant to the recruitment process.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM

LSU is one of those schools with alot of rushees. After the first rounds of parties, the sororities don't know much about the girls, but have to make a cut. Many times, that cut is made by GPA. It's the only thing they have to go on at that point.

I'm going to be honest, you will experience some cuts because of your GPA. But now you know that. So I'd focus on making yourself stronger in other areas like extracurriculars or community service. This might help. It won't guarantee you a bid, but it won't hurt.

Best of luck, and do stick around to share your story!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchambers2006
Even though I know GPA's are probably the most 'un-personal' part of recruitment it feels like the houses wont have a chance to develope a personal opinion of me, or will be disinterested because of this.
Sorry to double post. There are hundreds and hundreds of girls going through recruitment. People need to get cut right off the bat. Grades are important, you're in college to get an education. Making quick judgments on people is a part of life. You have your recs, so that will help, but as has been said elsewhere on this board- grade exceptions are just that- EXCEPTIONS, not the norm. I would think, in my opinion, that they would be even more of an exception with a new freshman. Most of the exceptions seem to come with people who are rushing after they have already completed at least one semester of college.

I think that your best bet would be that if this recruitment doesn't work out, get some stellar college grades under your belt and try again.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I posted my earlier reply with the thought that Katrina made your grades suffer. Knowing that this is not the case, I'm going to agree with everyone else and say not to bring it up unless someone else does.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-15-2006, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I know very little about LSU rush, so I'm going to refrain from saying anything in particular about your GPA, because I'm just not that qualified to do so. Regarding Katrina, if someone asks you where you're from, then she herself might ask you about Katrina. I agree with other posters on here who have said that you shouldn't bring it up first, because you don't know what another person's experience with Katrina might have been like. So far, the general consensus on this board seems to be that your GPA will be a factor against you during recruitment. With that in mind, I agree with AlphaFrog that you should still go through, and then if you get cut, you could see if any chapters at your school are participating in COB or informal recruitment.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchambers2006
You guys have been so honest thus far, I really appreciate it.

I have anothers question. Is there any 'right way' to meantion that my home and HS were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina? Any one from Louisiana out there? Is the subject tooo taboo for rush. Should I assume everyone else has they're own stories, and respect that by keeping mine inside?

This has definetly effected my school and home life, including grades...

My home was badly damaged and I have live in a camper, similar to a FEMA traile that my parents purchased while we were evacuated....My HS school was destroyed and will be bulldosed next month. For 3 months I attended school from 1:15 until 6:50 on another schools campus.

Is there any way to include this on my app., resume or in conversation that won't seem like a 'Katrina Brag'.
Hi there. I'm from New Orleans and my parents lost their house as well. As an alumna of an NPC sorority at an SEC school, I would say not to talk about Katrina unless it is brought up. I would not make it out to be a sob story either if it is discussed. Also, remember to get recs because at LSU they can be important. There will be girls in your same situation (Katrina) and you might want to talk to your Recruitment Counselor about how to talk about Katrina if it is brought up. Just remember that the Greek system at LSU is huge and very competitive and do not go into recruitment with your heart set on a certain house. I know for a fact that all of our chapters are very good and very strong. Also, remember to have fun.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alumnae Panhellenic in your hometown may have good advice for you. I'm noticing more and more how active the hometown APs are here in helping rising freshmen!

I agree, you're going to have a tough time at recruitment due to the already competitive nature of LSU recruitment and your lower GPA. Don't let that stop you-- you are guaranteed to not get a bid by not going through at all!!! The best advice I can give you is to just go in, be yourself and do prepare yourself for some harsh cuts. Just know that its not personal-- it's just having to do with your grades. Keep this in mind and you'll be in a better emotional state.

Other campus activities are not a substitute for a sorority, but LSU is a large school with a lot going on. Whether or not you join a sorority, investigate opportunities with the campus organizations. You'll meet a lot of people this way and have a great time through these activities and leadership opportunities (IE: Student Senate, Homecoming, Dance Marathon, Newspaper, Circle K, pre-professional or honor society, etc.) Having this contingency plan in place may help get you through recruitment if the outcome is not what you'd hoped.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The best advice I can give about recruitment conversation is keep it light. The parties are short and you don't have enough time to get into an in depth conversation so for the first few rounds most of them will be small talk anyway. You'll probably even get asked the same questions at every house.

Good Luck with recruitment, have fun, and keep an open mind.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

erchambers, please check your pms!