GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,186
1 members and 1,185 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Top 5 Chapters You'd Like to see Re-Colonized

Use this link and scroll through our dormant chapters...
http://www.sigmanu.org/groups/underg...rs/listing.php#

Now list the top 5 chapters you'd like to see re-chartered. Mine are...

Pi - (Lehigh)
Gamma Beta - (Northwestern University)
Gamma Zeta - (University of Oregon)
Gamma Sigma - (Iowa State)
Kappa Alpha - (Western Illinois)

My reason for Kappa Alpha is because my brother is a sophomore there and is considering re-starting their chapter. He is a 22 year old Iraq war combat vet. He would get a core of other vets to re-launch SN there. That would be awesome!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
#1 - Zeta Lambda @ The University of Tulsa. My beloved chapter has been dormant since 2004 (internal house rift brought the house down). Nationals has interest in getting back on campus, and our alumni & nationals have made contact with the University. Old house has been torn down, so would need to either build or take over a university building.

My thinking is we need to push to get into the Honors House. It is right in the middle of fraternity row, would take minimal work, already looks the part, and houses up to 45.

Univ. of Tulsa Honors House:

Great Location: http://www.utulsa.edu/campusmap/ (#36 on the map, right between Lambda Chi and Sigma Chi).

#2 - Upsilon @ The University of Texas.
The site says it's not dormant, but it essentially is. We have to have the Texas flagship chapter back.

I wonder if they lease the house to KE or sold it to them?

#3 Gamma Sigma @ Iowa State. Their alumni site is great and shows everything about them. They are extremely organized and think they will be back on in Spring 2009.

They will have to either get into an open house, or build, as they sold their house to something called Alpha Sigma Phi when they went dormant.

(old Sigma Nu house ISU house)

#4 Delta Iota @ Washington State. VERY large and powerful chapter got shut down for hazing. They will have to sit out a few more years. If they can keep that mansion getting back on and to the top should be doable.

WSU house

#5 Theta Zeta @ Clemson. Nationals considers this a Top 5 chapter in the nation, so I think they will be fine when they are allowed back on.

Last edited by banditone; 06-15-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow that Delta Iota house is huge! Makes me wish we had a house/Greek row.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

is this even a question?

#1- ALPHA CHAPTER, VMI

a dream that won't come true
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 06-18-2008, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Guys, Sigma Nus at my alma mater University of Southern California rocked back in my collegiate days. I hope they are still a chapter there!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

They are still there and doing well.

http://www.uscsigmanu.com/
Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Top Five Sigma Nu Re-colonizations:

1. University of Texas (It was a prominent Sigma Nu chapter in Texas)
2. Iowa State University (Seem to have an awesome alumni core, http://www.sigmanuisu.org/)
3. The Citadel (That was my father's alma matter)
4. Texas Christian University
5. Sam Houston State University
(Last two because I am partial to Texas chapters)

The first two mentioned I contacted Chris Healy at Sigma Nu Head Quarters about them and he said that both are in the heat of discussion about restarting. Because the failed attempt of Texas should be approaching the 4 year cleansing of last members and Iowa State has an amazing alumni group at least shown through their website give both universities a great chance for success.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Check out the online Delta http://www.sigmanu.org/publications/thedelta.php

On page 23 it shows re-colonization efforts at Iowa State and University of Oregon. That is great news!

At one time, our chapter at Missouri State (formerly named Southwest Missouri State University) was a 120 man chapter and had built a massive chapter house. Then they went belly-up a few years later. That was in the mid-1990's. Now they are coming back.

I'm happy were are going back to existing schools and not doing as many brand new starts. Best to go where there will be alumni support.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. SMSU was huge? I am good friends with a girl who's dad is a major player at that university. Never knew we were that big (or even had a chapter there). And we were in school in the mid 1990's.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
#3 Gamma Sigma @ Iowa State. Their alumni site is great and shows everything about them. They are extremely organized and think they will be back on in Spring 2009.

They will have to either get into an open house, or build, as they sold their house to something called Alpha Sigma Phi when they went dormant.

(old Sigma Nu house ISU house)
Sigma Nu left campus when I was a freshman 11 years ago. Alpha Sig bought the house the next year and added to the front.

Honestly, I don't know where the chapter facility would be located. They could potentially take over the old Delta Chi house, but that's small and far away from Greekland. There are no other vacant fraternity houses at this time and nowhere to build anywhere near campus or Greekland. I also don't think that any current fraternity chapters will be closing, but you never know.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa, you can add in if i'm wrong. but the mid tier frats are like 30 men.. how big is the largest. isu is very doable as its not big time as far as greek life is concerned. if sigma nu comes back on, gets like 30 men, and comes up with a housing plan - they'd be mid tier.

you cant do that anywhere else at a big school.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
Kappa, you can add in if i'm wrong. but the mid tier frats are like 30 men.. how big is the largest. isu is very doable as its not big time as far as greek life is concerned. if sigma nu comes back on, gets like 30 men, and comes up with a housing plan - they'd be mid tier.

you cant do that anywhere else at a big school.
Chapter size at Iowa State ranges from 13 to over 90. I'd say the average is around 45-50. Recent recolonizations include Phi Psi (2007) , Beta (2005) and TKE (2004 - which was more of a restructuring than recolonization). Both Phi Psi and Beta have around 30 while TKE has around 55 members. All three chapters had maintained ownership of their house while they were off-campus/restructuring.

So while they could definitely be competitive if they colonize with 30 men, it would still take a few years for them to find their ground and flourish in the community (as it would with any recolonization).

At Iowa State, many events (Homecoming, Greek Week, VEISHEA) pair a larger fraternity with a smaller fraternity and then a sorority, and SN would probably be considered a "smaller" fraternity for at least the first few years.

Smaller numbers don't mean a whole lot at Iowa State, though. With 29 fraternities, rushees can really find the house that fits them best regardless of size.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Sigma Nu left campus when I was a freshman 11 years ago. Alpha Sig bought the house the next year and added to the front.

Honestly, I don't know where the chapter facility would be located. They could potentially take over the old Delta Chi house, but that's small and far away from Greekland. There are no other vacant fraternity houses at this time and nowhere to build anywhere near campus or Greekland. I also don't think that any current fraternity chapters will be closing, but you never know.
If I see this photograph of the old SN house at ISU I'm going to vomit. It makes me sick to know that it was sold away to another fraternity. My chapter visited there for a walk-out back in 1988 and we had a great time. Amazing location. Historic location. Gone!

They will likely never have a premier location at ISU again, unless they can sock away some dough and wait for another organization to fail. Then again, even if another organization fails, it is unlikely they will sell out. More likely they will lease the chapter house for 4-5 years and return. I still can't believe they sold that house
Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

According to their spring 2008 newsletter they have around $230,000 socked away, and that's without any fund raising yet. Not bad.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd like to see a recolonization at my alma mater, RIT. This was the Mu Zeta chapter of which I was initiated in 1998.