GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,374
0 members and 1,374 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
These suspensions happened last spring but I don't think they were posted on here until now-happy to go post them in last year's thread if bumping it is a better place for them.

William & Mary Delta Sigma Theta

William & Mary Delta Phi
I'll add them in. It was difficult to keep up with closures and suspensions last spring.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2020, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII has closed our chapter at TCU due to low numbers.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
Oh wow. That was fast. So sad.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Oh wow. That was fast. So sad.
I sat next to a collegian from TCU on a flight from Dallas last year. She said the campus was very materialistic and status consious. Sounds like SMU and UT.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn’t TCU near the end of recruitment? Did the AOII close before it started or during? It’s SUCH a shame when a campus culture is such that unless you come from THIS TOWN and went to THIS SCHOOL and wear THIS DESIGNER then you’re somehow not worthy.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
Isn't TCU in the middle of recruitment right now? I think they're between 2nd and 3rd Rounds? I had a Rec Girl pledge that chapter a few years ago - that makes me really sad.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah I was about to say it's heartbreaking that the chapter got this news in the middle of recruitment. Also looking at the irishpipes thread the chapter is relatively new too.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

DU expansions

The DU Quarterly was just published. DU is expanding to University of Nevada , University of Delaware and Purdue University in the Spring of 2021 and The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Washington State University and Texas Tech University in the Fall of 2021.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The Zeta Chi Chapter of Delta Gamma at the University of Delaware has closed as of the end of the Spring Semester of 2020.

Announced five days ago via the Delta Gamma official Instagram, the notice of closure was delayed due to COVID-19.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g41965 View Post
The DU Quarterly was just published. DU is expanding to University of Nevada , University of Delaware and Purdue University in the Spring of 2021 and The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Washington State University and Texas Tech University in the Fall of 2021.
Is the Nevada expansion at UNLV or UNR?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Yeah I was about to say it's heartbreaking that the chapter got this news in the middle of recruitment. Also looking at the irishpipes thread the chapter is relatively new too.
Better for them to close in the middle of rush than right after when the pledge classes are already picked.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Better for them to close in the middle of rush than right after when the pledge classes are already picked.
Very true. Its just sad that it's after the chapter had spent so much effort (I'm assuming?) working on recruitment. Also, I feel like that's always a time where the chapter feels the closest (work week) and to then be told you're losing your charter is just painful. Would have been better off telling them during the shutdown in April if they knew it was imminent.

However, I'm guessing they waited for the first round of returns to try and see how the recruitment might play out?
Old 09-23-2020, 01:01 PM

I think TCU is a typical tough Texas school to crack, and the chapter was barely off the ground when a second new group was brought on. ---> premature death
Old 09-23-2020, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think TCU is a typical tough Texas school to crack, and the chapter was barely off the ground when a second new group was brought on. ---> premature death
Yes, Phi Mu came on about 4-5 years after AOII, and I agree that can be rough on a new chapter.

Texas schools can be tough to crack without name recognition, however, 50% of TCU student are now from out of state with a large portion from California, the Midwest, and SEC country. I think this may be less a factor in the closing of AOII because Sigma Kappa, Gamma Phi Beta, and Phi Mu have all had successful new chapters in the last 20 years or so without a strong presence at the big Texas schools prior to their TCU colonization.

Honestly, I think AOII was doomed from the start because of campus culture *at the time* which corresponded with the rise of the online sorority ranking site. That site was flooded with posts- and people in real life- discussing tiers and that if you are new "you start at the bottom and work your way up." It was horrible to witness but this mindset was broadcast loud and often by a small but vocal enough group of undergraduates, which included both sorority women and the fraternities.

Before AOII could even recruit the potential founders were being told that they would have to start at the bottom in terms of tiers and social status. There was no campus support for them at all. Who would want to join that? Panhellenic and the Greek Life Office could have/should have been much more on top of this situation to ensure that unaffiliated women saw membership in a new sorority as a positive and not a social negative.

They were able to recruit a wonderful group of women, however chapter total at the time was in the high 100s, and they only pledged about 60-70. I was worried from day one and knew they would never be able to catch up.

Other than that vile ranking site that was new at the time (and maybe someone different in the GL office? Honestly not sure on that..) I don't know why their colonization was different than the other three that I mentioned. When those groups came to campus all the sorority members were on board, encouraging their unaffiliated friends to go for it. There was widespread excitement over campus about those groups, with members wearing buttons, etc promoting the new group. All three of those groups pledged close to campus total, and all have thrived since. Very different than AOII.

Starting with a smaller group and then to have to do recruitment the next fall.. well that's tough on a chapter. I am not sure they have ever made quota. It is unfortunate that Phi Mu had to come so quickly but the chapters were bursting at the seams. While it was refreshing to see the campus go all out in support for Phi Mu my heart broke for AOII.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

DU

Hi Lane,

DU is expanding to University of Nevada at Reno.