GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Chi > Chi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,456
1 members and 2,455 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega-Kappa Sigma Songs

I'm an active member at the Pi Gamma chapter at the University of New Mexico and we currently have Kappa Sigma re-chartering on campus. We have serenades coming up in a couple weeks and my sisters and I would really like to celebrate our brother fraternity's return to campus during this semester's serenades. However, none of us know of or can find any Kappa Sigma-specific songs we may have. I was hoping that someone on this forum could help us out by letting us know if we even have any songs for them and where we might be able to find them.

Thanks ladies!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Chi Omega does not have a "brother fraternity." Yes, Dr. Charles Richardson was a proud member of Kappa Sigma, but that's as far as the connection goes.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting, all of our educational materials reference Kappa Sigma as being our brother fraternity. It must just be a local tradition to refer to them that way. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting, I'd love to know what you are using as "educational materials!"
Old 03-26-2015, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Chi Omega brother fraternity Kappa Sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Chi Omega does not have a "brother fraternity." Yes, Dr. Charles Richardson was a proud member of Kappa Sigma, but that's as far as the connection goes.

Correct regarding Dr. Charles Richardson's affiliation with Kappa Sigma, of course. I have visited many Chi Omega chapters over the years, and I must say that the "understanding" of the relationship between Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma (as the brother fraternity) is fairly consistent across the nation.

For the purposes of this discussion, I think that the distinction lies in the present-day "official"/legal nature of the relationship (none to speak of), versus the "unofficial"/historical understanding about the brother-sister relationship between Kappa Sigma and Chi Omega (very real).

In many Chi Omega chapters, there are occasionally jointly planned events with Kappa Sigma, which celebrate this generally held "understanding" of their historical relationship. In my experience, this relationship has simply become a part of Chi Omega's lore.

The comments by AncientShadows support this view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientshadows View Post
Interesting, all of our educational materials reference Kappa Sigma as being our brother fraternity. It must just be a local tradition to refer to them that way. Thanks anyway.

AncientShadows, please know that the relationship between Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma is NOT just "a local tradition." Feel free to celebrate it, and be proud of its significance to the history of Chi Omega!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Since ancientshadows was in college over 5 years ago when she posted this, I'm doubtful she's still a collegiate member!

Certainly, I agree that Dr Richardson was a proud member of Kappa Sigma. As a Founder of Chi Omega, that is where the "official" connection begins & ends. Chi Omega was not started as a spin-off group from Kappa Sigma.

None of the educational materials from the Chi Omega Executive HQ refer to Chi Omega having a "brother fraternity."
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That was the point of my reply. Of course Chi Omega was never a spin-off of anything. I don't think that idea had been suggested.

I have been a Chi Omega for over 44 years now (Mu Chapter, University of California, Berkeley), and have worked as an alumna for Chi Omega ever since, wherever I have lived (when in the USA). As I have written extensively, there is a difference between present-day legalities and historical lore.

At the very least (and possibly because of Dr. Charles Richardson's fraternal affiliation), Chi Omega's historical "connection" with Kappa Sigma is undeniable. It is celebrated still today on many campuses, and both fraternities are the better for it.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been a Chi O alumna for over 30 years, have worked on a local and regional levels for Chi Omega for nearly that long and have even played "Sis Doc" in a skit at national convention. He even made the first Chi Omega pin out of dental gold as he was a dentist. (Wish I had a picture of it to post.) But Chi O & Kappa Sig aren't brother-sister fraternities and wouldn't want to promote that they are.

It's nice that some campuses celebrate the connection. I know other campuses where Chi Omega and Pi Kappa Alpha have events together since the Chi O and Pike national headquarters are next-door to each other in Memphis.

I would would say that GLOs like the Syracuse Triad or Monmouth Duo have much more connection. As an Advisor for over 2 decades, no printed or online content to our members state that we have a brother fraternity. But a historical connection, definitely.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks, ChioLu. Cool -- I worked local and regional, too, around the US over the years.

I'm in complete agreement, of course: While Chi Omega has no official brother fraternity, the historical connection between Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma is undeniable.