GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,342
2 members and 1,340 guests
Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

The End

I've tried to write this topic multiple times, but I would always not like how I chose my words or approach. But I think it's a conversation worth having.

Will we see an end to Greek Life as we know it? While it seems like expansions are happening for multiple schools for each GLO, there are a number of chapters suspended/on probation each year for violations of either organization's or university's policies.

But what I think is a bigger factor to the Greek Life experience ending in universities is the change in the student body. I admit that the state I grew up in and the school I went to was and still is decidedly on the liberal side, and the younger generation much more progressive than older generations. I also realize that my school had 3% of the student body involved in Greek Life. But whenever I see any headlines locally or nationally about Greek Life, there's a large sentiment that the institution of GLOs are dated and we would be better off without them.

When would the generation in college (regardless if it's the current one or a later one) decide to do away with Greek Life? Either by petitioning University administrators or mass refusal to go through the intake process. Would this even happen in the first place? We all know how much the Greek experience can enrich your life, but in my limited perspective it seems like society wants to move past the need for our organizations.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hadn't seen your name on here in a long time! I don't think it's the end of our organizations. We went through a similar pushback in the 70s when the college students were very anti-establishment and the greek orgs were seen as the establishment. I do think we will have to make some significant changes to stay relevant. We have to be flexible as organizations. Gen Z wants value for their money and time. We have to provide that value. We also have to be willing to expand our views to meet the needs of these young people.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Our organiztions are 150+ years old. They've been through and weathered difficult times. I believe they will continue to do so. Some may choose to consolidate as has happened in the past. We are still seeing groups like Beta Upsilon Chi grow like crazy with their appeal to a more specific audience we may not have been reaching.

At least at public universities, the schools can't legally forbid students to be members. I think there's a lot of hand wringing and doom and gloom. I don't think it's based on anything but fear.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-05-2021, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Will it change? Of course. It's always changed.
Is it gone forever?
Not a chance.
Look at campuses where there is supposedly no Greek life. Dig a little and you will find that students have formed some sort of organizations that serve the same functions. They may call them study clubs, or literary societies, but they still gather, have celebrations, form and follow traditions, work together.
It's just human nature to want to gather with others.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see greek life straight up dying. Organizations will change an adapt with the times, as chapters make changes on a local level. And committed alumni join national/regional boards and do positive things as well.

However, I can picture growth between BGLO,NAFLO,MGLO,etc. since more black and hispanic kids are going to college. I can also see organizations like Gamma Rho Lambda gaining popularity too.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story