GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,421
1 members and 2,420 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
didn't deltasigstan say his sister was rushing? i wish he would come back
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

USChica06, would you feel comfortable sharing (without house names) a synopsis of what happened when you rushed last year? I (and probably some GC PNMs) would love to hear what you felt and saw that drew you back for another try despite the discouraging outcome.

Ivy
Old 05-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Megerts
I've decided not to rush...

I mean it's so obviously not for me... there is a reason i wasn't given a bid last year...

Megerts, there are a LOT of us who rushed a second time and got a bid we cherished! And I was at a large SEC school too--
Old 05-05-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USChica06
Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
USChica06, would you feel comfortable sharing (without house names) a synopsis of what happened when you rushed last year? I (and probably some GC PNMs) would love to hear what you felt and saw that drew you back for another try despite the discouraging outcome.

Ivy
I'd be happy to! It was a dark and stormy night....just kidding.

At USC, we have 9 Pan-Hellenic sororities. And I'm pretty sure you all know the system, mutual elimination, 9 then 6 then 4 then 2 (Preference), and then voila! Bid Night.

I had come to USC with not a lot of things such as clothes being that I lived far away and my NROTC scholarship required me to bring lots of stuff. I had all of my rush information together, I was even getting nervous. I asked my cell phone fortune teller, the Mystic Ching, whether or not I should join. I'm not kidding. It said : "No, but you probably will, and you will regret it for the rest of your life. Think hard about this one." Needless to say, it has a glitch. I read the packet on what to wear saying "Nice pants, maybe a skirt." And I felt relieved since I only had khakis and a broken pair of sandals. I looked horrible compared to the other girls. I shared this on the thread about reasons I may have been cut.

The first day we saw four, and the next day we saw five. Well, after those two days, I eliminated the three I didn't like, one I didn't feel comfortable in, one I thought I wouldn't fit in (they obviously didn't appreciate my wit and charm), and in the third I felt that they were trying to make me feel inferior. I got my schedule for the next day back and listed were two sororities, not 6 like most of the girls, including the one I didn't feel comfortable in. That was a huge blow.

Nevertheless, I liked the other one so I went back the next day. I saw both houses again, and thankfully those two houses were in my schedule the next day. It was the night before preferences, I went out and bought a dress. In the morning, I got a phone call from my RC saying not to come in, neither house asked me back.

I won't lie to you all. I did cry. In that week I saw something I wanted to do. Join a wonderful group of girls and be able to have the same great memories that they all seemed to have. For about a month I was anti-Rush. But I was jealous, I wanted to be there. I met several girls though that I still talk to. I took a step back and tried to figure out why I was cut. And I came up with that it was my appearance. I looked awful. T-shirts, hair pulled back, etc. So now, I know better for next time.

But I also believe that things happen for a reason. Had I joined, I would immeadiatley have a lot of things to do that wouldn't fit into my already busy schedule. I had an injury that prevented me from walking without crutches, and the hike up to the houses would have sustained that. It wasn't the right time for me, and someone knew that, whether it be God or my cell phone.

I'm looking foward to rushing again. Meeting the freshmen and giving them my advice as "the experienced sophomore." I tell girls who are thinking about it that there is no harm in rushing. If you depise it, nothing is stopping you from dropping out before Preference. But, you might find something you love.

Wow. Well, that was the longest post this side of Moby Dick.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

oh, i just found out I can't xfer to West Ga this year, for several reason, but hopefully by sping for infomal rush! i hope!

Chris
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Those of you rushing for a second time, try to put your rush experience from last year behind you and let each house start with a clean slate. Things change from year to year, so what you hated about one house might not be an issue this year . . . and vice versa.

I feel like the nonfreshmen have a little advantage in that they are not as "wowed" by the pageantry of it all. The GLOs might know them personally, so any perceived negatives can be explained away or ignored. The nonfreshmen aren't just info sheets and a picture at times (for the good OR the bad, depending on the kind of freshman year they had!!!), and there's a confidence in having been at the university and "knowing the score."

I am so excited about rush this year! The older my children get, the more PNMs I know personally. Looking forward to all the rush threads on GC!
Old 05-05-2003, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
I went through informal recruitment when I pledged ZTA, and was thrown into the deep end for formal on the sister side. What an eye-opener. The thing I always tell friends who seem unsure is a) go through with it and give each group a chance but b) do not fill out a bid card if you are still unsure. You're stuck for a year if you depledge c) try again for informal recruitment if you think there was a group or two you liked but just didn't get to know that well. Usually informal gives you more time and freedom to get to know the girls. I would never push someone to pledge if their heart really wasn't into it d) if you end up deciding that a social sorority isn't for you, try an honor society, a co-ed service frat, or something related to your major. I am also a member of Lambda Alpha Epsilon (American Criminal Justice Association) which will probably look more impressive on my resume than anything else I do. Don't knock the academic groups. They'll go a long way. I don't think any of us could stress enough that joining a sorority is a LIFETIME commitment so don't join a house if you really don't feel at home there (when in doubt, get the heck out)! Good luck to all of you!

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all!

Bethany, as a very proud member of the USC sorority system, I am really glad to hear that you are going to give rush another shot! Somtimes with first starting classes and the like, rush can be super-overwhelming, and the second time around is a lot better for some girls.

TO everyone who will be following Bethany's story, please note that Bethany's corrected list, not Honeychile's list of sororities are the ones on the USC campus.

If you are interested in the format of USC rush, I posted my story faithfully last year, and am sooooo excited to be on the other side this year! I am really looking forward to rush!

Good luck Bethany, just go in with an open mind and have a great time! I know we will all be waiting to hear your stories. Also, if you have any questions, I'm always happy to help!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Megerts, there are a LOT of us who rushed a second time and got a bid we cherished! And I was at a large SEC school too--

Yeah, I mean it's not that I don't want to do, because I REALLY do. I think it would be funand just a really great experience. It's just... I don't know how to get recs. I only had three last time, which i know is terrible. Anyways, The girls thta said they could hook me up really don't hang out with me so much. It's not that I don't want to... It's just that I can't get recs and without that it's a waste of time....My parents went to a school where it wasn't big to be a in a sorority and I'm an out of school girl, which makes it even harder. I don't know....I'm just really confused.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I mean it's not that I don't want to do, because I REALLY do. I think it would be funand just a really great experience. It's just... I don't know how to get recs. I only had three last time, which i know is terrible. Anyways, The girls thta said they could hook me up really don't hang out with me so much. It's not that I don't want to... It's just that I can't get recs and without that it's a waste of time....My parents went to a school where it wasn't big to be a in a sorority and I'm an out of school girl, which makes it even harder. I don't know....I'm just really confused.
Megrets, what school are you attending? Do you know which sororities are represented? It may not be as hard to get recs as you think!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

LSU

Tridelt
Chi O
KD
DZ
KAT
ZTA
Phi Mu
KKG
DG
Pi Phi

sorry if i forgot any, just doing this quickly during a study break
Old 05-06-2003, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know....I'm just really confused.
Don't worry. I think we all are!!! It affecting my academics too!

Now, if Train A leave City A at 1:00pm traveling 40 MPH...
Old 05-06-2003, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UCLAgirl
*A really nice post!*
Thanks! You all have been amazing!!! I can't wait for rush now!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Just wanted to say good luck to all the women going through recruitment. I can't wait to read all of your individual rush threads.

I'm a founder of my chapter and we are on the only NPC on campus so we don't have a formal recruitment period like everyone describes. This way I can get an idea of what Formal recruitment is like and be prepared whenever CSUDH finally gets another NPC. I also get to cheer as most of the women get the bid they wanted and cry along with those who for whatever reason didn't. And then hopefully cheer for those women as they either go through COB or try again the next year and find their home.

Hats off to all the women who are helping to satisfy our recruitment thread addiction!!

Carolyn

Once a Phi Sig, Always a Phi Sig

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 05-07-2003, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phisigduchesscv
Hats off to all the women who are helping to satisfy our recruitment thread addiction!!
I second that!

My first university had no NPC's, so I had never heard of formal recruitment. I joined GC last July, when you could feel the buzz around GC with formal recruitment only a couple of weeks away.

Now that I've transferred schools and joined ADP, formal recruitment is in the air again, and I can hardly wait !!! I never experienced formal recruitment from the PNM side, so I really like to hear how everyone else 'sees' it.

Best of luck to all the PNM's!!!!