GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,199
2 members and 1,197 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 04-26-2001, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Problem with Fraternities on Campus

Okay, so today we found out the Kappa Alpha Psi chapter here is suspended for hazing from their Nationals for five years. At least that long ago Kappa Sigma here was pulled for hazing. Kappa Sigma is trying to come back now, and when they were here they were strong. There are eleven fraternities already and none of them are really large, many of them already have a problem filling their housing. Kappa Sigs are really wonderful, and I wish them luck, but there seems to be no room for them right now. Not only that but there is a stigma associated with them too. I hope the Kappa Alpha Psi members do what they can to help their tarnished image, meanwhile our University just gave Kappa Sig the okay to come back while the IFC has says they don't think they will approve it. Any ideas on how our campus can help these two groups?

------------------
If your going to go greek, why not be a goddess?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2001, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Maybe the reason that the other fraternities are not welcoming Kappa Sig back with open arms is because there are already enough fraternities on the campus. I know they existed once, but with one less house to compete with, the men have probably had a little more success in recruitment. Adding another fraternity back into the mix only hinders that success. This is a legit concern for national organizations who have standards to live up to.

As for Kappa Alpha Psi, when you haze and get caught, you pay the price. I hope they can stay strong and reorganize after their suspension. I know that new member programs are different in all BGLOs and GLOs, but the message across the board is hazing will not be tolerated. It's a shame it takes this sort of action to make collegiates understand that message.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat:
Maybe the reason that the other fraternities are not welcoming Kappa Sig back with open arms is because there are already enough fraternities on the campus.
Isn't that a shame. I mean what is enough fraternities on campus? If there is a new or different idea on the campus why should anybody be shaking in their boots. The insecurity shouldn't be the reason why other organizations can not be on campus. Usually this type of attitude comes from a dean a student affairs who already has the organization he pledged on the campus. Dang!
Old 04-27-2001, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I am confused. As usual. Does Kappa Sig nationals want to come back, or are there brothers still there that want their charter back? Or a Kappa Sig interest group?
Old 04-27-2001, 04:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Well, if you have a campus of 2000 students, having all NIC fraternities on that campus wouldn't be a good idea, because of the percentage of students going greek isn't going to be 100%, and obviously all of the frarternities can't survive. Maybe the school in question here has reached their limit in terms of the number of organizations they need to have a fruitful Greek system.

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBEE!:
Isn't that a shame. I mean what is enough fraternities on campus? If there is a new or different idea on the campus why should anybody be shaking in their boots. The insecurity shouldn't be the reason why other organizations can not be on campus. Usually this type of attitude comes from a dean a student affairs who already has the organization he pledged on the campus. Dang!
Old 04-27-2001, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo:
Kappa Sig nationals... the brothers left on campus that were active during the incident are not allowed to come back to the chapter. The reason that they waited so long was to make sure most of them were graduated. Kappa Sig had been here since 1965 and so they have a long standing tradition here with alum support and all.
So are the Kappa Sigs still there considered alums?

Old 04-27-2001, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
That' a good question Billy Optimist, I don't believe Kappa Sigma has a National alum status for Undergrads, they also don't have an inactive status in a chapter per se. But if there chapter has been closed it is much the same as if Kappa Sigmas tranfered to another school without a chapter: They have their affiliation for life but no organized group to do anything with and use ther name on. This is assuming no one was expelled for hazing or suspended.

What kind of hazing did they allegedly do?
Old 04-28-2001, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Sig nationals... the brothers left on campus that were active during the incident are not allowed to come back to the chapter. The reason that they waited so long was to make sure most of them were graduated. Kappa Sig had been here since 1965 and so they have a long standing tradition here with alum support and all.
Old 04-28-2001, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo:
Isn't that the way it it is usually done, when they pull a chapter, anywhere? They wait, until anyone involved with the situation is gone?

Old 04-28-2001, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to date one of the kappa sig's and he told me what happened with the hazing and actually admitted to taking part. They paddled a guy and made him eat dog food, while in his boxers. They also made him scream things and fight with another new member (physical). The one boy had a history of mental problems and ended up having an episode from it. They found him naked in an old ladies house in hysterics (he had broken in) and his parents blamed it on the fraternity.

------------------
If your going to go greek, why not be a goddess?
Old 04-28-2001, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pledgetrainer2:
Isn't that the way it it is usually done, when they pull a chapter, anywhere? They wait, until anyone involved with the situation is gone?

Yes, unless they feel the campus is so potenitally fruitful that they want to recolonize right away and not lose 4-5 years of not taking members there.

Even taking a 5 year break might not help though, because the one fraternity at my campus that had their charter pulled, some of them were in school for like 7 years. (Not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.) Even when nationals came back 4 yers later there were old brothers left.