GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,059
3 members and 1,056 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Really? It's still AEPhi's policy, unless something has changed that I don't know about. (Note that I went to a school where recruitment was not super-competitive. In my entire time as an active, I never even saw a rec. A legacy would pretty much have had to torch the rush room to get cut after open houses.) Is this a side effect of the current release figures method, or is it because there are so many more legacies attending college now than there were 20 or 30 or 40 years ago?
Giving a legacy an invite to round 2 sounds is a common policy among many NPCs. However, chapters with lots of legacies going through recruitment who have to make steep cuts after round 1 are probably given a pass on it. I imagine most other chapters would still adhere to that policy if they don't have many legacies going through and/or they don't have to make steep cuts after round 1.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it's easy to discuss how a mom ought to handle the discussion of legacies with her daughter. Most of the Greek moms I know, though, haven't been deeply involved in Greek life since college so they don't know about the current situation of RFM/huge legacy numbers. I live in a big town but until 2005, the closest national Greek system was an hour away so hardly any local Greeks--and there are a lot here-- were physically involved in a Greek system. Many paid their dues and/or sent money to their chapters but it was (is) a hassle getting to the nearest chapter or alum group (which might be one that focuses on socialization and doesn't discuss recruitment unless friends or relatives are rushing). They got their magazines but now a lot of them are published online so people don't bother to read them. Also, they've spent the last several years raising kids and working and Greek life wasn't really on their radar.

Therefore, even though the Greek Life Office usually sends out a pamphlet to parents about the current situation re: legacies, it doesn't really hit home unless the legacy group cuts the daughter. Wonderful women who assumed their groups would pledge their daughters have been blindsided because back in the day, sororities found a way to pledge their good legacies. Often, only the shadier ones were released.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is why it's SO important for our orgs to EDUCATE alumnae about not only the legacy policy, but also about how recruitment has changed since they were active, that there are INCREASED numbers of legacies at some schools, and that what used to be a sure thing, often isn't anymore.
It is definitely important to educate our alumnae.

Having said that, however, the women who would benefit most from such education are exactly those women who would be least likely to be receptive to such education. (Generalizing here, obviously.) They're the women who aren't very active in alumnae groups; the ones who don't communicate regularly with current collegians; the ones who never crack open their orgs' magazines; etc... They're also the ones who expect their daughters to be given the royal treatment, and are the ones who are most upset when their daughters are cut form their legacy houses.

So yes, we absolutely need to educate. It probably won't reach those alumnae who need it most, though. (And, for some reason, I believe the mom discussed in the OP would fall into this category.)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
It is definitely important to educate our alumnae.

Having said that, however, the women who would benefit most from such education are exactly those women who would be least likely to be receptive to such education. (Generalizing here, obviously.) They're the women who aren't very active in alumnae groups; the ones who don't communicate regularly with current collegians; the ones who never crack open their orgs' magazines; etc... They're also the ones who expect their daughters to be given the royal treatment, and are the ones who are most upset when their daughters are cut form their legacy houses.

So yes, we absolutely need to educate. It probably won't reach those alumnae who need it most, though. (And, for some reason, I believe the mom discussed in the OP would fall into this category.)
Speaking from my experience, our issues were almost always with Helga VonHeli, the alumna who has essentially forgotten she's a Pi Pi Pi and completely abandoned every alumna responsibility until we cut her pretty perfect princess.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Not only that, I'd bet that some of these moms were the ones who (as collegians) bitched the loudest about "have-to-take" double legacies and treated them like crap. It's amazing how it's different when it has to do with you or someone you love.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Well, it's easy to discuss how a mom ought to handle the discussion of legacies with her daughter. Most of the Greek moms I know, though, haven't been deeply involved in Greek life since college so they don't know about the current situation of RFM/huge legacy numbers. I live in a big town but until 2005, the closest national Greek system was an hour away so hardly any local Greeks--and there are a lot here-- were physically involved in a Greek system. Many paid their dues and/or sent money to their chapters but it was (is) a hassle getting to the nearest chapter or alum group (which might be one that focuses on socialization and doesn't discuss recruitment unless friends or relatives are rushing). They got their magazines but now a lot of them are published online so people don't bother to read them. Also, they've spent the last several years raising kids and working and Greek life wasn't really on their radar.

Therefore, even though the Greek Life Office usually sends out a pamphlet to parents about the current situation re: legacies, it doesn't really hit home unless the legacy group cuts the daughter. Wonderful women who assumed their groups would pledge their daughters have been blindsided because back in the day, sororities found a way to pledge their good legacies. Often, only the shadier ones were released.

I understand that, Carnation, but you should also know that this causes a lot of heartache for those daughters because of these uninformed mothers. Times have changed, and we need to find a way to get this information to these alumnae so that their daughters don't suffer the consequences.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Speaking from my experience, our issues were almost always with Helga VonHeli, the alumna who has essentially forgotten she's a Pi Pi Pi and completely abandoned every alumna responsibility until we cut her pretty perfect princess.
True. And I'd like to see a shift in those schools with 3 billion legacies (exaggerate? Me?) towards preferring legacies of active alumnae.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I understand that, Carnation, but you should also know that this causes a lot of heartache for those daughters because of these uninformed mothers. Times have changed, and we need to find a way to get this information to these alumnae so that their daughters don't suffer the consequences.
Exactly. It was a lot easier to get into a lot of competitive colleges back in the day too. Haven't we heard about HOPE on this board a million billion times and how it's made it so much harder to get into UGA?

If parents can get their heads out of their asses and figure that out, they can certainly do the same with sorority membership. Especially since many of them seem to be treating it as a commodity, a thing their daughters need to check off to prove they were "raised right" rather than lifetime sisterhood.

Drolefille - when you were gone we had a thread about "weighting" legacies - for example, the longtime alum chapter president's daughter gets more of a preference than random alum's daughter. I don't think it's fair or desirable, for many reasons. There are LOTS of reasons people aren't involved as alums -one of the most basic ones being there might not be an alum chapter near them. Also, something like that just smacks a little too much of bartering - if I give $1000 to the Foundation, my daughter is higher up on the bid list - for my taste.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Drolefille - when you were gone we had a thread about "weighting" legacies - for example, the longtime alum chapter president's daughter gets more of a preference than random alum's daughter. I don't think it's fair or desirable, for many reasons. There are LOTS of reasons people aren't involved as alums -one of the most basic ones being there might not be an alum chapter near them. Also, something like that just smacks a little too much of bartering - if I give $1000 to the Foundation, my daughter is higher up on the bid list - for my taste.
I get that and I wouldn't want anything that detailed. More like, has donated some amount to the foundation, active in an alum chapter or other volunteer work with the sorority, etc. It shouldn't be well Suzie's mom donated 3k and Penny's mom only donated 1k.

Nor should it guarantee a bid, but it's a way to show that mom, aunt, grandma, whatever has actually been engaged with the sorority over the past 20 years. If it existed (or exists) I'd really just want there to be "alumna" and "active alumna" and have some really basic level of support that equals "active." And I say that as someone who doesn't meet that status now due to my situation/location/etc.

But eh, don't want to rehash that if it's been done, I'll go thread hunting later.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I agree! And they've changed very quickly--we've seen the big changes since maybe 2000?--but I don't know how on earth we can reach the masses.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I agree! And they've changed very quickly--we've seen the big changes since maybe 2000?--but I don't know how on earth we can reach the masses.
I know. It's a big problem. I feel sorry for the girls who go in with a false sense of security.

AOII

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I want my daughter to be an Alpha Gam. I really really want my daughter to be an Alpha Gam. She still likes me enough, at 16, to think it would be cool to share that. Most of the schools she is seriously interested in don't have Alpha Gam chapters. I certainly won't dissuade her from her Columbia dream just because they don't have an Alpha Gam chapter. I have told her I'll pay her sorority dues if she chooses to join one no matter what school or chapter it is. All that said, if she does end up at Michigan (or another school with an AGD chapter) I'm going to be crushed if she doesn't go AGD. However, I will still support her and cry privately Two years!

In fact, in two years, our Convention is in St. Louis and she really loves St. Louis. She has asked me if she can come and sight see and stuff. There are a few Alpha Gam events at Convention that welcome guests and if she is going to a school with an Alpha Gam chapter, she just might accompany me. I told her we'll see. I think she wants to bring a friend too. Could be interesting.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turqwind View Post
I agree if the writer really likes this girl and wants to write her a rec, call the Mom and offer.
I'm really curious why the mom has to be involved at all? This is an adult going to college. The mom being asked shouldn't even be on anyone's radar. They should be asking the PNM if they'd like a rec written for them!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I'm really curious why the mom has to be involved at all? This is an adult going to college. The mom being asked shouldn't even be on anyone's radar. They should be asking the PNM if they'd like a rec written for them!
I guess since Mom is paying for the dues, the girl feels like Mom is in control. It's kind of like brides feeling like Mom gets to make decisions about the wedding when her parents are paying for the big day.

AOII

Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I want my daughter to be an Alpha Gam. I really really want my daughter to be an Alpha Gam.
LOL, Dee, I hear you. May both us have daughters in our sorority someday!
Closed Thread