GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,040
0 members and 1,040 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurestarlightx View Post
Yeah, why not? We're discussing everything from how Greek life started, why Greek letters are used to different types of sororities/fraternities to stepping and strolling, and then to this which I have no clue about and can't find any info for.
There's probably a reason for that.

And I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant you were using the powerpoint to get better acquainted with each other. I apologize.

Honestly, though, why aren't you asking your organization of interest about their policies?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=100051

I thought it was you, obviously I did not look at the user name. However, it's interesting that we get the same (random) question over night.

FURTHERMORE, YOU do not need to give a snarky attitude to us, when you need information from us.

ALSO, OBVIOUSLY it is a private matter for certain organizations, and you should be going to chapter members for that type of information, instead of posting on an online forum.

Since when did we become the gurus on all things greek?
First of all, I'm not giving anyone any attitude, you just seem to assume that, just like you assume that I made two threads.

And I don't see anything wrong with asking this here, someone might have been able to give me information. Apparently it wasn't you.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
First of all, I'm not giving anyone any attitude, you just seem to assume that, just like you assume that I made two threads.

And I don't see anything wrong with asking this here, someone might have been able to give me information. Apparently it wasn't you.
Reading is fundamental.

You've been told, in multiple ways, to ask your organization of interest. That could be for a couple of reasons:

A. We don't know. This is my situation. No one ever said people on Greek Chat knew everything ever about Greek Life. We just have good chances because there are so many of us.

B. We DO know, but AREN'T TELLING YOU.

If you do not get an answer, assuming one of these and going to your organization of interest would be the way to go. If you want to keep the powerpoint a surprise, just say "Hey random question what's the difference between this and that and how can I get more information?"

If THEY don't tell you, it should be left out of your powerpoint.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There's probably a reason for that.

And I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant you were using the powerpoint to get better acquainted with each other. I apologize.

Honestly, though, why aren't you asking your organization of interest about their policies?
Well I'm guessing now I may need to contact someone there or in our expansion team 'cause I originally thought I'd just be able to find stuff for this online. Apparently it's a little harder to dig for.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Reading is fundamental.

You've been told, in multiple ways, to ask your organization of interest. That could be for a couple of reasons:

A. We don't know. This is my situation. No one ever said people on Greek Chat knew everything ever about Greek Life. We just have good chances because there are so many of us.

B. We DO know, but AREN'T TELLING YOU.

If you do not get an answer, assuming one of these and going to your organization of interest would be the way to go. If you want to keep the powerpoint a surprise, just say "Hey random question what's the difference between this and that and how can I get more information?"

If THEY don't tell you, it should be left out of your powerpoint.
Actually no one in the previous posts told me to ask my organization of interest up until the other poster. And I'm not saying you HAVE to know. If you don't know then you don't know. I guess I'll have to contact them now.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually no one in the previous posts told me to ask my organization of interest up until the other poster. And I'm not saying you HAVE to know. If you don't know then you don't know. I guess I'll have to contact them now.
Contacting I/HQ is almost always the best course of action when you're an IG. We can tell you what happens in our organizations, but it may not translate to the organization you're pursuing.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Except for me. And MysicCat alluded to the same thing. And if you had looked at the other thread, asking the same question, people said it there. That person never got an answer either.

For posterity, contact your org.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Contacting I/HQ is almost always the best course of action when you're an IG. We can tell you what happens in our organizations, but it may not translate to the organization you're pursuing.
Yeah I know. I'm not even sure if we do inline or online pledging, to be honest lol
Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Except for me. And MysicCat alluded to the same thing. And if you had looked at the other thread, asking the same question, people said it there. That person never got an answer either.

For posterity, contact your org.
That's why I said UNTIL the other poster (knightshadow)

And that other user might actually be someone from my interest group most likely. I talked to a few of them saying I couldn't find anything. They just worded their question completely wrong.

And obviously we don't have a chapter on our campus, so anything to do with our organization requires contacting the expansion team/nationals by phone/email.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just really need to know the difference between inline and online pledging - what they are, what is GENERALLY done
Don't forget offline pledging...you better research that, too.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

WTF?

There is no such thing as inline pledging!

You stand IN LINE to wait for a movie to start or to get on the bus. You stand ON LINE to do the same thing if you live in New York.

You can only go ON LINE to pledge. You don't go INLINE to pledge. Ever.

For further information, read a book!

Black Greek 101
African American Fraternities and Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision
Our Fight Has Just Begun: BGLOs in the 21st Century
Black Haze
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Or they know, but they see no reason to tell you.
Post #15 in this thread.

Quote:

ALSO, OBVIOUSLY it is a private matter for certain organizations, and you should be going to chapter members for that type of information, instead of posting on an online forum.
Post #13 in this thread.

Quote:
That's why I said UNTIL the other poster (knightshadow)

And that other user might actually be someone from my interest group most likely. I talked to a few of them saying I couldn't find anything. They just worded their question completely wrong.

And obviously we don't have a chapter on our campus, so anything to do with our organization requires contacting the expansion team/nationals by phone/email.

In my experience, national HQs are pretty good at getting back to interest groups and potential new members (after all - they DO want people to join their organizations), so this is your best route. If you don't get a phone call or e-mail back by the end of the day, you'll probably get one by the end of the week.

If they don't answer your question, then it's probably not for you to know until you're actually into your pledging process. In which case, it should be left out of your powerpoint until that time. It may not be something that is public knowledge.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

What I don't understand (besides the whole "inline" pledging) is how the heck this girl and her crew signed on to be an interest group with an organization when they don't even know basic information about it.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
WTF?

You stand IN LINE to wait for a movie to start or to get on the bus. You stand ON LINE to do the same thing if you live in New York.

Black Greek 101
Black Haze
Well hell, don't get all flustered, it's not like I made it up lol
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
WTF?

Black Greek 101
Black Haze
Thank you darling, you beat me to it.