GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,507
0 members and 2,507 guests
No Members online

Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope you receive a knowledgable and informed response. : )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Banned

29 states don't understand government.

http://cottagefoodlaws.com/get-invol...-law-movement/
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently you are the one who doesn't understand government. 29 states have cottage food laws, Illinois does not. One has nothing to do with the other.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The Cupcake Kid will get to continue her business. A local plumbing and remodeling company, with the help of donations, is building her a kitchen to run her business.

http://www.bnd.com/2014/02/27/308131...t-her-new.html
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Banned

Yay. That is a good ending.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that this has had national attention, I hope she realizes the IRS is going to want their share of the business too...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Now that this has had national attention, I hope she realizes the IRS is going to want their share of the business too...
My guess is that this was the original impetus of the health dept stepping in, in the first place. They saw that someone hadn't paid their $$ to the govt so they stepped in.

There are I'm sure hundreds of kids and people who are doing the same thing all over the country and making sometimes a little money but once it's known to the govt they want their share of any profits.....
Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
My guess is that this was the original impetus of the health dept stepping in, in the first place. They saw that someone hadn't paid their $$ to the govt so they stepped in.

There are I'm sure hundreds of kids and people who are doing the same thing all over the country and making sometimes a little money but once it's known to the govt they want their share of any profits.....
That's right. The health department stepped in because tax laws were being violated.

As for the bolded, this 11-year-old isn't running the occasional weekend lemonade stand. She is trying to run a real business. That's great, as long as she does it right—and doing it right means complying with all relevant laws and regulations, especially those designed to protect the public. Seems to me like a great lesson to learn at an early age.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

No, BadgeGuy, just no. The Health Department has a different agenda than federal tax authoritieis. The local Health Department is concerned with sanitation (you know, rodents, cockroaches, running water). Tax-compliant establishments are sometimes shut -- not because of taxes -- but because the food or food surfaces will make people sick. Remember from civics also that there is yet another layer of government between local authorities and the feds -- the state (except sadly for DC).
Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Banned

And getting permits, which cost money...money the health dept wasn't getting before. I wasn't suggesting the Heath dept was acting on tax issues, but someone selling product, apparently even if it is just to friends and family, permits need to be purchased....they aren't free.....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Somebody get the tinfoil out....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Here you go, Blue. The commercial cupcake kitchen had an industrial-sized roll.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Permits aren't very expensive in the scheme of things. They certainly aren't major revenue producers -- they barely cover administrative fees. What the Health Department does not want are lots of quasi-sanitary facilities. (I know, one could say many facilities can still be dicey despite inspection). The cupcake stand sets a precedent for others.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
. . . apparently even if it is just to friends and family . . . .
Per the a time article to which you linked in the OP, this kid was bringing in around $200 per month. That would be $2,400 a year.

Per the St. Louis Dispatch article to which the Time article linked, her parents said they'd given the kid her own refrigerator to keep her things in, her grandparents had given her her own mixer, and the parents were willing to make sure she got all necessary licenses and permits. The kid is making trying to make money to buy a car.

None of this adds up to a kid who is just selling to friends and family. This is a kid trying to get a business going. It is certainly admirable that she wants to do that. But if she's going to do it, she needs to do it right, and that means complying with health regulations.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

I guess it's a good lesson for everybody about entrepreneurship.....