GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,310
2 members and 1,308 guests
g41965, naraht

Old 03-19-2001, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Brothas killin' Brothas

The number one threat to the African-American male population. What responsibility does bglo fraternity men have with this problem?
Old 03-28-2001, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a responsibility to show them positive Black male role models. It isn't enough to do programs about cancer in its various forms, to do adopat-a-highway, to visit senior citizens, or to do qualtiy programs on our campuses. Many people forget that a lot of people in BGLO's had inspiration from a BGLO member when they were young i.e. principal, guidance counselor, teacher, etc. We carry a torch and it is our responsibility, no it is our duty to light the paths of others.

------------------
Many are called, many are chosen, but only a few are PHROZEN!
Old 03-28-2001, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I appreciate your response bruh. If only more bruthas would read it and follow your point.
Old 03-28-2001, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brother BigBERG you are certainly correct. However, let me add to your comments. I think BGLO need to focus on those that are most at risk. Those of us that have found success need to leave our comfortable neighborhoods and go into the inner city to help save a child. Now don't get me wrong, it's great to support the kids where we live but the ones that most need our help have no role models, no resources, no support and often no clue what it takes to gain even a small amount of success.

I know that many of us overlook the fact that we have family members that are much like the young kids we talk about trying to help. One of the many things I've focused on this year is to help the single black women in my family that struggle to raise their kids. My mom is always telling me that I need to be tutoring my younger cousins before going across town to help others.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Men of Alpha. It has been my experience that young boys/men need a constant male presence and not an inconsistent one. My Omega chapter is part of a Big Brother program and we have boys assigned to us for life (more or less), from the age that we get them thru college. It is exciting and that is where we get to do the most good. Boys actually go from admiring your behavior to mimicing it. With %80 of our young men being fatherless, we decided to step into the breach. Continue the work of our charge. Greek Love.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82:
Men of Alpha. It has been my experience that young boys/men need a constant male presence and not an inconsistent one. My Omega chapter is part of a Big Brother program and we have boys assigned to us for life (more or less), from the age that we get them thru college. It is exciting and that is where we get to do the most good. Boys actually go from admiring your behavior to mimicing it. With %80 of our young men being fatherless, we decided to step into the breach. Continue the work of our charge. Greek Love.

Sounds like a live program, Doggy. I applaud yall.

Old 03-28-2001, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am loving the interaction and the tossing around of ideas. This is what made BGLO's prominent and what will keep our organizations alive.

------------------
Many are called, many are chosen, but only a few are PHROZEN!
Old 03-29-2001, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

As a Non-Greek African American male, I have seen the good BGLO fraternities have done as being role models. I know members of both Sigma Beta and Kappa League and they do more than step and other things like that. They are fine young men. I have also been to Alpha Male Leadership forums and know of alot of Omegas who do the Big Brother/Big Sister program that DoggyStyle82 mentions.

I feel that you (BGLO fraternities) do what you can, but all African American men (myself included) need to be doing somethng with African American boys... especially those out their making little boys. I also think that we need not to be so competitive with each other in the form of "I am more of a man than you" and that can alleviate some of the problem with young black men.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-31-2001, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you all brought up Big Brothers and Big Sisters. In my area, there are zero girls on the waiting list for a big sister. There are over 150 boys on the waiting list for a big brother. I am truly angered by this, since I know several inactive, nonfinancial Greek men who could be serving the community . But I do believe the members of the Beta Lambda chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha volunteer as Big Brothers.