GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,333
2 members and 1,331 guests
g41965, naraht

Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
More stories, more stories!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-08-2015, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeaParty View Post
If you want to hear another story, my sister, Lisa, has an extraordinary one. It is all about Panhel and Greek Love and the INTEGRATION of the White Sororities at our Practically All-White Campus in the 1970s.

You write so well, and I'd love to hear this story.

When I pledged a very small chapter (no more than 25 while I was there; got even smaller, maybe as few as 15) on a small campus in '73, we had one black member. My class included an oriental woman and a Wiccan. The following year, we took an American Indian. The school was heavy on the Jewish population, so we never faced an issue with that, but I also never got the feeling our national was comfortable with us. The combination of scary-smart, noncomformist, and diverse membership seemed to fluster them, but the chapter - eventually - flourished and is now the largest on campus.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Tess. I really don't want to offend any members of the groups I just named - 'cos this was actually a GREAT moment for PanHel. Each of the GLOs at my school have (today) members of every color and religion - so we live in a different time. In fact, the 'colorization' of the GLOs was just starting in the 1970s - and today, I believe it is fairly complete. (Don't throw some of those big SEC schools at me - - I talking about MY school)

(Now, this is NOT going to be a flattering picture of the alumnae of the GLO groups – sorry, but, there it is. The average alumnae in 1973 had gone to college in the 1950s – in the south (most folks didn't go further than 200 miles away to go to college). And, some were racists. If you've seen the movie, The Help, you saw that some of those characters were awful, and some were courageous. This is about the courageous types. I'm just glad I haven't met one of the awful racists types in about 30 years.)

When Lisa was a freshman the college was only about 5% non-white - - The school's administration had gone out of their way to encourage non-white enrollment – they established several 'full-ride' scholarships during the late 1960s and had struggled to boost their enrollment. They had started in 1965 with a few athletes, but by 1975 there were about 100 black students (also, some Asians – but they were mostly international students, the larger influx of Asians would be in the 1980s)

Last edited by SweetTeaParty; 08-08-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: minutization
Old 08-08-2015, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

When recruitment weekend arrived the sororities were ecstatic that one of the PNMs was Sue, the first non-white student to ever sign up. We really don't know what most of the other PNMs thought, but Lisa was unperturbed. I had been told by other ladies who joined their respective groups that year that it was a “Non-event” for them too.

It was NOT a non-event for the GLO alumnae support groups. NO WAY! When the rumors first started, some of the Alums were trying hard to keep Sue from attending any of the parties. But the Panhellenic Council told them that if the individual chapters wouldn't welcome Sue into their houses - - then NONE of the other PNMs could come to their house either.

That meant, NO NEW MEMBERS that year. (Pretty strong stuff, for a bunch of 19-21 year olds!)
Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

After Friday night parties, some of the GLO Alumnae groups told the actives that if Sue was given an invite to the Preference Party – there would be HORRENDOUS consequences.

Now at most of these houses they had very active Alumni - - in fact, most of the more beautiful things you found in the houses were “loaned” by the alumni to the collegians - - and the food and the decorations for the parties was prepared and paid for by - - the alumni.

So this could be a real problem.

But the collegians stuck to their ideals and told the alumni what to do with their racist attitude!

Sue received invitations to all of the GLO preference parties!

And, what happened next was UNHEARD OF!!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The big white rental trucks started rolling up to one of the houses EARLY on Sunday morning (the day of preference party).

The Alumnae came into that house and took out EVERYTHING.

They took the decorations, the food, the flowers, the furniture, the pictures and the rugs - - they even took the last can of Who-hash (sorry, Dr Suess).

The ladies sat down and cried (I would have too!)
Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

And that's when PanHel jumped into action! They quickly delayed the beginning of the Preference Parties and called everyone they knew.

Soon, furniture started arriving from the other GLOs on the campus, parents, friends and alums. The college sent over folding chairs, tablecloths and folding tables.

Don't have any food?

Well then, ALL the GLOs decided to just serve ice water and the same store bought cookies.

Don't have any flowers?

The Dean of Women sent floral arrangements of that GLO's flower - - and she was an alum of one of the other GLOs!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

And the PNMs?? Quite frankly, “What do they know?” . . . . NOTHING!! To them, it was just the way that the recruitment was supposed to be!!

They WERE told that the minimalist decorations was a way to keep the party focused on the PNMs - - I'm sure they never thought about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Sue DID receive a bid - -

and happily initiated into - -

AOII.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Just few years later (when I was Recruitment Chair) we had a PNM roster that included Black, Asian Indians, American Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese ladies.

There were no rumbles from the Alums - - and they were offered bids.

Last edited by SweetTeaParty; 08-09-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful story and epilogue! Thanks so much for sharing!

Chi Omega
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

SweetTea, would you be willing to PM me your school? I'd love to read more about your school and the chapters there!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeaParty View Post
Sue DID receive a bid - -

and happily initiated into - -

AOII.
I had a feeling it would be us. What a great story, I love recruitment stories with an AOII ending!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

What a well-told story, with such a wonderful point of view! I'm so thrilled to see the full story of each house, not just the top two or three.

Congratulations on making a HUGE difference!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Loved this entire story. It was very well written and made me think back to my recruitment.