GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,302
1 members and 1,301 guests
speedsters

Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

US Olympic Committee sends cease and desist letter to a knitting social network

So, I'm a member of Ravelry.com - a social network for knitters and crocheters - but I'm not sure how many others have heard of this little incident.

Every other year (Olympic year) there is a "Ravelympics" which consists of knittings and crocheting 'competitions' over the course of the actual Olympic Games. Seems the USOC has decided these competitions actually detract from the accomplishments of the Olympic athletes. . . Personally, I think their stance is stupid on a number of levels - one of which being not all of the 2 million Ravelry members live in the US (though the site is hosted and maintained in the US). Another thought that came to mind is if the USOC claims trademark infringement on the term 'Ravelympics' what about all the 'Mini Olympics' that take place on college campuses within the US?! Or all the Greek restaurants with Olympic in their names. . .

Here is an article that links to the letter (or at least covers the entire thing without requiring registration at Ravelry - unless you are a knitter or crocheter ). http://gawker.com/5920036/us-olympic...ium=socialflow
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

You'd think they'd be too busy with actually getting ready for the olympics to worry about fans knitting while watching the game. Oh the horror.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

They seriously don't have more important things to do?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that's just stupid.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryana View Post
So, I'm a member of Ravelry.com - a social network for knitters and crocheters - but I'm not sure how many others have heard of this little incident.

Every other year (Olympic year) there is a "Ravelympics" which consists of knittings and crocheting 'competitions' over the course of the actual Olympic Games. Seems the USOC has decided these competitions actually detract from the accomplishments of the Olympic athletes. . . Personally, I think their stance is stupid on a number of levels - one of which being not all of the 2 million Ravelry members live in the US (though the site is hosted and maintained in the US). Another thought that came to mind is if the USOC claims trademark infringement on the term 'Ravelympics' what about all the 'Mini Olympics' that take place on college campuses within the US?! Or all the Greek restaurants with Olympic in their names. . .

Here is an article that links to the letter (or at least covers the entire thing without requiring registration at Ravelry - unless you are a knitter or crocheter ). http://gawker.com/5920036/us-olympic...ium=socialflow
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. I have quite a few family members who are members who are not in any way American.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Just more confirmation on the fact that the Olympics are a giant waste of time, money and human effort. Olympic tie-ins on a product make me likely to NOT buy it. I'd be ecstatic if the whole thing vanished tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
They went after a restaurant here for infringing because the business was called Olympic Pizza. The company fought them and as far as I know are still called Olympic Pizza. There were tons of news stories about how ridiculous it was. This business had been around since way before we ever got the Games, so it wasn't like they were suddenly trying to cash in.
Going after a business or group for using the Olympic rings, I can easily see. But I think someone needs to point them to a dictionary so that they can learn that the word "Olympic" has meaning outside of the modern summer and winter Olympic Games.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Next thing you know they will have to rename the Olympic Mountain Range..

I do remember a few years ago that they went after the "Gay Olympics", which had to rename themselves the "Gay Games".

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

And the response. . . .
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2012/Jun...-sandusky.aspx
Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm more bothered by the fact that the guy's last name is Sandusky. I think I'd be changing that name - particularly if I were a semi-public figure associated with sports in any way. Yikes.

ETA: The whole ceast and desist thing is absolutely stupid.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I'm more bothered by the fact that the guy's last name is Sandusky. I think I'd be changing that name - particularly if I were a semi-public figure associated with sports in any way. Yikes.
I'm sorry but this comment is just absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure there are still people bearing the last names of Manson, Dahmer, Dillinger, Parker ad nauseum.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I love that they had to succumb to the power of a bunch of knitting-needle wielding old ladies who like to knit while they watch the Olympics. The response had me laughing out loud. Somehow I bet they didn't appreciate the voracity with which the knitting world would fight back.

I LOVE the Olympics and what they stand for (less so what they have become financially), but if you're talking Olympics=financial gain, it seems to me they just discovered a new market to tap for their advertisers. Middle aged white ladies like to knit while they watch the Olympics!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post

ETA: The whole ceast and desist thing is absolutely stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm sorry but this comment is just absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure there are still people bearing the last names of Manson, Dahmer, Dillinger, Parker ad nauseum.
To paraphrase the character Michael Bolton from Office Space, why should he change, the other one is the one who sucks.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You are totally right. It's just what I honed in on...the timing of it all (given that the jury has the case at this exact moment) is just too weird. All those names aren't in the news TODAY. I see Dillinger et al in the news today, NBD...but Sandusky? Related to sports? Yeah...that just stands out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
To paraphrase the character Michael Bolton from Office Space, why should he change, the other one is the one who sucks.
Favorite movie. But I probably would have gone by Mike if I were that guy.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You forgot the spinners, weavers, and dyers.

The Tour de Fleece is held every year and the Tour de France organization has never been publicly butt hurt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I love that they had to succumb to the power of a bunch of knitting-needle wielding old ladies who like to knit while they watch the Olympics. The response had me laughing out loud. Somehow I bet they didn't appreciate the voracity with which the knitting world would fight back.

I LOVE the Olympics and what they stand for (less so what they have become financially), but if you're talking Olympics=financial gain, it seems to me they just discovered a new market to tap for their advertisers. Middle aged white ladies like to knit while they watch the Olympics!
Ravelympics isn't old ladies, isn't just knitting, and it isn't focused on sitting around watching the Olympics. Furthermore, ascribing knitting to only middle aged white ladies is rather ignorant.

A group of knitters in Britain were making pillows for the Paralympic athletes and were also given cease and desist commands, which is just one of the shady things the Olympic Committee has done surrounding the games in London this year.