GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,402
0 members and 1,402 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2000, 05:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Question contacting members

Greetings to the hosts of this forum and all members. For all that are in school right now, I hope you all are doing well so far this school year. I am a young woman in college in Alaska. I have a few questions that have been in my head and on my heart for a while now. I would appreciate any response to any of these questions.

1. I have heard tell that there is more than one graduate chapter in Alaska. If anybody could confirm or denounce this rumor, please do so.

2. How does one get in contact with local members if there is no graduate chapter in the immediate area? I have seen a few "AKA" plates on cars, but I don't think it would come across too well for me to chase them down on the highway.

3. I have also heard that there is an undergraduate chapter at the University of Alaska, Anchorage, however, it is presently inactive. If anybody could confirm or denounce this rumor, please do so as well.

Thank you in advance for any answers or advice that you can give. If the answers are not appropriate for a public forum, my e-mail address is cold_hope@yahoo.com.

Peace and Blessings to you all
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2000, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Ah, I suppose I do come across quite uninformed in my previous post. However, I have done my research and that is why I came to this forum to ask questions. I have looked at the website numerous times and I know that they only have one chapter (graduate) listed for my area. Alaska is huge and the one graduate chapter is not as easily accessible as one in the "Lower 48."

If these are the only answers you can give, then I thank you for them.

Peace and Blessings
Old 09-24-2000, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

www.aka1908.com

What RESEARCH have YOU done? That is your job.... instead of going on what he or she says...

NETWORK...NETWORK.

I am not trying to sound OUT OF ORDER, VAGUE or RUDE, but....HEY!
Old 09-24-2000, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I have seen you around many sites and you seem like a genuine interested sista and it
seems as if you have been interested for awhile now. I believe that you have done your research but the web site is the best place for you to begin/continue your quest. Alaska is pretty far away and I don’t think we have had many, if any, Alaskan sorors on the board so it is real hard for me and probably most of the sorors to confirm or deny the things you are asking. Use the web site and make phone calls/ write letters to chapters in and outside of your region .... maybe sorors in the surrounding area whether it be 5 or 50 miles away from you, will better be able to inform you. Any other question please feel free to e-mail me ... and have I have told you I like your tag name, it definitely goes with the area you
are in :-0
Old 09-26-2000, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thank you for the useful information! I have attempted to contact the one graduate chapter in the state. If that doesn't come through then I will move on to contacting chapters in this and other regions. If the Lord is willing, I will get some information in the near future. Other than that, I will most definitely e-mail you with further questions. Thank you again!

Peace and Blessings
Old 10-06-2000, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear Interest:

Please email me at your earliest convenience. If you have truly been to the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. corporate website, then you may be aware that we goverened in regions.

The great state of Alaska is a part of the Fantastic Far Western Region. Since the newly inducted Regional Director is FROM my graduate chapter with her and several other members on her team from the Alaska n cluster can help you implement your ultimate desire.

My email address is:

gmoore68@excite.com

I will forward your request onto her. Her name is Mrs. Diana Shipley and you will want to compose a letter stating your interest in chartering a chapter. It will take at least 2 years...

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited October 06, 2000).]
Old 10-10-2000, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much for your response. I will e-mail you promptly. However, I am unsure of the type of letter you are asking for. Is the letter the kind of interest letter one would submit to a chapter which is already established? I am not at all swayed by the fact that it will take at least 2 years. In Alaska, one has nothing but time. Thanks again.

Peace and Blessings

[This message has been edited by Frozen_Hopeful (edited October 10, 2000).]
Old 10-10-2000, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

it is a letter of interest same as to a chapter. in the letter, you should put info about yourself (year in school, gpa, activities, etc.). if there are others who are interested, put their names down as well, particularly if they meed the standards described on the AKA website. at the same time, send a letter to the grad chapter in Alaska concerning your desire. they could help a lot, considering they're in your state.
Old 10-10-2000, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

See the Net does work, If you come around long enough, and are humble and gracious enough a Soror will reach her hand out to you!!
Frozen_Hopeful I wish you much luck!!

Sisterly
LadyAKA
Old 10-10-2000, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozen_Hopeful:
Thank you very much for your response. I will e-mail you promptly. However, I am unsure of the type of letter you are asking for. Is the letter the kind of interest letter one would submit to a chapter which is already established? I am not at all swayed by the fact that it will take at least 2 years. In Alaska, one has nothing but time. Thanks again.

Peace and Blessings

[This message has been edited by Frozen_Hopeful (edited October 10, 2000).]
Thanks Soror WenD08!

Frozen-hope:

In addition to what my soror said, you will want to do some population studies on who will want to join Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Is it economically feasible for them in your area? You will need at least 12 other girls who want to seriously pursue membership. That is one of the reasons why it takes 2 years...

There are also, numerous other things to consider such as financing from each member and relative ease to travel, e.g. can you come to California within 2-6 months and stay at least 1 week in a hotel?

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited October 10, 2000).]

Old 10-12-2000, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your responses. WenD08, that information is good to know. I'll have to make a few revisions to my original letter of interest. LadyAKA, thanks for your vote of confidence. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet:
Thanks Soror WenD08!

Frozen-hope:

In addition to what my soror said, you will want to do some population studies on who will want to join Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Is it economically feasible for them in your area? You will need at least 12 other girls who want to seriously pursue membership. That is one of the reasons why it takes 2 years...

There are also, numerous other things to consider such as financing from each member and relative ease to travel, e.g. can you come to California within 2-6 months and stay at least 1 week in a hotel?

Well, I believe my next task should be finding interested females that meet the criteria set on the website. Economic feasibility shouldn't be a problem. The State of Alaska gives all residents a dividend check every year of at least $1000. We are blessed. However, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Again thanks everyone.

Peace and Blessings