GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,349
2 members and 2,347 guests
Cookiez17, flamboyanttree

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

If only I'd known then....

Hey all- anyone around here that remembers me? LOL!! I've been lurking and not posting for some time again and started thinking-
I joined Greekchat around late 1999 and back then I was a 19 year old sophomore, just joined a struggling chapter in my sorority, had NO CLUE what I had gotten myself into and I was looking for a place to find information that could help me and my chapter.

Now- fast forward I am 27, engaged, buying a house and have a great job! But I started thinking about it and sort of wish I could go back to 19 year old ilovemyglo and tell her a few things..

So this thread is for the things you wish you would have known back then (i.e. high school, college or whatever!).

So I will start:

1. You need to realize that the guy you think is so cute and you want to talk to- well, you can talk to him. It won't hurt if he isn't in to you- and rejection isn't so bad as regret. So please go talk to him so that you don't have to wonder if MAYBE you could have had a chance.

2. Those people that you are so jealous of- let it go- it isn't worth it. You have no reason to be jealous of anyone because you have everything and don't realize it. You have an incredible family, some amazing friends and this is a great time in your life for learning and exploring- so she has perfect skin and drives a 350z- learn to love yourself and you will be so far ahead of her!! (and the shallow people you meet- they will still be shallow in ten years, but 2 of them will have figured out they were jerks so continue to be nice to all of them. You never know who may end up being a cop or senator!).

3. Don't take school so seriously. Yes, good grades help you get a good FIRST job, but after that, no one cares that you had a 3.96 or that you missed that Aerosmith concert to study and get an A on your midterms!! YOU MISSED FRONT ROW AT AEROSMITH DUMBA$$!!!

4. That college boyfriend- he probably isn't THE ONE- neither is the one after him, or after that one. He's going to show up at a time you don't expect it, in a place you don't expect it and you may very well despise him when you initially meet. Don't judge a book by a cover, as you wouldn't want people to judge you that way.

Okay I have plenty more- but I want to see what everyone else shares!

Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Follow your own dreams. If you live the life that others lay out for you, the only thing you'll have to show for it is regret. Scrutinize every decision you make and ask yourself: Will this make YOU happy?

Don't be afraid to make changes. Life is a journey, not a destination. Try new things in order to live life to the fullest.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember you. I had a different name back then though

good advice
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Nice topic, but I've been around so long I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'll just leave it that life is ever changing, and no matter what you do, someday you'll look back and say,

Huh?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

To my freshman year self...
This is not high school, you will have to actually study in most of your classes.

To my sophomore year self...
It's not worth lying to your girl just so you can try to remain friends with someone.

To my junior year self...
If someone asks you about a lie...tell the truth the first time asked, not the 4th.

To myself of yesterday...
Stop procrastinating! You have dreams and aspirations and only you (and God) can make them happen.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
cliche, i know...

DEAR SELF FROM 8 YEARS AGO...

HE'S REALLY NOT THAT INTO YOU! REALLY! no, seriously. he didn't call you on your birthday? he was with his other girl. he didn't call you on the 3 days following your birthday? he was with his other girl. when he finally did call, he didnt even remember it was your birthday three days ago???? HE WAS WITH HIS OTHER GIRL!!! what is wrong with you? looks and a car arent everything...

love, me
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyglo View Post
Hey all- anyone around here that remembers me? LOL!! I've been lurking and not posting for some time again and started thinking-
I joined Greekchat around late 1999 and back then I was a 19 year old sophomore, just joined a struggling chapter in my sorority, had NO CLUE what I had gotten myself into and I was looking for a place to find information that could help me and my chapter.
Welcome back, S!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Good forum topic!

Dear 1996-2001 Nicole:

All of those class projects that you worried so much over, agonizing about how you were going to do on them: guess what? Today I don't even REMEMBER half of the classes I took!

Life is going to take you places you've never even dreamed of... all of those plans you made to stay in your hometown... yeah, not gonna happen, and you'll be happy it didn't.

YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK!!!!!

Sincerely,

2007 Nicole
Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Dear Freshman Year AlwaysSAI,

-Don't wait for your sister to do something and succeed until you try it! Leave the comfort zone and go for the unconventional.
-What he did to you was not okay and no, you didn't ask for it. There are two people that will continue to talk crap about you for turning him in, but you did what you had to do, girl. No matter what anyone says, you know you told the truth.
-Dump that a$$hole you think you're in love with. 2 years from now he's going to leave you to be with a 16yr old girl and then beg your forgiveness. No, you won't get back with him, but it'll be easier if you just walk away now.
-It'll all be worth it in the end. Keep smiling, even through the tears and know that for every 1 person that doesn't like you-there are 5 more wishing they could achieve what you have.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:31 PM

If i had known then, I wouldve stayed away from my ex that is now affectionately known as "fat bastard." Long story short, I'm married, have been for over a year, and he's tried to wreck every relationship i've been in since him. I have a restraining order. He's a nutjob stalker.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Younger Self--

Never fear help and assistance from those who can help you. Always, trust your gut instinct and see the reality of people straight up. Never fear confrontation, but be respectful and always keep calm with the major idea or wants you need to convey. Exercise for fun and be more merry. Life only gets better if you make it so. And remember who always will love you, and love yourself passionately.

Love,

Older Self...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

To Collegiate Rashid: Take the hints. They will lead to more sex. Trust me, more sex during 1997-2001 will vastly improve your disposition.

To 2003 Rashid: You REALLY need to see Maya the next time she's in DC. I don't care how tired you are, do it.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

College Self: You're smart and if you study more, lots of opportunities will open up to you. Introduce yourself to your professors, go to office hours and attend class everyday (except for that time you skipped class to re-do the rush book--people were counting on you.)

You have your whole life ahead of you--stop looking for a man to marry and start loving yourself. You have dreams and nothing tying you down. Want to work in NYC or DC?--you can. Want to join the Peace Corps--you can. Want to go to grad school--you should! Maybe if you stop worrying about finding a man to love you, you'll find lots of girl friends who will lift you up when you need it.

Don't let the haters get the best of you--be better than expected. Live with integrity. Explore your interests. And make working out a habit!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

to my 12 year old self: it's not your fault, you didn't know, you helped her the best that you could

to my 23 year old self: stay in the service/restaurant/bar industry.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyglo View Post
4. That college boyfriend- he probably isn't THE ONE- neither is the one after him, or after that one. He's going to show up at a time you don't expect it, in a place you don't expect it and you may very well despise him when you initially meet. Don't judge a book by a cover, as you wouldn't want people to judge you that way.
To my younger self,

SEE ABOVE.

Love,

me now

It's a jungle out there.