GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,158
3 members and 2,155 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF56
The same thing is occurring in Florida because of our Bright Futures scholarship. I have taught HS for the past three years and have noticed every year that is it is harder for the students to get into UF.

Yes, this is so true. At the high school I taught @ in Miami, probably 90% of the students in the IB program went to UF, rather than going out of state, because of the free tuition from the Bright Futures scholarships, etc...

I was shocked when one of my students turned down Harvard to go to UF for free. Personally, I'd WANT my kid to choose Harvard over UF - and I'm a die-hard Gator - I will gladly take out loans (if I have to) to pay for an Ivy League education.
Here is a link to an article regarding the issue of whether some state universities are admitting too many out of state students, while excluding students from the home state.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...es-cover_x.htm

Kdonline, I definitely agree with your opinion. An education from a top LAC or research university is well worth the cost.

Last edited by alum; 09-01-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2006, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

While I understand your point about the top notch Ivy League schools, I have to disagree. Ok, maybe not completely disagree but I'd certainly have to think long and hard about it.

Free education at a highly respected in state school vs. $42,500+ per year for out of state at Harvard (tuition, room & board, books and supplies cost listed at http://www.collegetoolkit.com/Colleg...d/166027.aspx). Of course that's without any financial assistance that may be available and accumulated savings which would have to be factored in to the decision.

I don't know what my Hubby, my son and I would decide if we were in this situation. I don't want to see my son saddled with massive loan payments for the rest of his life. Nor do I want to jeopardize my Hubby's and my future by taking on massive debt as we near retirement age. We're not planning on retiring in luxury. We simply don't want to end up in the poorhouse and have to rely on our son to take care of us financially either.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

We have many students from Northern Virginia heading South for college. Many spend a semester or two away, build up their GPA. then transfer into schools like the University of Virginia or William & Mary. Coming from high schools in Northern Virginia, we actually have a set a quota for students from Fairfax, Loudon, Prince William and Fauqier counties in relation to the remainder of the Commonwealth.

My daughter had decent SAT scores, grades, extracurriculars, etc., but chose to apply only at the University of Alabama after being on campus four hours! No University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, Williams & Mary, or George Mason University for her - with all due respect to those fine schools. She felt a university from the Deep South with its lure of a traditional Greek system, great football history and tradition, architecture, Southern people, among other reasons, was for her.

Fairfax High School sent nine students to Bama last year, although I believe three went this year. We personally know several students the past few years who went to Auburn And I discovered that several more are heading further south to my alma mater of the University of South Florida, which is growing by leaps and bounds.

Lots of reasons to head to Dixie....
Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad DZ
We have many students from Northern Virginia heading South for college. Many spend a semester or two away, build up their GPA. then transfer into schools like the University of Virginia or William & Mary. Coming from high schools in Northern Virginia, we actually have a set a quota for students from Fairfax, Loudon, Prince William and Fauqier counties in relation to the remainder of the Commonwealth.

Fairfax High School sent nine students to Bama last year, although I believe three went this year. ...Lots of reasons to head to Dixie....
Northern VA is so much different than the rest of VA. As a broad generalization, it is is much more multicultural, politically liberal, highly educated, densely populated than areas outside the counties mentioned above. This is not necessarily a good thing, but it is what it is.

This is reflected in the students that come from the area. They are driven, hard-charging kids just like their parents.

State schools want the student bodies to represent the entire state not just one area. I wouldn't resent a student from the Norfolk area taking "my kid's spot" assuming they had the same raw score assessed to their application package but I certainly would be angry if it was an OOS applicant.

In terms of where kids go OOS from VA especially to a different state's public school, I think much has to do with the guidance and career offices at the schools. Fairfax HS clearly has a relationship now with UA. The Alabama admissions office is seeing the performance of these former Virginians in relation to the student body.

For some reason my neighborhood's local FCPS high school routinely sends between 4-6 kids every year to the University of Montana. I know one student is going there for the film school (apparently Robert Redford and Sundance have given a lot of $ to the department) but no idea on the rest.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
[QUOTE=Zillini]
Free education at a highly respected in state school vs. $42,500+ per year for out of state at Harvard (tuition, room & board, books and supplies cost listed at http://www.collegetoolkit.com/Colleg...d/166027.aspx). Of course that's without any financial assistance that may be available and accumulated savings which would have to be factored in to the decision.
QUOTE]

The endowment at an IL is large enough, that students do not pay the full tuition. Often, (ex. Harvard), if your parents make under a set income school is free; if you go into a public service type position your loans are paid in full, etc. I would wager, that a senior from a state school vs. senior from an IL would owe the same upon graduation. (I am not including state schools where free tuition is given to all students with a certain GPA).

That is only the beginning... Many large firms do not even recruit anywhere but IL or the equivilent. Prior to returning to school for Nursing, I worked as the Admin Manager for a mid-sized Cap. Mkts group. Starting salary w/ bonus for new assoc. was close to 100k. (that was five years ago). Unless you had an in.. we did not look at resumes from State schools and/or many Private schools. I would argue w/ the type of network that ILs offer, the earning potential is far greater on base.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Public-College Graduates Accrue Almost as Much Student-Loan Debt as Private-College Peers, Report Says

By STEPHEN BURD
http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/08/2006083003n.htm

Students who attend public universities and state colleges graduate with nearly as much student-loan debt as those at private colleges on average, according to a report released on Tuesday.

The report, "Student Debt and the Class of 2005," is the work of the Project on Student Debt, an effort being led by Robert M. Shireman, a former senior education-policy adviser in the Clinton administration. The project, which is being financed by the Pew Charitable Trusts, is working to develop public-policy proposals to reduce the burden of student debt on those least able to afford it.

The report's authors analyzed data on the average debt levels of college students who graduated in 2005, as reported by more than 1,400 four-year colleges around the country to Peterson's, a publisher of college guidebooks.

The authors found that the average debt for seniors graduating from public colleges ranged from $23,198 in Iowa to $11,067 in Utah; the average debt of those from private colleges ranged from $32,504 in Arizona to $13,309 in Utah.

While in most states the average debt of graduates from public colleges is lower than that of private-college graduates, the reverse is true in seven states: Arkansas, Delaware, Iowa, Kentucky, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

The report also found that just because a state college is relatively inexpensive does not mean that its students are not taking on large debt loads. And conversely, just because a private college is costly does not mean its students are assuming unmanageable levels of debt.

In many cases, students from low-income families who attend low-cost institutions have no other option but to take out loans to pay for books, food, rent, and other living expenses. As a result, "a number of campuses with low in-state tuition," of less than $3,500, and high proportions of low-income students report having "average student debt levels of more than $20,000," the report says. Those colleges include Florida A&M University, Grambling State University, North Carolina A&T State University, and Texas Southern University.

At the same time, some of the costliest private colleges provide such generous amounts of institutional need-based aid that financially needy students do not need to borrow as much as they otherwise would if they attended lower-priced institutions.

According to the report, more than 30 private colleges "charge more than $20,000 in tuition yet report that the average debt of their graduates is $15,000 or less." Those include Amherst College, Bard College, Colgate University, the Johns Hopkins University, Macalester College, Sarah Lawrence College, Swarthmore College, Tufts University, and Williams College.

Along with the report, the project has posted on its Web site an interactive map that provides statewide averages and campus-by-campus data.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM

My sister went to an Ivy League university and, things may be different now but back then if you were granted admission, the school made sure you were given enough in grants and scholarships to get through. I understand that it also helped that our family was spectacularly poor.

So she got through college with very little debt but her debt from medical school? YIKES
Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

My son was interested in Princeton. A representative came down for a presentation, and we found out that Princeton doesn't give any merit-based scholarships. He decided not to apply. He did apply to Dartmouth though and was accepted. Over half of what they offered in scholarships was what he brought to the table. A friend told me how well-endowed the Ivies were, too. That was just not our experience.

He was also accepted at Duke. They offered more than Dartmouth, but not enough for us to consider it. My son wants to be a doctor, so we just couldn't justify that kind of expense for his undergrad when we'd have med school to look forward to.

My son is a freshman in the Honors College at Clemson. He got all the in-state scholarships for his good grades plus other scholarships and a Clemson scholarship. We got a refund that basically will pay for his PC. He has been a Clemson fan for as long as we can remember, and I think he is very happy. He'll be even happier when he isn't ten zillion dollars in debt!

My son is smart enough and driven enough to make the most of his education, wherever that may be. I'm just glad he is not that far from home!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This past year the valedictorian and salutitorian did not get into UF however they did get into FSU. The sad thing is that they both had like 4.5's and over 1400 on their SATS as well as tons of volunteering and extracirriculars.
This just blows my mind.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the topic...

One of the girls I went to high school with got a bid at USC, from her first choice & I understand that it's a top house... without a rec.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The top LACs and national universities don't supply merit-based scholarships because they don't need to attract candidates. They are already getting 10 applications for every spot. Duke is a notable exception with the generous Robertson Scholarship.

What these top schools do however, is to make sure much of the financial aid package for need-based candidates is in the form of a grant. So if a kid has an EFC of $30,000 and he's going to HYP that has a COA of $48K, the majority if not all of his financial aid package will be grant. A school with a smaller endowment may be able only able to provide 5K in grant and give out guaranteed loans and w/s to cover the rest. Some schools don't promise to entirely cover need and there may be a gap between their FA package of grant/GSL/ws and the net amount of COA minus the EFC.

The problem arises when a family's Estimated Family Contribution as calculated by FAFSA and the CSS Profile may be different than what the family thinks it can afford or is willing to pay: especially if there is future education planned immediately after the BS/BA degree.

Every year my friends and I laugh together (and probably cry in secret) about the official EFC number. My friend with 5 kids who is a SAHM and her H works for the gov't has an EFC of $40K. A military officer down the street whose W is a substitute teacher has an EFC of $50K. These are ordinary, middle-class people. We were stunned in disbelief at our FAFSA figure.

If you want merit-aid, you have to look at schools where 1. your class rank, GPA and SAT/ACT scores are MUCH higher than the 75% ranking, 2. they actually have merit-aid listed on their FA or admissions webpage.

And yes, when you have an outside scholarship from a local source, it is subtracted from your FA package. Again, unfair in my eyes, but that's the way it is.

----

Every family has to decide what's important to them. Quite frankly, going to the big flagship school in many states is a better way to have professional connections than going to an Ivy.

Last edited by alum; 09-01-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd1014
This just blows my mind.
Tell me about it...granted if they would have applied for Summer B or Early Admissions and not just the General Fall semester they would have gotten in. They even filled out appeal packages. I am not sure if anything came of it because at graduation they were still waiting to hear if their appeals went through.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzieAlum
Public-College Graduates Accrue Almost as Much Student-Loan Debt as Private-College Peers, Report Says
[hijack from OT]
We were just talking about this at work today. I went to a state school, paid in-state tuition and still racked up $20K in student loans and that was 5 years ago.

The husband went to a small, private engineering school but was able to get grants and scholarships so that he had less than $15K in debt which, at the time 10 years ago, was a little less than tuition for one year. Tuition now is around $30K/year.[/hijack]
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 09-01-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As I've said before, recommendations for out out of state non-legacies are particularly crucial in a competitive recruiting environment like the SEC schools. That being said.....

I just read the replies to my DZ daughter's thank you notes to all the wonderful alumni from

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Delta Pi

Alpha Gamma Delta

Alpha Omicron Pi

Chi Omega

Delta Zeta

Delta Delta Delta

Kappa Alpha Theta

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kappa Delta

Phi Mu

Pi Beta Phi

Zeta Tau Alpha

First, I wish to thank these wonderful alums myself becausethey helped my little girl join a wonderful DZ organization by their contributions. After Kristen wrote her respective thank you notes, each alum wrote back a personal note of congratulations and best wishes.

You ladies are just too much. I love you all,

BamaDad DZ

Last edited by BamaDad DZ; 09-01-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis
One of the girls I went to high school with got a bid at USC, from her first choice & I understand that it's a top house... without a rec.
OK, did you mean for this to go in a different thread?
On your subject...don't be so sure she didn't have a rec. PNMs really shouldn't have to get their own recs. The sororities contact their alumnae asking for recs on girls going through. The PNMs might not even be aware that alumnae are recommending them (or not).
Closed Thread