GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,189
2 members and 2,187 guests
PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Delt pledged a guy from Jersey...and he was like a typical Jersey kid. I think he must of had connections because there is no way we would have pledged a guy from the north, furthermore from that state.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really sure why it is so shocking that someone from the north may want to go to a school in the South. I am myself from NY, and I went to college in Charlotte, NC. One reason a lot of people decide to go to southern schools as opposed to northern ones is because they are often a lot cheaper. Particularly with reference to private colleges, the difference in tuition is exponential (I know this because I worked for my school's Admissions office for four years). I had no prior connection to my southern university--I was simply recruited well. Also, with reference to my Greek experience, many of the Panhellenic sororities on my campus recruited northern women, because they recognized traits in these women that they sought to add to their sisterhood. I'm actually somewhat surprised that where someone is from has anything to do with whether or not they will be recruited by certain organizations.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk
Phi Delt pledged a guy from Jersey...and he was like a typical Jersey kid. I think he must of had connections because there is no way we would have pledged a guy from the north, furthermore from that state.

Hm, it may be interesting to learn from others instead of being In Bred so to speak!

It is a lot bigger wolrd than you may think!

That is why I Talk via Phone dailey with Members of other GLOs besides mine.

Expand or be a ????

Live and learn, You may live in NJ some day!

Learn the Lingo!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it more difficult to get into a state school as an out-of-state (OOS) student vs an instate (ISS) assuming that the national rankings are relatively close? So even if a Georgia girl doesn't get the Hope Scholarship, wouldn't it still be easier and cheaper for her to go to UGa or GaTech vs OOS to Ole Miss/Alabama etc?

North Carolina has it mandated through the state legislature that no more than 15-18% of students at each public university (to include the flagship, Chapel Hill) can be OOS. I think that's great for NC residents. After all, state taxes are partially used to subsidize the public school system. Most of the people in VA wish our commonwealth would legislate the maximum percentage of OOSers at our public colleges and universities, but the politicians in Charlottesville haven't done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillini
"Here's something to throw in the mix. The Georgia Hope scholarship has made it harder on GA girls going through Recruitment at Bama and probably elsewhere as well. Chapters have been "burned" by pledging GA girls who: 1) Only attend long enough to get their grades up enough to transfer back home for the free tuition. 2) After a year of paying out of state tuition Mom and Dad tell her they can't afford it or simply don't want to pay it anymore and she must move back home because it's free".
Auburn and Alabama are also not getting the best girls from Georgia, either, because these are the girls that can't get into UGA and it's their back up school. A lot of the girls going to Bama, Missippippi and Auburn from our HS couldn't qualify for HOPE anyway, and may or may not ever get their grades up. But they definitely aren't getting Georgia's top students.

Last edited by alum; 08-31-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally depends on the school.

Yes, it's cheaper to go to UGA or Tech, but they aren't getting in because the HOPE has made the admissions much more competitive for in state students. Students who would've gone out of state or private are staying here. It is getting to be "big d@mn deal" to get into UGA these days. Plenty of people my age who went there say they could never get in now. This opinion is totally anecdotal, but at our HS, if you can't get into UGA, you go to Auburn/Alabama/OleMiss, not the other way around.

To get in to UNC-Chapel Hill or UVA, you need to be in the high 1400's to 1500 and in the top one or two in your class. We've had 3 from our HS get into UNC the last two years and only one get into UVA. I've heard UT-Austin is difficult, too, but not too many people head that far out from our HS.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The same thing is occurring in Florida because of our Bright Futures scholarship. I have taught HS for the past three years and have noticed every year that is it is harder for the students to get into UF. I haven't noticed the trend with FSU but I am sure it is happening. This past year the valedictorian and salutitorian did not get into UF however they did get into FSU. The sad thing is that they both had like 4.5's and over 1400 on their SATS as well as tons of volunteering and extracirriculars. I think more and more Florida students are going to Auburn. I know quite a few girls who have gone without recs and have become Phi Mus and DZs. But sometimes I think SEC schools consider students from SEC states as locals and not necessairly the same as someone from say New York.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting...We know lots of Virginians who didn't get into UVa &/or William and Mary who end up going to Penn State (the one in State College) instead of the next level of VA schools of Tech, JMU, now GMU etc. I have no idea if they try to transfer back or not. Luckily my D's friends who wanted a large instate public school were accepted to the schools of their choice.

I hear a lot of parents of college aged kids say they could never get accepted to their alma mater (no matter if it's public or private) based on today's standards. I do alumni interviews for my undergraduate school's admissions as does my H for his and we are both truly impressed at what is in these hs applicants' resumes.

I can't imagine that Chapel Hill/Berkeley/Ann Arbor being much different than UVa and W&M....These are why these schools are in top rankings of the country. Based on the way my neighbors speak, I think they would gladly downgrade the national ranking of our flagship public schools if it would mean more instate kids would be admitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue
Totally depends on the school.

Yes, it's cheaper to go to UGA or Tech, but they aren't getting in because the HOPE has made the admissions much more competitive for in state students. Students who would've gone out of state or private are staying here. It is getting to be "big d@mn deal" to get into UGA these days. Plenty of people my age who went there say they could never get in now. This opinion is totally anecdotal, but at our HS, if you can't get into UGA, you go to Auburn/Alabama/OleMiss, not the other way around.

To get in to UNC-Chapel Hill or UVA, you need to be in the high 1400's to 1500 and in the top one or two in your class. We've had 3 from our HS get into UNC the last two years and only one get into UVA. I've heard UT-Austin is difficult, too, but not too many people head that far out from our HS.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It kind of goes in cycles at our HS. Last 2 years a big bunch went to Auburn. This year we had more at Alabama, but it was mostly boys. A few years ago Florida was big, then it was Clemson.

Auburn is pretty popular because we are on the west side of the metro area, it's only a couple hours away and the largest out of state alumni club is in the Atlanta area.

'course it's nuthin like lovin' them dawgs.....
Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

They say applications will go WAY up at George Mason for the class of 2007 because of the Patriots' performance in the NCAA basketball tournament. It's great for GMU but I wish the increase would be due to the 2 faculty members that recently received the Nobel Prizes in their academic fields.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
Hm, it may be interesting to learn from others instead of being In Bred so to speak!

It is a lot bigger wolrd than you may think!

That is why I Talk via Phone dailey with Members of other GLOs besides mine.

Expand or be a ????

Live and learn, You may live in NJ some day!

Learn the Lingo!
Mr. Earp, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

If I had to live in Jersey, I would rather become a slave somewhere in Mississippi than move there. "Dailey" is spelled "daily" and "In Bred" is one word, "inbred". I spend wayy too much time talking to members of other GLO's besides mine, seeing as I my graduating high school class was over 1/5 my graduating class was Greek (excluding hispanics and blacks, who do not have a chance of primarily white GLO's...no offense, that's how it is in the south, i'm not going to justify it). Learn what lingo man?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk
So you don't like people from the Channel Islands? Why not? They have charming British accents.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005
I'm not really sure why it is so shocking that someone from the north may want to go to a school in the South. I am myself from NY, and I went to college in Charlotte, NC. One reason a lot of people decide to go to southern schools as opposed to northern ones is because they are often a lot cheaper. Particularly with reference to private colleges, the difference in tuition is exponential (I know this because I worked for my school's Admissions office for four years). I had no prior connection to my southern university--I was simply recruited well. Also, with reference to my Greek experience, many of the Panhellenic sororities on my campus recruited northern women, because they recognized traits in these women that they sought to add to their sisterhood. I'm actually somewhat surprised that where someone is from has anything to do with whether or not they will be recruited by certain organizations.
I am also from your area. I decided to go to the University of Florida because it has one of the best broadcast journalism programs in the country. And.. you can't beat the weather!

When I went through rush, I found most of the sororities were completely open to women from anywhere. There were only two out of all of them at the time which looked for southerners.. one was comprised of very "deep south" women (ala "The Southern Belle Primer") and another sorority that seemed to take in only women from in-state. I checked that chapter's website out of curiosity not too long ago for the members and their hometowns, and sure enough.. they're still all from Florida.

It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I realized for the first time that some people haven't gotten word yet that the civil war is over.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000
ha ha!! KillarneyRose,
When (not if) your daughter becomes a DG, she'll be part of a wonderful sisterhood also!

Hey, now! I still have seven years left to brainwash, er, I mean discuss the matter with, her
Old 09-01-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF56
I have taught HS for the past three years and have noticed every year that is it is harder for the students to get into UF.

Have you really been out of college for three years???? It doesn't seem that long ago that you were colonizing your chapter!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF56
The same thing is occurring in Florida because of our Bright Futures scholarship. I have taught HS for the past three years and have noticed every year that is it is harder for the students to get into UF.

Yes, this is so true. At the high school I taught @ in Miami, probably 90% of the students in the IB program went to UF, rather than going out of state, because of the free tuition from the Bright Futures scholarships, etc...

I was shocked when one of my students turned down Harvard to go to UF for free. Personally, I'd WANT my kid to choose Harvard over UF - and I'm a die-hard Gator - I will gladly take out loans (if I have to) to pay for an Ivy League education.
Closed Thread