GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,607
1 members and 1,606 guests
navane

Old 12-22-2002, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Terika03 Send a message via Yahoo to Terika03
Question High School Students Being intersted in Becoming Greek

How do you feel about High School students believing that they know which organization they want to pledge when they go to college?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2002, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Strive
Believing something and knowing something are completely two different things. So before you make that big step just read this.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Pan-Hellenic Council Black Greek Letter Organizations (PHC-BGLOs) are not a college clubs. It is a lifetime commitment. If you are interested in a PHC-BGLO, because
They have the best parties,
All your friends are in it,
And you fit the stereotype

Then you are in for a rude awakening. The average age of a member is not 20 years old, but 40-50 years old. Most members are family and career-oriented people who work toward the principles or goals of their PHC-BGLO.

Before joining, do the following.
Read about the organization; do not let your emotions choose for you. Becoming a part of a PHC-BGLO just because all of your friends are in it. It is not wise reason for joining. Ask yourself objectively, can I work for these principles or goals for the rest of my life. Do I believe in these principles? Do the principles fit into my lifestyle? It is best to join a PHC-BGLO because you believe you can work toward the principles of the PHC-BGLO.
Friends abandoned you because you pledge another PHC-BGLO. They were never your friends in the first place. True friendships do not end because friends joined different sororities and fraternities. There are plenty of family members who are Zetas, SGRhos, AKAs, Deltas, Sigmas, Kappas, Iotas, Alphas, and Ques. They are still close and love one another.

Why should you not use your emotions?
The reason, why you should not let your emotions choose for you, is because you will be choosing the PHC-BGLO based on your current emotional state. When you are young, it is fun to live in the moment and be spontaneous. But living in the moment is not desirable when choosing a PHC-BGLO. First you must be objective before you are subjective. Before you make your choice. Look at the PHC-BGLO as an object and ask yourself why has this PHC-BGLO existed for so long. Some of you might have heard that you should learn about the PHC-BGLO PHC-BGLO before you "join" them. This is a faulty reason to do research. For one reason, it gives you false hope. It is possible that you may be denied membership. Learn about the PHC-BGLO simply because you are curious about the historical perspective, not because you want to be apart of one. How has the PHC-BGLO benefited its communities? The answer will be part of your research. Also, do not be afraid to call Nationals. When you called Nationals, let them know why you are calling. The individual on the phone may be very busy, but do not let this discourage you. Just call again. Remember when calling put a smile in your voice. Once you can answer these questions. Then you need to ask yourself how can I spread the principles and goals of this PHC-BGLO. Am I ready to be apart of PHC-BGLO? What can I offer to this PHC-BGLO?
A sad drawback for letting your emotions chooses for you. All chapters are not the same. All sorors on one campus may not be as friendly as the next campus. If you choose PHC-BGLO because all the sorors were friendly, nice, and warm, then transfer to another chapter and enter a different atmosphere. You will be disappointed.

All my friends are in XYZ PHC-BGLO
Unfortunately, some people joined a PHC-BGLO because all their friends are in it. If your friends were not in XYZ PHC-BGLO would you be interested in that PHC-BGLO. I had to answer this question my self. Most of the friends were not Zetas. My answer to the question was NO! So that is why I say it is best to become a part of a PHC-BGLO based on its principles and goals.
A sad drawback to this is if two soror or frats disagree on a subject. Emotions can be so strong that the one who simply joined the PHC-BGLO because all his/her friends are apart of the PHC-BGLO will be most likely to become inactive and non-financial.
Another sad drawback is you are paying for friendship. The cost to stay active is more than $100.00. It is really sad when someone must pay for friends.

Choose the PHC-BGLO based on Nationals, not local chapter
When you do your research make sure you based your decisions on what is happening on the National level. Because where ever you go you are guaranteed that the chapter will be using the principles and goals of Nationals. When you choose a PHC-BGLO based on local chapter, you are limiting your viewpoint. Your viewpoint will be distorted. If the chapter you are interested does a book load of activities, after graduation or you transfer to another chapter. The next chapter may not do half as much. You will be disappointed because you created a delusion that all chapters are like your home chapter. To save yourself disappointment, use the Nationals principles and goals as your source of inspiration. All chapters are not the same, but at least you are guaranteed that all chapters will abide by the principles and standards of the National Chapter.
By Zeta Soror Jacqueline Barbour

Last edited by Strive; 12-22-2002 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

what if?

what if the high school student has considered all of those things and "know" they want to be in a certain org?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It is good that you know who are before you decide to become a part of a sorority. Just remember, to do well in school and keep your grades up in college.

Good Luck in your choice.
Keep in Touch.
zetastrives@yahoo.com
Old 12-23-2002, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

high schoolers

I think it is okay for someone in high school to have an idea of what he/she wants to join. I did. I grew up around greeks so I had a pretty good idea, but I still went into it with an open mind. Here was my case: I went through the high school group of one sorority, got to school and was interested in another sorority, then on closer inspection I changed my mind and joined SGR.

It would be hard not to have already decided if you have family members (mom, dad, sis, brother, cousin, etc..) who are strong in their organization.

I do agree with what Strive said. I'd like to add that if the pan-hellinic chapters (NPHC, NPC, NIC, IFC) at that school do a good job in fairly introducing all greeks to incomming freshmen, then he/she has a better chance of finding the right organization for himself/herself.

Not to get too far off topic, but, my concern is for high school students who are part of greek-like high school groups comming into college thinking it will be the same. There is more respondsibility at the college level than high school level.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Advice, Blue Cousin.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
interesting...

Many will make their choice based on legacy, feelings, and campus impressions. It is a very personal choice of your value system. What do you value in a sorority? For me, a cohesive sisterhood, active in the community, strong in academics, rich in personality, grounded in their heritage, and alwayZ perpetuating Finer Womanhood was what did and still attracted me to Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. The truth is all of these reasons are valid.

Its also true that most 18-22 year old women have NO idea what it means to make a life long comittment to anything. Its simply beyond their natural comprehension, especially if they do not have family members or close associates who have been active members for 20+ years. I have been an active Zeta longer than any relationship I have ever been in...fancy that! And my membership in Zeta is not one I can leave at will. I will be a Zeta until I leave this life here on earth.

Some young women are exposed to the wonderful dynamics of Sorority life prior to entering college and thus make their decision based on that information. I knew a girl in college who was a legacy who never once considered a different organization than her mother's and grand mother's. She was raised to be what she became. Her decision was no less valid than someone who spent hours in the library learning history about all of the D9 or attending 4 different informationals. She had intimate exposure for years which again is valid.

One of my linesisters was a debutante sponsored by another organization. She also had fair exposure/education of the other organization, yet her personal value system and interest when exposed on campus and in the community was in line with Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and thus she made her decision accordingly.

Nowadays, young ladies and gentlemen have the ability to not only learn the history of all the D9 at their fingertips, but they can also interact online with the members and gain cyber-exposure. This has created an interesting cultural shift in not only how interest is created, but also how interest is cultivated.

Last edited by Finer Woman10-A-91; 12-26-2002 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up :)

That was very well put!

Last edited by Terika03; 12-26-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LB1914
I feel that it is our responsibility(Sigmas and Zetas)to make our presence felt. It is shameful that we have nationally-mandated auxiliaries(Sigma Beta Club, Archonettes, Pearlettes, etc.)yet we are letting many teens and future college students slip through the cracks. There is no way students at any given high school should only be involved in other Greeks' programs if there are Sigmas or Zetas on the staff. I also feel that there should be at least one auxiliary group of each in every city that has graduate chapters. A lot of these kids get turned on to ABC or XYZ early on. By the time they get to campus their mind has already been made up because there were influential members of ABC or XYZ in their lives in the past. We need to strike while the iron is hot. It would much easier to cultivate their interest then rather than to try to sway them from other organizations later. There are many cases where students who were once in other Greeks' youth groups went on to go Sigma or Zeta, but unfortunately many former Sigma Betas and Archonettes have fallen by the wayside as well. It is true that there are more research opportunities these days and there are more avenues for interestees to talk to members. However, by the time a lot of these students make it to college they already have one or two organizations in mind(and to keep it real, we are not often one of the two).
Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you LB1914. We need to do more to introduce the younger generation to the world of Zeta or Sigma. There are so many who do not choose Zeta or Sigma because we are not as "popular" as the others. I have some ideas that we can use. I will e-mail them to you by the Friday and post them on the BigPhatlist by Saturday.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
misinformation

The youth auxillaries of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. are not nationally mandated. They are officially recognized. Zetas are certainly glad when our youth affiliates decide to seek interest in Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Its a special experience to see a young girl go through the youth clubs and then become a Soror.

Just as an aside, I do not feel the youth have "slipped through the cracks or fallen by the wayside" if they pursue interest in another organization. You have to do what is best for you. Everyone is not Zeta material.

Last edited by Finer Woman10-A-91; 12-30-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LB1914
Poor Word Choice...

I actually did mean recognized, not mandated. Thanks for pointing that out. All in all, I still feel that more effort should be put in our youth auxiliaries.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

loosing potential members

Quote:
Originally posted by LB1914
A lot of these kids get turned on to ABC or XYZ early on. However, by the time a lot of these students make it to college they already have one or two organizations in mind(and to keep it real, we are not often one of the two).

I think the reason this happens is due to perception. On another forum (A Phi A or AKA) someone mentioned the book "Our Kind of People" by Laurance Graham, which chronicles the rise of the Black elite in this country. There is a whole chapter dedicated to the NPHC greek system and throughout the chapter he mentions that the Black elite feel that there are only two sororites that 'count', and let me tell you, if one of your NPHC sorority's color is blue/royal blue, then that is the one that does 'count'. He quotes a conversation with one of his relatives, an aunt who is an AKA, who does imply that woman is considered acceptable in 'high-society' if she is an AKA or Delta, not a woman from the 'lesser organizations'. Needless to say I was p*ssed.

The book also implies that SGR and ZPB are not sought after because from the 1920's - 1930's their membership did not include alot of influential, well-to-do Black families. And, because we, as a people like all things bougie, gravitate towards groups and events that make us feel materially important.

As it has been mentioned in the SGR forum, it takes a strong woman to go the path less traveled.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: losing potential members

Sigmadiva, I hear you. But, I don't agree. You cannot lose what was never yours to begin. I don't think its fair to imply that most of our sister greeks necessarily chose the path of p&g or r&w simply because of the references Graham made to societal upward mobility. And if they did...well, better them than us. Make no mistake, its not Zeta's loss. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority has her fair share of very affluent members. I digress.

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority was not founded with the notion of being a social club. Just as a point of reference, anyone who is unclear about why or how Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was founded in 1920 on the campus of Howard University please read http://www.zphib1920.org/heritage/

Stereotypes (even the ones that may seem good) are a BAD thing. We do not live in a generalized world. Perpetuating stereotypes and making gross generalizations is even worse. I said it once and I will say it again. Everyone is not Zeta material. And not all need apply.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

True, but it is the PERCEPTION that hooks people, whether it is actually true or not. I've done recruitment, formal and informal, and the young ladies go by what they *think* is true or what they heard. And, since in NPHC we can do a better job of honoring legacies admission into 'their' group, then increasing membership in the other orgs happen. Unfortuantly, the young ladies don't investigate other possibilites. Graham's book is just a 'report' on Black culture based on what people said. Granted, I think his reporting was a little biased. Now, I am about to go off topic, so bear with me.

Actually, it is a loss for all four NPHC sororities because there is no consistent measure to take young ladies. Yes, we all have qualites we look for, but if I recall it was on this forum where someone asked about the largest lines and some of the answers were in the 50's to 100's, which is impressive. Yet, you can not tell me that within those high numbers there were not some less-than- quality people. Sometimes we get so obsessed about numbers that we take people just to say we have 30 or whatever 'on-line'. I don't fully understand the NPC recruitment process, but it seems that each group must meet a quota. From what I've read on GC it is usually in the 20 to 30's. Yes, that system will not fully ensure quality people each year, but it will make that chapter think about who they are taking because if
100 young ladies want in and there are only 25 spots, then the chapter will carefully consider each person. I think if NPHC did something like that then we may not have as much hazing/chapter suspensions/member suspensions problems as we have had in the past.