GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,343
1 members and 1,342 guests
acg233

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzman View Post
Brother,

I'll challenge you to make a slight paradigm shift. Instead of leading with Beer, Babes and Bucks - try leading with all of the attributes a top fraternity offers by way of leadership development and personal growth. What will happen is the best of the best will be attracted to you. From that, the bucks will come from higher manpower. The Babes will beat a path to your door because quality women desire to be with quality men. The Beer is simply a constant on a college campus and within fraternity culture. Everyone knows it's there. You don't need to flaunt it or promote it. Pushing parties only hurts you - it cannot help you. What I mean is, a party-centric recruitment message can scare away top students who become concerned that they will not be able to be high-achievers if the culture is too party oriented. Conversely, the party-only guys will find a home at your fraternity and they may bring little else to your chapter and put you at risk.

Again, if you lead with personal development, the bucks and babes will follow. The beer will always be there.
Nationals are supposed to say this kind of stuff, not actually mean it.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NIU is only about 5% Greek. This reflects poorly on the quality of Greek Life at NIU.
No, that reflects poorly on NIU.
Quote:
Sigma Nu believes there is a market to create a winning organization that will appeal to those who have not been attracted to Greek Life at NIU thus far. We've accomplished that by recruiting 40 new men who would not have joined the Greek System otherwise.
So GDIs?
Quote:
They have posted a 2.91 cumulative GPA as a fraternity vs. the All-Men's average of 2.70. Sigma Nu is the only NIU fraternity of the 15 that is above the All-Men's GPA making them the pre-dominant academic fraternity at NIU.
Woo hoo, I go to a school a lot better than NIU and even the chapters which are thought of as the coke-heads have a better GPA than that. They're outperforming you, at a much better school, on two hours of sleep a night. Really overacheiving there, huh?
Quote:
To be the best, you have to attract the best. This new fraternity is not for average men or underachievers. We seek top students, athletes and leaders to claim the top spot amongst NIU's men's social fraternities.
Mmmhmm, and if you are attracting the best leaders, tell me again why you need a leadership development program? You said it yourself, you're a SOCIAL fraternity.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread has some ridiculous arguments in it...

I think it's safe to say that the truly top-tier chapters are the ones that are doing everything well. They have good grades, their members are involved and leaders on campus, they benefit their community, they have fun, and the girls love them. They are the chapters that are producing our lawyers, doctors, and leading businessmen - not because of some "old boys' network" but because they're taking talent and molding it through brotherhood and high expectations into something better. The best chapters are those that are taking good men to begin with and making them shine.

To say that a great chapter can't have an active social life is ridiculous. But so is saying that national leadership programs aren't beneficial to individuals and chapters alike.

Really, balance is the key and should be what every chapter is striving for. If you get to far to the extreme in any direction, especially at the expense of other achievements, it's a recipe for disaster. Yes, if you're too "party-centric", you're only going to attract those guys who care more about getting drunk than going to class. If you only care about being number one in grades, you're going to get a bunch of nerds and the sororities aren't going to associate with you. But there are plenty of guys out there that want both and so it's up to the chapters to appeal to that ethos if they want to attract those guys.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=90893788

Way to brag about your chapter's 2.9 gpa on your Myspace. I figured with the way you talked it would be higher than that, my chapter is probably around a 2.9 and we actually have cool kids (weird huh?)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Man, you guys are really missing FH, aren't you?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
To say that a great chapter can't have an active social life is ridiculous. But so is saying that national leadership programs aren't beneficial to individuals and chapters alike.
Maybe a Dale Carnegie scholarship or partnership (or something of the like) would be better - so the members who want to pursue that can? Taught by people who do that for a living, rather than fraternity/sorority officials who have other stuff to do?

I was thinking as I read this thread, if every member in a chapter is a "leader" you're going to have a lot of head-butting and ego clashes. Lots of people think the Beatles broke up because they were all too strong-minded of individuals - they all wanted to have the spotlight. You can't have a group where everyone is like that and expect to get things done. You will have the guys who are Mr. Everything, but you also need to have the guy who never holds an office but is always THERE for companionship, support, etc.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post

Way to brag about your chapter's 2.9 gpa on your Myspace. I figured with the way you talked it would be higher than that, my chapter is probably around a 2.9 and we actually have cool kids (weird huh?)
Our chapter average is a 3.2 and we are a purely social organization. No "training", no academic programs, nothing. And yeah, we actually have cool kids too.

Hell, I go out every night of the week and have a 3.7. And I hate nationals. But according to his logic my house is full of lazy drunks, who are falling behind the times and setting themselves up to fail in school and life.

It's almost like you're wrong, Kedzman.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Man, you guys are really missing FH, aren't you?
Most have Old Row still...but I quit Old Row a year ago or so, so I have nowhere to e-frat but GreekChat.

Bringing up a GDISpace in a thread is classic OR/FH stuff. CB's comment about cokehead fraternities making better grades on two hours of sleep was epic.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-27-2008, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Kedzman, I have talked to HQ alot this past year and to be honest they have alot of great advice and knowledge to help out chapters. But I believe that the other Greekchatters present a valid argument as well. Every school is different and I think that saying that one approach works for every university is a stretch. And that also goes with people, you cannot tell a person that non-hazing works for everyone, we all grow up in different lives and maybe hazing works for others. I believe someone said in an earlier comment that the army hazes, and you know it works for them to pump out fighting machines. But all in all I think that life does not have a certain equation for every situation otherwise it would be boring. And also my favorite saying is ALMOST everything in moderation, but for me personally moderation for drugs and hazing is zero usage, and a note to leave on is, I think that we can all learn a little bit from each other and if you cannot learn to see from another person's point of view then you are just ignorant.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post

It's almost like you're wrong, Kedzman.
No way, he can't be wrong, he's too smart to be wrong, and Sigma Nu Nationals said so!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Ummmm, 2.9 blows, my chapter is full of people who don't go to class and stay out acting like degenerates till all hours of the morning and still manages to have a waay better GPA...and I am not at some shit directional school in the middle of some flyover state.

As far as following the party line of nationals, to each his own, but to say that we all joined a SOCIAL fraternity for the wrong reasons because we wanted to do SOCIAL things is retarded. In fact, in the original minutes of my fraternity's first few meetings, one of the founders was recorded requesting cigars and brandy to be purchased out of the budget...and thats the only thing we have documentation of him saying at a meeting...ever.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post

deleted already.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
deleted already.
Come on Kedzman, be a sport. It's not like getting outed is going to limit you to lower-tier, boring houses during rush. You apparently did that on your own.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
Come on Kedzman, be a sport. It's not like getting outed is going to limit you to lower-tier, boring houses during rush. You apparently did that on your own.
Proves his embarrassment.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Sarah, formal recruitment was this past weekend? Am I reading that right?

Just curious, because the middle of June seems an odd time for formal recruitment.
Yep, formal recruitment is in June for the boys. I guess the idea behind this is that new members will know which house (if any) they'll be in early on. That way they have time to cancel a contract with the dorms when they get a bid or find housing if recruitment didn't work out.

My understanding is that fraternities are a lot more open to informal rush than sororities. It's a hassle for a lot of people to travel to Lawrence for a few days during recruitment and then make a second trip out for orientation (which also lasts two or three days). I imagine it's tough for many of the houses to make quota with formal.