GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,201
1 members and 1,200 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Snap Bids?

Are snap bids a pretty common thing at the larger, more competitive schools?
Can someone explain how they work in a recruitment process that the PNM's don't rank the sororities? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Snap bids can be extended when a chapter does not meet quota through regular bid matching. I am not sure, but I think they also can be extended if a chapter meets quota but is still under campus total. However, not to be confused with open bids, snap bids are extended immediately after bid match. A member of the chapter (new member educator typically) contacts the PNM directly to ask if she would like to join the new member class. Because the snap is picked up within hours of bid match, usually the other new members are not aware that the snapped girl did not receive a matched bid. Anyway, a PNM is not eligible for snap bids if she has suicided or otherwise minimized her options during recruitment. Usually snaps occur when a PNM is cross-cut and a chapter that had been interested has a space or two open after bid match. I know there are GCers who are a lot more Green book knowledgeable than me, who will have more specific information.

As far as how common snaps are at competitive schools - I would say it is more common certainly than COR/COB. No one really knows how common snaps are because typically the only ones who know about it are ones who aren't going to discuss it. The new member doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that she was not a matched bid and the chapter does not want to draw attention to the fact that they missed quota. Panhellenic would know, of course.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
Snap bids are exactly how you described them, Irishpipes. I don't go to a very large school (and, therefore, we don't have a very large Greek system) and my organization often snaps girls in. In fact, most organizations at my school snap girls because none of the chapters (local and national) are at quota. So even if we get the new member quota, everyone can snap up until they reach the school quota. That, however, does not mean that all those PNM's will accept the snap bid.

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaade124
Snap bids are exactly how you described them, Irishpipes. I don't go to a very large school (and, therefore, we don't have a very large Greek system) and my organization often snaps girls in. In fact, most organizations at my school snap girls because none of the chapters (local and national) are at quota. So even if we get the new member quota, everyone can snap up until they reach the school quota. That, however, does not mean that all those PNM's will accept the snap bid.
You're confusing quota and total.

Quota is the number of girls rushing divided by number of sororities. This should never vary - example, if you have 50 girls rushing and 10 sororities, you shouldn't make quota 7 girls. It would be 5 girls.

Total (what you refer to as the "school quota") is the number set by Panhellenic as an optimum size for each sorority.

If no one is at total and hasn't been for years, consider lowering it by 5 or so girls.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's what the "Green Book" says about snap bidding

<Start Quote>
Snap Bidding
Snap Bidding is an option available to chapters which did not fill formal membership recruitment Quota spaces in bid-matching, whether matching by hand or by computer. Snap Bidding is not intended to fill spaces in the chapter Total. Snap Bidding is limited to any woman who participated in the designated formal membership recruitment.

Snap Bidding should be under the direction of the Collegel Panhellenic Membership Recruitment Committee, working with the chapters who have Quota vacancies. A signed Membership Recruitment Acceptance shall be filed with the College Panhellenic before a woman who has accepted a Snap Bid may be pledged. Snap Bidding shall begin immediately after bid matching and end with the distribution of bids, at which time Continuous Open Bidding shall begin.
<End Quote>

My understanding is that while a women who intentionally single preferences (SIP) is not eligible for quota addition, she is eligible to receive a snap bid. Although this begs the question of "she will accept it?" ... if she was so set on one chapter that she SIP'ed, she probably won't accept a snap bid from another chapter.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
33girl, thank you for clearing that up for me i meant total but was saying quota. lol. we'd like to lower it but there are other orgs that are closer to total and are fighting to have it RAISED! i swear...these people. and the director of greek life doesn't really give two craps about us. things are kinda messed up in our greek system because its not really a big part of the school, unfortunately.

there was also a group of girls at our school that hadn't gotten into any other sororities and were trying to bring in a new sorority. they even went straight to the president of the school! but panhel denied it because we obviously can't expand if the exisiting organizations can't even make total. erh...sorry for the tangent lol.

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Not gonna lie, I was a snap bid. Long story, but I'm kind of proud of being a snap! Most snap bids don't like to say that's how they got in, though.

There's a few ways you could be extended a snap bid:
1. You went through formal recruitment, but didn't sign a pref card with two top choices. This is what happened to me; luckily, the chapter that accidentally dropped me at the start of the week via computer snafu snapped me on bid day.
2. You dropped out of recruitment altogether at one point in time.
3. You didn't go through formal recruitment at all, but someone in the chapter thinks you'd make a great sister.
4. You went through formal recruitment, but were cut during the week and didn't receive a bid.

Honestly, it's more common than any chapter wants to admit. Even the "big chapters" do it from time to time--sometimes girls don't show up to Bid Day or they flat-out deny the bid somehow and there are spots open.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef the Pef
Not gonna lie, I was a snap bid. Long story, but I'm kind of proud of being a snap! Most snap bids don't like to say that's how they got in, though.

There's a few ways you could be extended a snap bid:
1. You went through formal recruitment, but didn't sign a pref card with two top choices. This is what happened to me; luckily, the chapter that accidentally dropped me at the start of the week via computer snafu snapped me on bid day.
2. You dropped out of recruitment altogether at one point in time.
3. You didn't go through formal recruitment at all, but someone in the chapter thinks you'd make a great sister.
4. You went through formal recruitment, but were cut during the week and didn't receive a bid.

Honestly, it's more common than any chapter wants to admit. Even the "big chapters" do it from time to time--sometimes girls don't show up to Bid Day or they flat-out deny the bid somehow and there are spots open.
I don't think they can snap someone who didn't go through formal recruitment, or someone who dropped out (unless they dropped out because they had no invitations.) They may extend them a bid, but I don't think technically it is a snap.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

You are confusing the terms. Snap Bids and Quota Additions are done prior to the bids being extended at the end of formal recruitment. If a chapter extends a bid after formal recruitment ends (with the distribution of bids to the PNMs), that is considered COB. Snap Bids go to chapters that did not make quota in bid matching. Quota Additions are given to chapters that did make quota in bid matching. Both of these processes take place prior to bids being extended. A Quota Addition pnm will never know that she was placed at her chapter as a Quota Addition. A Snap Bid pnm will know because she will be contacted, usually by the collegiate panhellenic, but sometimes by the chapter itself. The chapter contacting her is someone who she did not list on her pref card. Someone who "suicides," is not eligible to be a Quota Addition but is eligible to be Snapped. Hope this helps!