GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086

Old 10-12-2000, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to REALITYBLACK
Smile

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your prayers and encouragement through my ordeal. I have temporarily returned to work. I will be leaving permanetly at the end of this month. Some of you may be wondering why I posted my thanks here. Well let me tell you it is because it eludes one of my many reasons for wanting to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta.
When I requested prayers and responses following the robbery at work, I received nothing but positive feedback. It is this type of feedback that simply reaffirms my desire to be a lady of DST. I am not going to lie and say that I have had nothing but positive experiences with members of DST because that is not true. However, I can say that with every experience, when all was said and done I walked away a person changed for the better. I believe that this is a stronger incentive for me then any program could ever be. I have had knowledge of DSt since elementary school. All of my best, and favorite teachers were Deltas. Our principle was a Delta. When I enrolled in college, the first organization ON THE ENTIRE CAMPUS that I saw doing something positive were the Deltas. The first step show that I saw with Deltas in it really impressed me. The ladies stressed that they would not be doing anything vulgar, cursing, or downing anther sorority or fraternity because it was..to sum it up.. beneath them and not the type of behavior that should be displayed. That really impressed me. There was a show at school where Deltas were stepping and one of them fell down. Everyone was laughing at her but she got back up and finished the show with her head held up high as if nothing ever happened. That impressed me. From there I began my research. By this time I was at another school. I spent HOURS in the computer lab looking at web sites. I attended just about every function that the chapter at my school held or participated in. I talked to the members after the functions and found out alot of information . I was still hungry. I wanted to see these ladies in action. I watched them around campus. I saw the way they carried themselves. I was impressed. All the while I researched other organizations but none had the same effect on me. Finally, I gathered the nerve to purchase "In Search of Sisterhood" following the advice of the chapters vice-president. The first time I tried to read it, I was bored to tears. I put it down. Some of you may be a little taken back by my statement but it's the truth. Later on I did decide to try it again. Not only did I read it but I took notes. The history of the organization really impressed me. It takes guts to walk away from the familiar despite oposition into the unkonwn in search of something greater. Throughout the book I saw how Delta has always been an organzation in the forefront of whatever social movement was going on. She will not take no for an answer. She never makes excuses she makes a change.
I attended an open house at my old school, met some past chapter members and even a chapter founder. They all stood up and spoke about what Delta meant to them. By the time everyone had finished, I was in tears. I was moved. From that day on I molded myself to being the kind of woman that I thought an aspiring member of DST should be. I chagned what I did, who I hung around, and where I went. Volunteering was nothing new to me. I had been doing that since highschool, so I continued as usual. The examples of womanhood, sisterhood, responsiblity, accountability for ones actions, determination, courage, and many many more things were what did and still inspires be to be a member. Right now I feel that though I have come a long way. I have the most solid g.p.a. I have ever have I do less but more meaningful service. I treat others as I want to be treated. I try to help other when I can. I try to be a person that leads by example not hides behind words. However, I still have some growing to do. I only hope that when I finally feel that I am ready and my opprotunity presents itself that I am ready.

------------------
MAKE A DIFFERENCE..NOT AN EXCUSE
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2000, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That's what I was thinking, too. Hopefully it really got some people to thinking!

------------------
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Pi Kappa, SP97
#3 of QUINTESSENCE
Old 10-17-2000, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

There isn't a legacy of Deltas in my family, so in a sense, I had to start from scratch, researching the history and foundings of Delta Sigma Theta. I remember from what I read from the411's posting and she said that if the reason does not come to you with ease, there may still be some soul searching and research that you will have to do. I read these posting about 3 days ago and I thought that I was able then to answer, but I knew that I wasn't ready, but now I am ready to answer with ease.

To be honest, when I first saw a step show, the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta looked so beautiful. When they were stepping, they were not like other organizations that made fun of other organizations, they were on that stage stepping to show the audience what they can do and what they stand for which is unity. From that show, I became very interested in joining. But I started to realize, that it is not all about stepping, wearing the letters and colors, or doing the calls, secret hand shakes, etc. There is more to Delta than meets the eye.

What really attracted me to Delta is the major role that they play in the community. Delta has earned the respect of the community on a local and national basis as an organization that is committed to service. Through the Five Point Thrust Program, Delta reaches out to the community on social, health and political issues that plagues today's society. Throughout the history of Delta's existence, they have been dedicated to their programs and uplifting the African American community. I would love to be a part of that history and continue the service to the community.

Another aspect of Delta that really attracted me were the women that makes up Delta. A good frien told me that you should not join a sorority for what it can do for you, but what you can do for it. Throughout my research, I found that all of its members throughout the decades exemplified the traits that their founders possessed. They all wanted to service the community to make it a better place and also, they are all successful black women. Entrepreneurs, politicians, singers, writers, teachers, and leaders in the community are what makes up Delta Sigma Theta. From all this and the positive feedback that Delta gets back from the community, I now know that Delta is the only sorority that I would want to be a part of.
Old 10-23-2000, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lady2000 Send a message via Yahoo to Lady2000
Talking

I am a new member to a forum such as this but when I saw the topic I felt I have to respond.

My interest in Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated started when I was a young girl. My sister(who is not a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc) would go to college and tell me of all of the things these ladies would do on her campus and in her community. At that time I did not even know what a sorority did and who they did it for. As I grew older I began to notice their impact in my community and on me. I can remember in school when there was not a year that passed from seventh grade to graduation that I did not have a teacher who was also a member of your sorority. I feel as though they had a hand in making me the person I am today. Till this day I still keep in contact with them and I still love them with all of my heart.

I never thought that I had women in my family who were apart of Delta Sigma Theta, but when I came home for a break I found out that some of those very people who would take care of me when I was younger and even now that I am older,those who nurtured me and made sure that I had every thing I needed are also members of Delta Sigma Theta sorority Inc.

Aside from that I started doing research of all the sororities and I found that Delta Sigma Theta's history blew me away. Literally after I read the book I was speechless on the subject for days. I never knew how much hard work was put in to start and maintain this sorority. I never could imagine the trials and tribulations of Delta Sigma Theta. I spent many months of prayer and I came to the conclusion that a sorority who embraces it past and plans for its future, who is DEDICATED to the community, and who does not settle is the sorority that I pray to one day become apart of.

Sorry the post was so long, I just wanted you to know what was in my heart.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

For me I can't say that I had an initial interest in Delta Sigma Theta because of a relative's involvement in the organization or in Greek life in general. I am the first college graduate in my family and I'm 26. But my mom did have a lot of friends and co-workers who are members of both Delta Sigma Theta and AKA . The Delta women would always leave good impressions on me every time we saw one another. They were always very professional, kind and caring women. I was impressed. My first year of college I saw about 50 women, in some sort of coming out show (to this day I still don't know what the purpose of this event was, anywho), all members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. I guess we can say it was a mixture of the impression left on me by my moms friends and the mass of women all representing DST on campus that sparked my interest. I did some research after this amazing event, about 4-5 years worth. I knew my grades weren't good enough to join a sorority so I didn't rush it…if it is meant to be it will be. As the years went by and my grades approved I've met members of many different organizations, but still I was always most impressed by the professionalism exemplified by the women of Delta Sigma Theta. So I still wait.. but I still do my research. I know that I would be even more of an asset now to DST than I could have been during my undergrad years. Delta appeals to me because of the strong goals she has set for herself in her 5 point programmatic thrust. If I've learned nothing, I've learned the importance of planning and goals! I am also impressed with Delta’s, Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy. As a junior/high school student I didn't have the opportunity, or the resources, to join an organization such as Delta Academy. The Alumnae members in my community have a Delta Academy and it is inspiring to see these women from all over the world come to my community (where I was born and raised) and do work with the kids here. It has been the exposure I have gotten from seeing the members of Delta Sigma Theta working in my community that has assured me that my choosing to pursue interest in DST is the right decision.. Plus my mom tells me so and I trust her judgement
Old 02-08-2001, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Old, but new. Well I know that im late, but better late than never. When I was in high school, there was this organization called the LADIES OF DELTA. The founder was an active member of DST. I didn’t know what I delta was or what a sorority was, all I knew was that they were the bomb when it came to the step shows. So I figured that I wanted to step, so I wanted to join the group. But at the time, I felt that pledging and putting yourself through all that just to join a group was dumb. I decided to go on with it anyways because I just wanted to see what it was about. While going on with this process, I found out what sisterhood was really about. This organization wasn’t just about stepping, but also about helping the community and giving and learning to truly "care" for your sister. So as time progressed, I did some research on DST, and the more research I did, the more appealing it became to me. Here you have a group of ladies, not only dedicated to their organization, but also dedicated to their sisters and to their community. These ladies were not only leaders of today, but they will be the leaders of our future. When you are young, community service and other activities are "for the birds". But when you learn and understand why you are doing it and whom you are doing it for, it really means something, and DST really means something to me. Unfortunately I was not able to join Ladies of Delta because it conflicted with basketball and other activities I was doing at the time, but I truly know what a REAL woman is. She is a DST.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well lets see.
In 1st grade I was sitting at my desk when my favorite teacher walked by with a red shirt on. Well being the curious child I was, I asked her why she had a shirt on that said AEO.*sorry ladies but I was young* She pulled me to the side and said this is not an A E or an O. When you get a little bit older, I will express to you the letters and meaning on this shirt. Well as time grew on,(3rd) my teacher and her friends ,who also had the same kind of strange symbols with them at all times, came into the classroom and sai that they needed people to help them in a homeless project. Well I raised my hand. I didn't care what type of project it was because these ladies and my teacher were ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ANYONE. When students didn't understand their work, they were willing to stay after school off the clock to help in any form or fashion. When students didn't have a ride home, they took people home and never made a complaint. The only time I had ever seen these ladies mad was when another teacher did that strange noise that they always do when they saw each other. Well anyway I went with these ladies and we stayed at a homeless sheltor all day feeding people, taking up money outside and other things.
Once again I was touched how wonderful and caring these ladies were. They have ALWAYS ALWAYS lended a helping hand, no matter what it was. They were never to busy to smile and say have a nice day,hug you when you were feeling down, or just listen to a childs problem. Right then I knew that no matter what those strange letters said on their shirt one day I wanted to be apart of that. As I approached my sixth grade year, I was still helping these ladies in anyway. I would often go by their house where we would bake cookies for a bake sell where they would donate the money to a children's hospital. Finally, the day came when it was just I and my teacher. Mrs Z i asked her, what does those letters mean that you treasure so much. And why do you always where them whenever we go. Monique(and I quote) Those letters mean more to me more than you'll ever know. They represent courage, strength, honesty, and commentment. They mean that I took a vow to honor and always serve man kind. That is what those letters mean. I will always speak my mind, never pass judgement on someone but to know that I am only human, therefore I to make mistakes. This is why I wear those letters on my shirt. I am not going to tell you what those letters mean, you are old enough now to go out and do some research. and when you find out the meaning of these words, be sure to tell me and my friends. Well ladies, thats just what I did. And I can say proudly that in the 7th grade, I reported to my teacher and her friends that I know what the meaning of everthing she said to me. There was only one explanation Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. My teacher looked at me and said, you are correct. I have never felt so proud in my life.

This is why i want to be a member of DST. I know that I can offer my services and undying loyalty. Sorry its so long but everytime I think about my teacher and our friends, I get happy because if it wasn't for her, I would Not be the Person I am today. Bye

Old 02-09-2001, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Lawd, not the AEO! I still hear that today, mostly from men. ROFL!!
Old 02-10-2001, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

When I first went to college, I had no clue of what a sorority was really about. My only knowledge had come from what I had seen on TV. Then, after I decided I was interested in joining a sorority, I researched what I could find from websites, magazines articles, newspaper articles,etc. Then I saw a website about DST. I had heard about DST from some of the other DST hopefuls.
After I began to look at individual sites, it was suggested that prospectives read the book "In Search of Sisterhood." After I read that book and made it a point to look at the websites for more information like notable DST's and national programs. I was impressed by things like DST's role in helping the Black Community and the 5 point thrust. I was convinced that if I ever joined a sorority, it would have to be DST.
Like one of the posts mentioned before, I also have been blessed to have known some very outgoing,active, kind and caring women for years and never knew the importance of those three letters or the elephants on their shirts. Now, after reading as much as I possibly can about DST, I see why they chose DST and why DST is the largest BGLO in the world.
Old 02-20-2001, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello
I am new to the forum and after reading all of these replies, I decided I wanted to share my reasons for wanted to become a part of such an illustrious organization of women.

I grew up in a predominately white town, where all of the black people didn't do anything with their lives. Even though i didn't know it then we were poor, my mother did an excellent job of providing for my brothers and sisters and I ( nine altogether). So the only successful black people I was meeting were my older brothers and sisters. I had no idea what a sorority was, I had never even heard of them. Until my 11th grade year one of my older sisters became a Delta. That year she invited me to come visit her, and spend some time with her, that was my first encounter with the dynamic ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. I spent a week at her school. I saw all of the work they did around their school and community, how they were in every aspect of campus life, the grades they recieved, and lastly how professional they were. When seeing all of these proud black women together, my interest for Delta soared and it still is. I have researched all of the 4 sororities but my heart stays with Delta.
Well there you have it.
Peace
the Royal One
Old 02-21-2001, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

My decision for wanting to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was one which I put a lot of thought into. I have decided to pursue your organization because it is the only one that I could see myself supporting for the rest of my life.

I have known a few people to join a BGLO for the wrong reason and eventually become inactive This is something that I would never do and it was for this reason that I extensively researched Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta, and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority.

As an aspiring attorney and potential politician, your organization's involvement in politics from it's very beginning (Women's Suffrage March), to the Civil Rights Movement (numerous members on U.S. President's Task Forces), to the present (Delta Day's in D.C.) is most appealing.

Of Course, one cannot mention politics and law without making note of volunteerinsm- another way to give back to the community. Volunteering has been a hobby of mine since high school and I find it to be most rewarding. On my campus it brings a wide variety of people together and in a way,when we're helping others,the group of us are helping ourselves

In addition to your organization's past, the future appears even brighter with the growth of African American women (esp. Deltas) heading higher education insitituions, corporate offices, and world politics

Yes...it is quite true that there is greatness in all of the "Divine Nine", but for this "one", Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. would provide the best opportunity for me to give to my community I know it's a tad corney, but you get me...right?)

------------------
"Education is your passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." -- El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz
Old 02-21-2001, 02:04 AM

What has set DST apart from all others? For me it has to be the very simple fact that the Deltas in my area have made themselves very visible to me in my community. They introduced themselves as FRIENDS before they introduced me to the organization and it's history. Of course I had always noticed their letters and the distinct colors of the sorority, but not until much later in high school and early in college did I begin to realize that there was more to DST. I'm not a legacy, and many of my friends are not even interested in sorority life, but just through sheer observation, contact and conversation with Delta women in the past, has placed the desire of becoming a member in my heart.

peace, protection, love, and light always from the CHI!
~*Kyna*~
Old 02-22-2001, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Talk about not having the nerve to post a reply to this one.... I don't know how I am going to get this done, but done it must be.

I entered college already having decided what I wanted to be. The decision was made once I realized who I had around me. In high school I was surrounded by Delta Women. There were women of other sororities there but none took the same kind of interest and none were able to get me to be the best me that I could be except them. Also in my senior year of high school, I was invited to the senior girls reception held by the alumni chapter... that was an experience that rendered me spellbound. To see the other women in my community that were members of your sorority - women that I knew and had seen make an impact. I knew then that I wanted to become a member of this sorority.

It may not work as a good reason for some, but those ladies meant a lot to me... and still do.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Any more thoughts?
Old 04-20-2001, 12:34 AM
dee_style1

Okay, I have been watching this topic for months and I haven't posted on the matter yet; I always feel that I don't have the time to write a book on WHY I WANT TO BE DELTA!! or I'm usually in a public place and I don't want to cry while I'm sitting in my school's computer lab (yes, when I think about why I want this so bad, I tear up). This post could NEVER do justice to my reasons for desiring Delta, but here goes!

My freshman year in high school I was on a step team. We were so good, that we were invited to attend the national competetion "STOMP" where we performed for the competeting teams. We spent time with some of the sororities. Some were snotty and even voiced there dislike for the other sororities. But the ones who sparked my interest were the ones who wore that red and white (I was ingnorant to whole sorority thing, so I did not know the real colors) (and not because they won the step competition; that did not amase me, hell I can step too!!).

When I returned home from LA, I went on about my business. That summer, I was at Bible Study and I saw this woman who I thought was real cool; she was really down to earth and she and I had had several conversations about life in general. Guess what...she had on a hat with the DST symbols on it. So I told her that I was interested in that sorority. She and I got closer and she enventualy invited me to be a Del-Teen with her Alumnae chapter. She taught me so much. I always say that what ever my mamma did not tell me, Jackie told me and more. Knowing her has shaped the way I deal with people, the way I serve and why I serve my community. The programs that the Del-Teen program provided showed me how Deltas handle their business and why it is important to do just that. One time when we were in a meeting, some of the Del-Teens brought up how the Archenetts (sp) (a Zeta auxillary group) were always having parties, and they wanted to know how come we could not have any parties. Boy, did we GET IT!! The Educational Developement Committee sponsors told us that we are not here for that. If you want to party, you can go else where!! We are here to SERVE, learn, and grow as young women.

Shoot...I knew that I had something to contribute to this organization one day in my future. I continued to be active in the program throughout my high school career. I researched all the organizations (while in highschool, and I did not use the internet!!) I had read "In Search of Sisterhood" twice by the time I graduated. Anything I could get my hands on about DST, I sucked it up.

The first thing I fell in love with was the way that this sorority began. WOW!! They wanted to give more; that struck something within me. There I was, about 14 years young and I was involed in my community. I felt like I could relate to her principles; I was comfortable. All I knew was that what ever I did in my life, I was going to make a difference in the lives of people; and that is what the founders of DST wanted to do and did. I love that they took a stand from the inception of the organization and they marched against all adversity. As I compared Delta to the other 3, I noticed that the executives don't have the fancy titles; that also sets the organization apart for me because it shows that the title is not important, its the job that is done (at least thats how I take it) Its a small factor, but it contributes to my overall out look on DST. I loved that so many women had come together based on the principles to better themselves and their community, particularly Black women. I was/am in LOVE. These are just some of my reasons; I'm trying to keep this short (ha, ha, ha)

Knowing what I knew about DST, and having Jackie as a role model (and the perfect Delta in my eyes), I knew that I had to be one of those women. I knew that I had to be a Delta because I needed to touch the lives of others and belonging to such a group would present many more avenues for me to do that. I knew that I wanted to contribute to this wonderful organization and just let Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Inc use me; I wanted/want to be a vessel.

Now that I am in college, I have the opportunity to pursue membership into the organization that I have dreamed, drooled, and desired for. I STILL can't sleep, can't think about anything else (when I got Delta on the brain), barley eat (I ain't missin' no meals); I'm passionate about making a difference, thus I'm passionate about Delta. I love people, I want to be around people, and I want to help people...mostly my people. I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about how I can contribute to the growth of the organzation on any level. Sometimes I stay awake for hours (4 hours at a time is the record) thinking about DST, jotting down ideas and things of that sort. Its overwelming. Sometimes I think I want this too much; whats wrong with me. A seed has been planted and its fruit about to burst through the dirt; I just can't contain it...its like FIRE!! Y'all this is real; can a get an AMEN!!

I gotta go before I start runnin'

I'm out!

Dee