GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,350
3 members and 1,347 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-06-2018, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am shocked at the poor comprehension of the writer of that article, who claims that

"the campus’s Kappa Alpha Theta chapter last week announced that it would become gender-neutral."

Kappa Alpha Theta in no way ever announced that any chapter would become gender neutral. The girls chose to return their charter and disaffiliate with Kappa Alpha Theta. They had no choice.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am shocked at the poor comprehension of the writer of that article, who claims that

"the campus’s Kappa Alpha Theta chapter last week announced that it would become gender-neutral."

Kappa Alpha Theta in no way ever announced that any chapter would become gender neutral. The girls chose to return their charter and disaffiliate with Kappa Alpha Theta. They had no choice.
And yet didn't do anything to really sever the history. Theta's Zeta Xi chapter became Theta Zeta Xi...
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think it is completely disingenuous to view this as anything other than imposing punishments that led to the chapter closing. And CLOSING is exactly what happened. Just because the same group of girls start a new type of co-ed organization does not mean that the Theta chapter is just reorganizing or becoming a different kind of GLO. It is GONE.

They can call it whatever the hell they want. The plain truth is that Harvard drove the established Greek system out of Harvard, so that the students have no one to oversee or answer to other than Harvard.
That article - as well as the recent Teen Vogue article applauding Theta’s first gender neutral article- are so full of misinformation it’s not even funny. Especially when Theta’s nationals released a statement saying they fought the administration until the end and will continue to champion sororities as important womens organizations.

The unfortunate thing is that none of this is about Harvard’s Greek system. It’s about the administration’s hatred of the elite men’s finals clubs and the only way to shut those down was to pass this assenine policy to eliminate all single-sex organizations. The Greeks are just collateral damage in a decades long fight.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
And yet didn't do anything to really sever the history. Theta's Zeta Xi chapter became Theta Zeta Xi...
And why should they? I don't see your point.

Further, for what it's worth, naraht, those Harvard Thetas are my sisters. They, to the best of my knowledge, have all attained alumnae status. I've read nothing to indicate otherwise. They did not resign their memberships. They have a history that deserves to be preserved.

This chapter closure was not the result of a disciplinary action by the Fraternity.

The relinquishing of the charter is painful for everyone involved. Further, I suspect my Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma Panhellenic sisters are experiencing similar feelings about the untenable situation which was thrust upon us. Make no mistake; the Harvard Theta women are not outcasts from the bonds which joined us through our shared initiation and ritual. To me, it was an impossible situation and there's nothing else to say or do. It's done. Stick a fork in it, and move on.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Considering how many times even chapters who part contentiously with their national still retain some connection to the old GLO or chapter name, I wouldn’t understand why on earth a chapter that was by all accounts on good terms with HQ and composed of exemplary sisters (and only took this action because they were flat out blackmailed by the host institution) WOULDN’T want to keep their name as close to the group they were forced to part with as they could.

Obviously the groups are probably still going to be referred to colloquially by students (at least for a while) as Kappa, DG and Theta, regardless of what they rename themselves, the same as we never stopped calling Prince Prince. But that is an entirely different matter.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Those same writers wrote a previous article and very clearly stated that the members of the Theta chapter were closing it and forming a new gender neutral group - not that there would be a gender neutral Theta chapter - so I’m going to chalk this mistake up to a dolt of an editor.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-07-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How do you "sever history"? History IS what it IS.

You cannot go back in time and change history. You can ignore history, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can wipe out the memory of historical events, but that doesn't change what occurred.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How do you "sever history"? History IS what it IS.

You cannot go back in time and change history. You can ignore history, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. You can wipe out the memory of historical events, but that doesn't change what occurred.
True, but some of the changes were a little bit *less* obvious than others.

I think I'm oversensitive here because I've worked with documenting fraternities and sororities in the Philippines and most of them are not only open about where their greek letters come from, they deliberately point it out (So for example, the large Fraternity/Sorority combination of Tau Gamma Phi and Tau Gamma Sigma stand for Triskelion Grand Fraternity and Triskelion Grand Sorority and their primary symbol is the Triskelion. (Think of a Swastika with only 3 arms)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...ches-new-club/
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
So this leaves Alpha Phi, the last of the four sororities to charter and now—the last one left. It seems pointless to stay; but I guess you can have a Panhel with just one group. But when recruitment begins...and I can’t imagine many women will now be interested—will they have to bid EVERY WOMAN who goes through recruitment? It will be interesting to see.

Campuses that only have one NPC don't do a formal recruitment. They do informal recruitment only. Some campuses with 2 and 3 NPC chapters also do all informal recruitment. It's a different animal. They only take who they want. No quota, no chapter total. Usually they set goals for themselves.

Quote:
They can call it whatever the hell they want. The plain truth is that Harvard drove the established Greek system out of Harvard, so that the students have no one to oversee or answer to other than Harvard.
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Every time I read another article about this, I want to be sick. This line really gets me:

KP will also have to appoint an official to liaise between the group and the College and will need to adopt required trainings around topics including sexual assault prevention.

So an organization that force to allow men into then has to train the men they were forced to allow in how not to rape? I'd love to write that sex assault prevention program. It would look like this:

1. Do not rape anybody or touch them against their will.

Period. End of training.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:09 PM

Sexual assault is not just men assaulting women.

I’m also guessing that the training spoken of is something all social organizations have to do and isn’t necessarily about preventing sexual assault among the members of the group, but preventing it in general. The article isn’t too clear, but I would think if they have to take a course about not assaulting each other, the story would come right out and say it - that’s a way juicier story.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Here is an article published in today's New York Times about Delta Gamma closing.

According to the article, Theta is not so much closing entirely as becoming gender-neutral - I'm guessing something similar to Kappa and Fleur-de-Lis? Of course, as a gender-neutral group, they could not continue to operate as a Theta chapter.
Kappa DID close at Harvard. There is no longer a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Harvard. Fleur-de-Lis is not Kappa. The Kappa sisters became alums and the chapter was closed.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
Kappa DID close at Harvard. There is no longer a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Harvard. Fleur-de-Lis is not Kappa. The Kappa sisters became alums and the chapter was closed.
While there is no longer a chapter of Kappa at Harvard, the sisters formed a new group, Fleur-de-Lis. That's what I mean when I say "becoming" - the chapter relinquished its charter, but the members of that chapter formed something new. I NEVER said Fleur-de-Lis was Kappa! New members of Fleur-de-Lis will obviously not be Kappas.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

And now Alpha Phi is gone...
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...pha-phi-co-ed/

Last edited by GreekOne; 08-20-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell me if I am wrong? F**K Harvard!

Their self importance is becoming underwhelming!

I think the whole Greek Community should put out notices, "Is Harvard That Important outside of their egos'?

They mean 0 to me! Over priced being one classification!

Many Schools actually better over all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni