GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,318
1 members and 2,317 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lehigh Puts Delta Gamma on "Disciplinary Deferred Dissolution"

Delta Gamma's chapter at Lehigh is on something called “Disciplinary Deferred Dissolution.” The chapter was charged with hazing, providing alcohol to minors, etc. The sanctions sound pretty serious.

http://media.www.thebrownandwhite.co...-3981532.shtml

Excerpts:

The Lehigh chapter of Delta Gamma sorority has been placed on Disciplinary Deferred Dissolution through December 2011 after facing charges for violating the University Code of Conduct last Monday.

According to a letter from Tim Wilkinson, director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, to the new members of the sorority, the charges are a result of events that took place on Jan. 18, involving both existing and new members of DG. The charges were for hazing, providing alcohol to minors and failure to comply with a university official . . . .

The sorority will also be a substance-free living environment through Dec. 31, 2012, and will be placed on Disciplinary Probation from Jan. 1, 2012 through May 31, 2013.

DG will also be unable to accept a new member class for the spring 2011, and current new members will not be permitted to join the sorority until fall 2011. However, new members will be able to live in DG's house on the Hill during the fall semester if they choose to continue with their new member education.

Another sanction stated that all existing members of DG will undergo a new member program, similar to what new members will participate in during the fall 2011 semester, throughout this semester. . . .

Although the previous no-contact order has been lifted, new members of DG cannot participate in events as an entire new member class.

All current members of the sorority will be meeting with Wilkinson to discuss an explicit list of what the women are permitted and not permitted to do. He has also met with new members twice to discuss what their involvement in the sorority will be over the course of this semester and what will happen with new member education in the fall. Wilkinson also expressed . . . that if new members wished to withdraw from DG's new member program, OFSA would work with Delta Gamma Headquarters and the National Panhellenic Conference to remove obligations to DG so they can re-enter the recruitment process next year. . . .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
The sorority will also be a substance-free living environment through Dec. 31, 2012
Um duh???

Unless they're going to have someone up their asses 24/7, I honestly think this sounds far worse than it is...the school emitting a lot of bluster to make them look Tough On Crime. So they initiate their pledges a semester later and have to go through what's probably the equivalent of history lessons. Honestly, I've heard of way worse sanctions for having a scavenger hunt or something.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Weren't three other Lehigh chapters already on probation?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What is up with Lehigh recently? Not the behavior so much as so much of it being aired at once.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
The sorority will also be a substance-free living environment through Dec. 31, 2012, and will be placed on Disciplinary Probation from Jan. 1, 2012 through May 31, 2013.
[/I]
Does this mean their chapter house? I thought all NPC groups had "substance-free living enviroments"? Do they have House Directors at Lehigh?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

They get in trouble for hazing pledges, so the university makes their pledge period LONGER. Oh, yeah, that makes sense.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Does this mean their chapter house? I thought all NPC groups had "substance-free living enviroments"?
Exactly what I was thinking...

@~/~~~~
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, not to make light of a serious situation...but does anyone else see “Disciplinary Deferred Dissolution” and automatically think "Double Secret Probation"?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Ok, not to make light of a serious situation...but does anyone else see “Disciplinary Deferred Dissolution” and automatically think "Double Secret Probation"?
===================================\

Exactly what I was thinking. When did Dean Wormer move to Lehigh.
Actually, all this at Lehigh sounds more like a 'let's get rid of Greeks' sort of program.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
Actually, all this at Lehigh sounds more like a 'let's get rid of Greeks' sort of program.
If Lehigh ever wants to get rid of the Greeks, it won't be because they want the land as some landlocked campuses are doing.

Greek Row at Lehigh is located in the woods half-way up a ridge which forms the south side of the Great Valley which runs from Maine to Georgia. The Appalachian Trail is on the north side. The point is, that even though the Lehigh campus is located in south-side Bethlehem, very close to the old Bethlehem Steel, the Row is in the woods up the hill. There is nothing above or to either side of it except more woods.

This also ties in to the 24/7 up their asses thought. There are only three roads that go to the Row. One from the main campus and two from a local road that snakes over the hill. The campus cops close the gates at night which just makes the Row more isolated that it already was. It's very hard to police the area.

BTW, my aunt was just over and told me that she dated a Lafayette Deke in her youth.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

The way I read it, DG is one of the few sororities on the "Row" and the other girls' groups are in a more accessible place. Is that right?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

"I believe DG was very honest from the beginning and that goes a long way," Wilkinson said. "I've tried to explain that to other chapters."

That's great, but this statement sort of reminds me of the pointlessness of confessing your heresy to Henry VIII. He felt better that maybe you weren't going to hell, but he still had your head cut off.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
===================================\

Exactly what I was thinking. When did Dean Wormer move to Lehigh.
Actually, I think it's more of "Let's hold Greeks accountable to their rituals and programs." If they wanted to get rid of Greeks, they wouldn't have just expanded with Zeta Tau Alpha and last year with Pi Kappa Alpha and Delta Chi.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Hahahaha that's exactly what I thought when I read it.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The way I read it, DG is one of the few sororities on the "Row" and the other girls' groups are in a more accessible place. Is that right?
I haven't been on the row in years, but I drive by often on Sunday mornings and see all of the cars parked on the road of people who were locked out on Saturday night.

I had to check the maps to see who was where. Here are two. They both look north and down a very steep hill; it's called South Mountain. I don't know if there are any off-campus houses.

Some of the most isolated houses are sororities (if Google is correct).