GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,363
1 members and 1,362 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 01-01-2004, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated...

For all of you who have graduated, was it weird not being an active sister anymore?

I can't imagine not going to meetings every week, no mixers, no formals, no homecoming, no sister nights out, no lounging around the house in our pj's watching the Bachelor...the whole thing seems like quite a change...what was it like for you?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
It was so weird for me that I voluntarily flew 2000 miles back to help my chapter with formal recruitment last year

Seriously, I still miss not attending meetings or hanging out with different sisters. I talk to my diamond sister often on the phone and through IM, but it's not the same as being in the same town and getting the random phone calls at 11 at night wanting to know if I just want to go for a drive around NW Indiana. I'm trying to become a lot more active with the alumni association around this area and get involved with helping a local ADPi chapter, but I still miss the girls I initiated with or witnessed their initiations!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Well, sometimes it sucks. I miss living in the sorority house, because it gets lonely going from 40 other people around all the time to just my family. I feel so much more out of the loop now...no more meetings, formals, parties. My social life isn't as good as it used to be, that's for sure! The thing I miss most, though, is falling out of touch with a lot of my sisters...the ones I graduated with have all scattered, and the actives are busy with school and...stuff I used to do. *sniff* But look at it this way--being an alum is cool, too. The younger girls look up to us...which I like.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
it was definately weird, at first i didn't really know what to do with my monday nights. I was really conflicted, part of me was so glad to be free and to move on, but on the other hand i was sad to go.. I was still in school after I went alum, so I was still around the house a lot. I think the strangest feeling for me was when I was there this past thanksgiving - I went by the house to meet with my grandlittle, and I only knew about 5 people there. Like any other moment in your life where you have to grow up and move on its bittersweet. Just remember they are your sisters for life..you can still hang out, do sisters night out, etc.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Its defintely strange at first. I graduated May 2002, so its almost been 2 years now. At first I was still close to my chapter, went to Big Sis Rev and Initiation, etc, especially since my family always takes littles (i am at the top of a huge tree now!!) .... but now i dont really go back anymore. I only know the seniors and a few juniors, and I feel like I am a different person than I was two years ago. I'd like to be involved in an advisory position in a few years though, once everyone I know has graduated.

most of my closest friends are my sisters, though...
Old 01-01-2004, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I'm weird, but it wasn't that hard for me. That last semester I really wasn't into being a collegian anymore. I stopped going to most meetings, and I was only at my last formal for like a half hour. I was just ready to move on. But my situation is probably different than most because I got married 3 weeks after graduation, so I was going into a very different stage of life than most others who graduate. And I was very ready to be married. But I found the transition into being an alum an easy one. I immediately contacted the alum chapter and started a new position for myself so that I could be on the exec board. And I also started helping out at my collegiate chapter with rush and being there to lend support when no one else could be there. That was the weirdest part, being back at the chapter, but in a very different role. But that's a whole different thread.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
I do find it a little wierd. I still am planning Formal though since Seniors do that and I went alum while being a senior. Plus, I don't have a grand lil yet, so I will be at revealing so that I can meet her (who ever she is) and I will definitely be at initiation. As long as I am near MSU, I think I will try to stay involved. I told the new member educator that if she needed anything to let me know and I would take care of them if I had some time.

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 01-02-2004, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

It really wasn't wierd, but it was hard.

After graduation, I moved to a city where I knew NOBODY! I had a full-time job and didn't have anyone to go out with (it was hard enough having to adjust to only being able to go out on weekend nights instead of Wednesday night and Thursday night and Friday night and Saturday night, and, well, okay, Monday and Tuesday nights too ). I didn't realize how good I had it with my sisters until I no longer had someone to randomly call up and ask if they wanted to go to Wally World with me. I had to learn how to run errands and eat lunch by myself! I also had to "unlearn" the habit of looking around for girls in AZD shirts whenever entering a room! It also felt weird to eat meals with only 2 or 3 other people instead of a large group of sisters.

It felt weird to come home from work and not have anything to do. I would just sit there and be like, "okay, don't I have something I have to be at or something I'm supposed to be planning or some paper I'm supposed to be writing?" It's like that free time you longed for in college is suddenly granted to you, but now you don't have anything to do with it!

The biggest thing for me to adjust to was how hard it is to meet other people when you're not in school and don't automatically have a group of 55 other women you know!
Old 01-02-2004, 08:31 AM

I didn't come around as much during my senior year. Especially during my last semester; I think I went to maybe 2 meetings. I also didn't go to socials anymore; the older girls really didn't want to hang around 18-year-old fraternity boys (no offense).
I was sad that I couldn't come around the house anymore for lunch or dinner. I had to learn to cook for myself everyday which has been an adventure.
I missed going to the ZTA house and sitting on the couch and talking about my day with any of the sisters who were around me.
It's bittersweet, though. I definitely do not miss paying dues!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

It was quite a change for me. I was used to holding 3 or 4 chairs a year and going to EVERY event that we had planned. Then I graduated in 2000 and moved 3 hours away with my husband. It was kind of a shock to my system. In 2002 I became the President of our Alumnae Association so things have gotten a lot better. I have started having an annual dinner for ALL sisters the Saturday of MLK weekend. Last year we had 22 sisters, mostly alumnae, show up and I'm hoping that we'll have an even better turnout this year.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfly2001nc
tnx and akpsi

it's definitely weird for me! I just graduate in May 2003 but still miss being active in a chapter and being part of greek week and such. Got to be a judge for lip sync last year and it kicked butt! too bad i can't do it again! I even fly back to NC for a weekend just to go to my chapter's christmas party.

For Alpha Kappa Psi, i was a member for 4.5 years so that was especially hard to leave. Was the oldest brother in my chapter. I still talk to a lot of them but it definitely isn't the same. I'm going back for the Beach trip so that should be fun cause i'll get to see everyone and meet the new brothers. Beach trip is the most freakin' awesome trip!

awww....the good ol' days!

hehe
Old 01-02-2004, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The one most important thing that an alum can say to an undergrad:

Treasure your years in college, make the most of them, becasue they
will go by very fast and once they are done you never get them back.

Even if you go to grad school.