GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,386
0 members and 2,386 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2011, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Morning Everyone, My niece is very happy about being invited back to her 3 parties today. She still is incredibly nervous though...and incredibly hopeful! She would be thrilled with all of the houses she's going to today, and is not certain which one is her favorite because she would be happy to be in any of them.
Thanks so much to everyone...and yes she said it started rainy !
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A U of I thread, I can't believe I just stalked this now!!!!! I have been on pins and needles the last few weeks as my sister is going through recruitment as we speak! I wish the best of luck to all the young women, and can't wait to hear where everyone ends up tomorrow!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to everyone! It's going to be a great day.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Miracle of miracles! My daughter was asked back to the 3 houses she listed first! She was so much happier today than yesterday. I honestly am happily surprised, since she was such a Debbie Downer yesterday, I was afraid no one was going to invite her back!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Mom View Post
Miracle of miracles! My daughter was asked back to the 3 houses she listed first! She was so much happier today than yesterday. I honestly am happily surprised, since she was such a Debbie Downer yesterday, I was afraid no one was going to invite her back!
So glad you got a happy call today! Hopefully it will be an even happier phone call tomorrow!!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wanted to mention - her most favorite house for today (of course, I wish she wouldn't pick a favorite until she has a bid in her hand!) had been a strong favorite of her room mate, but she was dropped early on. I think there was some trash talk going on, and that may have influenced my daughter.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

All we can say is try your best to block out the trash talking, but we all know that's great in theory and really tough to do in real life. I'm glad she's feeling better today! So much of what they go through is merely the process of rejection and not that they were rejected by a particular group, even though they think that's what it is at the time.

Best of luck to her! As long as she marks all 3 on her card today, she WILL have a sorority tomorrow. Exciting, huh?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck to your daughter! 3 invites is awsome I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am happy for her, sometimes a little conidence builder is all we need. I hope she has a wonderful day at her prefs!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I also wanted to mention - her most favorite house for today (of course, I wish she wouldn't pick a favorite until she has a bid in her hand!) had been a strong favorite of her room mate, but she was dropped early on. I think there was some trash talk going on, and that may have influenced my daughter.
Yeah, that happens way too often. "OMG who'd want to be an XYZ...they're so slutty and skanky..." This from the girl who had been secretly looking at XYZ gear online and thinking about which outfits it would coordinate with. Probably under other circumstances, your daughter would get what was happening, but when you're in the middle of your own traumas, your thinking gets a bit befuddled.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Three cheers for three pref invites.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I can't wait to hear where the U of I PNM's end up!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Can some of you who are more familiar with the rules comment on this and tell me what you think? I just heard this today, it really made me sad.

Incoming freshman has a solid 3.5 (out of 4.0) GPA upon high school graduation. She decides to take a college level class over the summer at her local community college to satisfy the prerequisite for a challenging class she wants to take at U of I in the fall. She completes the class and, though it's very difficult, passes with a "C". She is able to enroll in the class and starts packing for school.

Said freshman registers for rush, and things progress very smoothly until after 2nd stage when she is dropped by every house except the 2 lowest houses on her list. She is devastated and mystified as to what happened; although she certainly never expected to get 100% back, this was really drastic. She receives an "off the record", tearful phone call from an older friend, an active in a house she really liked, explaining that she was dropped by her house, and probably all the others as well, because of her 2.0 GPA. PNM is thoroughly confused, until it is explained that only her college GPA is being considered (remember, this consists of 1 summer school course), and her 4 years of high school work is ignored.

Is this really how it's done? It seems incredibly harsh, and certainly penalizes a kid who was trying to take initiative academically. If it is, I don't think PNMs are aware of it at all. In this young woman's case, I don't think she would change anything, since her academics are her top priority and she wouldn't have opted not to take the summer class just to play it safe and go through rush on her high school GPA, but it seems like a shame.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how it works with her school, but... when I took summer classes at a CC, while the credits transferred just fine, the grade did not reflect on my GPA. It wasn't permitted to. That seems very very harsh.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I don't know how it works with her school, but... when I took summer classes at a CC, while the credits transferred just fine, the grade did not reflect on my GPA. It wasn't permitted to. That seems very very harsh.
Yeah, that does seem strange, and harsh, too. I took physics at a community college the summer between sophomore and junior year of college. My credits transfered, but not the grades. Too bad, because I got As.

It'd be different if she took a summer class at her university. Then the GPA should count.