GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,261
3 members and 1,258 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Graduate Membership GPA Question (NPHC Sororities Especially)

Please don't take offense to this question. I've looked everywhere - including doing Google searches - to find the answer to to no avail. I'm not posting in any specific NPHC sorority's thread because it's a question of a general nature and I didn't want to take the chance of cross-posting in multiple threads and risk getting my knuckles rapped for spamming.

My question is straightforward: If a PNM's GPA is below the required minimum for membership, are extenuating circumstances taken into consideration if addressed in a personal statement or addendum to the application?

I had undiagnosed Lupus (SLE) during undergrad and didn't get diagnosed until 2004, several years after I graduated. I did manage to do better than the bare minimum 2.0 GPA, but not by much. I carried A's and B's during times I wasn't sick (which I later learned was called remission), but only managed C's when I was sick, which was 90% of the time.

Which brings another question to mind. I've decided to pursue an AA in photography, for my own pleasure, from my local community college. Will those grades count toward my undergrad GPA for graduate membership purposes?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by PhotoBug; 07-30-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the organization. In my fraternity, which is APhiA, the completion of the undergraduate degree is what is considered rather than the GPA, but I bet even that varies by chapter.

For those organizations in which it makes a difference, they probably won't post the answer here.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It depends on the organization. In my fraternity, which is APhiA, the completion of the undergraduate degree is what is considered rather than the GPA, but I bet even that varies by chapter.

For those organizations in which it makes a difference, they probably won't post the answer here.
Thanks, Senusret I. I would hope that someone would PM me if they didn't want to publicly answer my question. But, given a reasonable amount of time, no answer at all from any NPHC sorority members actually IS an answer - and a clue as to how I should proceed.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
Please don't take offense to this question. I've looked everywhere - including doing Google searches - to find the answer to to no avail. I'm not posting in any specific NPHC sorority's thread because it's a question of a general nature and I didn't want to take the chance of cross-posting in multiple threads and risk getting my knuckles rapped for spamming.

My question is straightforward: If a PNM's GPA is below the required minimum for membership, are extenuating circumstances taken into consideration if addressed in a personal statement or addendum to the application?

I had undiagnosed Lupus (SLE) during undergrad and didn't get diagnosed until 2004, several years after I graduated. I did manage to do better than the bare minimum 2.0 GPA, but not by much. I carried A's and B's during times I wasn't sick (which I later learned was called remission), but only managed C's when I was sick, which was 90% of the time.

Which brings another question to mind. I've decided to pursue an AA in photography, for my own pleasure, from my local community college. Will those grades count toward my undergrad GPA for graduate membership purposes?

Thanks for any help.
To pursue graduate/alumnae membership in Sigma Gamma Rho, you must have achieved your Bachelor's degree...no specific GPA is required at this level. Good Luck in finding out about the others; you may want to contact the nearest graduate chapters for that information.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 07-31-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
To pursue graduate/alumnae membership in Sigma Gamma Rho, you must have achieved your Bachelor's degree...no specific GPA is required at this level. Good Luck in finding out about the others; you may want to contact the nearest graduate chapters for that information.
Thank you!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
^^Love my Soror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
Thank you!
Good luck to you in your quest!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, NinjaPoodle.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority Zeta Phi Beta, there is no specific GPA requirement for graduate chapter. One must have solid proof of a bachelor's degree and your transcripts will be needed as well, good luck to you and pm me personally if you need any further info.