GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,420
2 members and 1,418 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

"Early Bids" by One Dartmouth Local Sorority

One of the local sororities at Dartmouth will “offer early bids” today (Sept. 22), according to the student paper. For details on this relatively unusual move, see:

http://thedartmouth.com/2011/09/21/news/rush

Excerpt from the much longer article^^:

“Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority will offer early bids to members of the Class of 2014 on Thursday, Sept. 22, before the official Panhellenic recruitment process begins Sept. 30, according to an email sent by Panhell to female members of the Class of 2014 on Tuesday. Students who receive bids will be able to bypass the formal rush process, the email said.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
One of the local sororities at Dartmouth will “offer early bids” today (Sept. 22), according to the student paper. For details on this relatively unusual move, see:

http://thedartmouth.com/2011/09/21/news/rush

Excerpt from the much longer article^^:

“Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority will offer early bids to members of the Class of 2014 on Thursday, Sept. 22, before the official Panhellenic recruitment process begins Sept. 30, according to an email sent by Panhell to female members of the Class of 2014 on Tuesday. Students who receive bids will be able to bypass the formal rush process, the email said.”
My first reaction is that this sounds like a small group trying to catch up, and put a positive spin on it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
My first reaction is that this sounds like a small group trying to catch up, and put a positive spin on it.
Very probably true, and pretty much supported by several of the "comments" linked to the story in the college paper. Whatever it is, it seems to me that it's unusual to do it a week before recruitment officially starts.

Last edited by exlurker; 09-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
My immediate thought was that this situation would cause EKT to have an unfair advantage. One commenter mentioned something to this effect, going so far as to call it dirty rushing.

However, the article says that

Quote:
Panhell approached EKT with the idea for the new rush event last year as a way to “stabilize” sorority membership numbers before bringing in a ninth sorority. Other sororities had requested smaller pledge class quotas, and Panhell was concerned that the quota would be smaller than the large number of graduating seniors in EKT, Nicholson said.
[Emphasis mine]

In a world where locals are often on the outs, this Panhell seems to be on the right track.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/about.html
Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
WOW

I read the history of this local, which is a former Kappa Alpha Theta chapter. Just. Wow.

That is quite a history.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned

Shoulda seen that page back when it mentioned elements of Theta ritual that the local disagreed with. I don't know when they edited it.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Shoulda seen that page back when it mentioned elements of Theta ritual that the local disagreed with. I don't know when they edited it.
I wish I could type a longgggg whistle... how disrespectful. Glad they thought better of it & took it down.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
WOW

I can't believe that's on a website where the public can see it.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
WOW

Sigma Delta used to be a chapter of Sigma Kappa. Same deal.

Last edited by violetpretty; 09-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
WOW

One of my close friends was in that house and graduated in 1992 (the year of all the controversy) and I've heard a lot about that time period from her - the version they have on the website now is a very sugar-coated version of what went on. VERY sugar-coated.

They ultimately wanted to be a local and govern like a local and behave like a renegade fraternity, but have the benefit of national affiliation after they graduated and scattered to other cities. Given the circumstances, I can't see the national doing anything BUT what they did.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL...apparently there were no art majors around when they founded EKT. blue and red are not "opposites"...blue and orange/ red and green would be "opposite" or complimentary colors. Just something I noticed.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM

You have to remember that things were VERY different (as in much looser regarding risk management) when EKT colonized as a chapter, in 1984. IMO, Theta made the mistake by not taking a firm hand with the chapter to begin with. At any school, but ESPECIALLY a school like Dartmouth, you can't just assume that things will be done just because a large governing body says to do them. If you don't want to deal with that sort of challenge, don't colonize at Dartmouth.

Some of those comments are asinine. Actually, I don't know why this is an article. Sorority gives out open bids to eligible members. Why is this front page news?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
They got rid of the elements of the Theta Ritual between December 4, 2004 and February 6, 2005.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
One of my close friends was in that house and graduated in 1992 (the year of all the controversy) and I've heard a lot about that time period from her - the version they have on the website now is a very sugar-coated version of what went on. VERY sugar-coated.

They ultimately wanted to be a local and govern like a local and behave like a renegade fraternity, but have the benefit of national affiliation after they graduated and scattered to other cities. Given the circumstances, I can't see the national doing anything BUT what they did.
I read the

"The sisters of EK Colony had received consultants before, and were usually able to squelch fraternizing and imbibing for long enough to accommodate them. "

and went "This is part of your justification as to why you left KATh?