GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,023
0 members and 1,023 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

The general attitude among the majority of Greek women on Arkansas's campus is immense excitement regarding Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Mu's colonization this fall. With the enormous (and growing) pledge classes, the Greek community (especially NPC) is united in welcoming any and all ways to help alleviate the stress of a 350+ chapter. Arkansas's freshmen summer orientation is currently under way. Each night of orientation each chapter (all four councils) is allotted a table for about 2 hours to meet and greet with PNMs. Based upon the already past sessions, the response to A Chi O and Phi Mu has been incredible. I think very few people fear their ability to be successful at the U of A despite our campus being considered a death trap for new chapters. AOII is the best example of how successful a chapter really can be at Arkansas if they have a strong foundation. The only whispers of concern I have personally heard is the impact A Chi O and Phi Mu's recruitment could have on chapters that have struggled in the past. Last fall was the first time in years all chapters at Arkansas made quota. While this was an incredibly emotional and satisfying accomplishment (shared by all NPC chapters), there is some fear the addition of the two new chapters could lead to 1 or 2 already existing chapters not receiving quota this fall as many women may opt to drop during preference round to pursue the colonization process. I am hoping and praying this is not the case and that we can experience once again a very successful formal recruitment and colonization process!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
When AOII colonized at Arkansas, we came across so many wonderful young women who were the first to go to college in their families. This is VERY common at Arkansas. These young women tended to have little greek knowledge or pedigree, and therefore didn't know how to prepare for formal recruitment at such a competitive campus.
Not to stereotype these women, but I get the feeling on campuses like Arkansas (and Alabama, LSU, etc) there are so many PNMs who are a great fit for Greek life (especially in the South) but as you said that one crucial factor of lacking an inside connection to an established chapter is a big hurdle.

Like in the North (and just making a generalized un-expert opinion) I get the feeling that even if chapters decided to take anyone who walked in through the door a greater proportion of the student body still just wouldn't be interested in greek life.

All that being said, it just makes me more excited for AGD's return to USC!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question...

Based on what has been said there are so many great woman at Arkansas and other SEC schools;

Quote:
When AOII colonized at Arkansas, we came across so many wonderful young women who were the first to go to college in their families. This is VERY common at Arkansas. These young women tended to have little greek knowledge or pedigree, and therefore didn't know how to prepare for formal recruitment at such a competitive campus. They included Razorback cheerleaders, the Homecoming Queen (and future wife of American Idol winner Kris Allen),
I wonder if that makes it the case of the old adage "too many chiefs and not enough indians."?

Granted I can see where the Student Body President may not want to be Chapter President let alone president of the dining committee.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
Based on what has been said there are so many great woman at Arkansas and other SEC schools;

I wonder if that makes it the case of the old adage "too many chiefs and not enough indians."?

Granted I can see where the Student Body President may not want to be Chapter President let alone president of the dining committee.
I'm not really following your thinking here....
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My thought was that if we define "great women" as leaders.

Well in order to have leaders, we need to have followers.

My concern is that if we have all of these leaders going through colonization process, what about followers? We need those too.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, i see.

In my experience, many of the " great leaders" from high school become really good followers at college. Those high school "chiefs" were sometimes put in those positions out of default, or chosen because they are smart, or well liked by the faculty, or popular.

So, a pnm with a good resume filled with activities and honors will not necessarily translate into a college career of the same caliber. However, it can and usually does mean the girl understands concepts like team, group, loyalty, commitment, etc. and she will make a good "Indian."
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^totally agree with that and have seen it play out!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Any new information?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I'm waiting to see sketches of the new houses. If they are anything like AOPi's new house, they're going to be amazing!

Do they even have house sketches or, for that matter, land? I would be surprised if they were that far along, but I would love it if they were.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

gee_ess I don't think any of that has even been discussed at this point. Last I heard the two sororities will be temporarily housed in the Bud Walton dorms (formerly the athletic dorms before the completion of the NW Quads) which are directly across the street from the football statement.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
gee_ess I don't think any of that has even been discussed at this point. Last I heard the two sororities will be temporarily housed in the Bud Walton dorms (formerly the athletic dorms before the completion of the NW Quads) which are directly across the street from the football statement.
Well I certainly hope they have better luck with that dorm than AOII did. Less than 1 week before move in, we were told of black mold and had to scramble to find housing for our women. Nightmare.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post

That's what I thought. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Irishpipes - maybe they have spent some $$ on the situation? With housing at such a premium on campus, maybe they have taken steps to make this dorm more liveable?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Well I certainly hope they have better luck with that dorm than AOII did. Less than 1 week before move in, we were told of black mold and had to scramble to find housing for our women. Nightmare.
Last summer they spent some time overhauling the dorms to be fit to house the exponentially growing freshman class. Also, I know the Greek Life Office is also moving their offices to this location so extensive renovations have been done to accommodate that move.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Bumping due to conversations in the Arkansas thread about the colonization. On the 1st page, there in information regarding the colonizations and interviewing.

Yes, I am an IFC guy. No, I am (obviously) not in Alpha Chi Omega or Phi Mu. Without going into specifics, I can promise that the information I have shared is accurate.

Interviews begin Aug. 27. Good luck to all the pnms and to Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Mu.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Phi Mu has a Facebook application where PNM's can get information and sign up for interview times. I must say, that's pretty badass.