GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,208
2 members and 2,206 guests
fmanning

Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Sean Taylor: Death by the Black KKK??

Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all
By Jason Whitlock

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...PHCP&GT1=10637

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm really bothered by this article. I don't like the term "Black KKK." The writer's use of the term is not the same as what the KKK did. The KKK commits hate crimes and propagranda mostly based on race. The so-called "Black KKK" is not committing crimes based on race. It could be over anything.

I'll refrain from calling this article stupid because I know it's more of an opinion piece, but once again someone needs to pull Jason Whitlock aside and explain the power of having a voice in the press.

ESPN's Jemele Hill had a slightly different take on it. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=hill/071127

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~Martin Luther King
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I read this dumb article yesterday. I agree with much of what Ten/Four typed.

The issue is with crime and a race-crime relationship that also applies to white-on-white crime. Black-on-black crime is disproportionately elevated when you add socioeconomic status to the mix.

The "KKK" catchphrase was used to sensationalize the issue and get this dumb journalist some "notoriety."
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all
By Jason Whitlock

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...PHCP&GT1=10637

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?
Jason Whitlock is full of it -- a columnist who should not be taken seriously. He's a self-loathing blowhard who couldn't hit the point with a bat.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Beautiful acted and a lovely piece of entertainment. 4 stars.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of this columnist until this morning when a co-worker sent me a link to this article. He wanted to know what I thought and this (he is white) and I told him that it was just nice rhetoric but that was about it. Every ethnic culture has positive aspects and negative aspects of it but in this country, news medias and other influencial outlets in this country chooses to focus on the later because that is what sells papers (including his article), influence news ratings, and drive trends/clothing sales.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering where he was shot, I still think the girlfriend did it or arranged it.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Considering where he was shot, I still think the girlfriend did it or arranged it.
Sistergreek, we are ----->here<-------

How likely is it that she would hide under the covers WITH the baby and she didn't see anything? C'mon, her story isn't adding up. If someone broke into your home and they even thought you saw something, they'd try to shoot you too.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Exactly! As soon as I heard the story I was like the girlfriend is suspect!! My question is...if it was a robbery...what did they take besides an innocent man's life?

And "Black KKK"...Lawd, they are about to get me started.

But for real, as my soror and sistergreek said....somethin ain't right...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew a dude whose wife shot him "there" (she didn't hit an artery) because he had been cheating on her.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
The issue is with crime and a race-crime relationship that also applies to white-on-white crime. Black-on-black crime is disproportionately elevated when you add socioeconomic status to the mix.

The "KKK" catchphrase was used to sensationalize the issue and get this dumb journalist some "notoriety."
yep, what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
I've never heard of this columnist until this morning when a co-worker sent me a link to this article. He wanted to know what I thought and this (he is white) and I told him that it was just nice rhetoric but that was about it. Every ethnic culture has positive aspects and negative aspects of it but in this country, news medias and other influencial outlets in this country chooses to focus on the later because that is what sells papers (including his article), influence news ratings, and drive trends/clothing sales.
Whitlock has long been considered a bit of a "maverick" in sports media circles. Columnists, unlike reporters, generate buzz by reaction to their comments -- thus a whole genre of program like "The Sports Reporters" (misnamed) and Pardon the Interruption.

He is zealous in presenting the "counter opinion," usually about African American athletes and culture. Yet I've have yet to see him make the same overly broad, illogical assumptions about the whole of white society when white athletes are shown in unflattering lights.

Sure he can call out the behavior of 4 or 5 NFL athletes and the role "culture" plays in what they do, but he leaves besmirched the 1,200 other black men in the NFL (roughly 75 percent) who are doing the right thing.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
Sistergreek, we are ----->here<-------

How likely is it that she would hide under the covers WITH the baby and she didn't see anything? C'mon, her story isn't adding up. If someone broke into your home and they even thought you saw something, they'd try to shoot you too.
The full story will come out on Snapped by 2009. But yes, from my years of watching Snapped, I too suspect Jackie is culpable. You don't hide under no blankets when bullets are flying.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I just saw on TV where Jackie's uncle is Actor Andy Garcia.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
The full story will come out on Snapped by 2009. But yes, from my years of watching Snapped, I too suspect Jackie is culpable. You don't hide under no blankets when bullets are flying.
Welp, let me go erase my shhpil on socioeconomic stuff.

Snapped is the show!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Welp, let me go erase my shhpil on socioeconomic stuff.

Snapped is the show!
Yes, it is! I am amazed at how these women do the dumbest isht to kill a man and get caught. I think next Snapped should be about women who kill their kids -- might be harder to take but it is worth profiling.