GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,554
0 members and 1,554 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2003, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via Yahoo to Natty
Question Travelling to Europe

Hi there!
I was wondering if any of you have traveled to Europe? I went my junior year of high school to Germany and Switzerland. But I am planning a trip to Europe for next summer and I would some ideas of good websites for hostels and eurail. And if anyone can reccommend some countries to visit... I am planning on going to Italy, Ireland, and Greece, but I am open to much more! Thanks!
Nat
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

if you are still a student then try www.sta.com, great rates and every thing, you will have to buy a student card, but its only $22 and will save some much!
Old 06-15-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I have been to England, Ireland, and France. I recommend visiting these countries and their landmarks.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Definatly if you're going to be in Italy you need to hop the border to Cannes, France, on the French Riveria. And you MUST get pizza there!

Paris was ok, but it was kinda dirty. If you're going to go you have to be there at night to see the Eiffel Tower lit up.

Monte Carlo was AWESOME!

I like Geneva, Switerland too.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
All the places AlphaFrog mentioned are great, and I want to add a few more to the list. Some of my favorite spots are Munich, Germany (German people have always been nice to me, and there are lots of places to go in and around the city); Lucern, Switzerland (check out the bridge over the river in the middle of the city); Amsterdam, the Netherlands (wow, what a beautiful place! You've got to take a ride down some of the canals); and Ireland, which is just nice in general.

Paris is great because there's so much to do, it would keep you occupied for years...but, as someone mentioned, it's also pretty dirty, and the people there can be not-so-nice. You'd better speak French if you want them to act civilly.

Italy is great, too, but it may be hard to get around if you don't speak Italian or Spanish, since most of the people I ran into didn't speak English. That's not necessarily bad; it just made things a little difficult sometimes. But it's a really gorgeous country.

I hope you have an awesome time!
Old 06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

i went to europe for 3 months from sept. to dec.
my favourite countries were spain, switzerland, italy and france.
EVERYWHERE in spain is awesome, and relatively inexpensive.
Amsterdam, Holland was pretty cool too.
feel free to pm me with any q's. i went to the following 12 countries: belgium, holland, germany, austria, spain, portugal, morocco, italy, sicily, greece, switzerland, france.
I would definitely buy the Let's Go- Western Europe (or just europe depending on where you're going) the Lonely Planet was garbage and we never used it.
i found that italy, portugal and germany were the hardest countries to communicate in.
good luck and have fun!!
Old 06-15-2003, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I lived in Firenze, Italia, August-December 2001. AchtungBaby80 is right, many Italians don't speak English unless they work in the tourism industry-- then they know about enough to get their job done and that's it. They also like to play with you and pretend that they don't speak English. I lived with a host family who didn't speak a word of English, but I knew this going in, so I took a few intensive courses before I went and am now fluent. It's great! I also travelled to Greece while I was in Europe. Kappas, you'll appreciate this: I got my picture taken with the Korai at the Temple of Athena on the Acropolis.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I lived in Rome from January-June 2002. I took Italian all throughout my undergraduate years, which is probably why I survived the way I did--I'm probably fluent now. Where I lived, which was Rome's equivalent of the Upper East Side, most people knew English, because they were involved with American Universities or multinational corporations--and most wanted to speak English with me all the time! I didn't want to--I just wanted to improve my Italian. I traveled throughout Italy--the Piedmonte, Sicily, Naples and the Amalfi Coast, the Veneto (Padova, Venice, and Verona) and Tuscany.

I absolutely loved Paris! My plans to spend that time with friends fell through, so I was able to spend most of the 5 days I was there doing what I wanted to do. I'm a hardcore traveler, so I had no problem doing 14 hour days walking, and the Paris Metro is awesome! I don't speak French, but I made sure I knew basic phrases which wouldn't make me look like an Ugly American. I managed pretty well, and I wouldn't say that not knowing French would make you helpless in Paris--most things are in English, Spanish, French, and Italian. Paris has fairly decent hostels in its city center. I stayed in one very close to Pere-Lachaise, the place I wanted to visit the most.

Guides...Let's Go was great! I bought one for Rome before I moved and didn't get to half of the stuff in the book, although I tried hard. Let's Go, for those who don't know, has sections for trips of varying lengths, along with sites which aren't major attractions, but are pretty damned cool. Lonely Planet wasn't that great--I don't think they update as much as they *claim* to.

As for Eurail passes, I would wait to buy them once you're in Europe. They are flexible, but you can get cheaper tickets with somewhat better flexibility in each country. That was the experience of various friends who studied abroad--it may be different if you are spending a summer.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
went to france this past september for a week to see my sister....had the BEST time....did the paris thing (which, WHOA, is great), but also saw chartres and versailles....versailles is a personal fave b/c i SO had some pretty heavy deja vu there, so yeah. it was AWESOME!

she's now in germany, and she loves it there as well.....such the lil voyager.....so jealous! she lives in regensburg, about an hour from munich, and always talks about great lil clubs and stuff. will get names from her to help ya out there when you get tired of seeing the "old stuff" she's also been to italy...never been there, myself, but i can relay the message of how beautiful is it....although, avoid piza (or however it's spelled)...she said the only thing there is the leaning tower, and that's it....then you wait around for 4 hrs for the train to come back to pick your sorry butt up. just buy a postcard.

the best advice i can give ya, though, is how to snag a european man. ya know how us americans, we see a guy, we kinda stare, but then as soon as he looks our way, we kinda look away...don't wanna get busted (well, most of the time, anyway)....DO NOT do that there. you see a hottie, you keep your eyes on him, get that eye contact, and i GUARANTEE he will walk yo'way. my sis kept tellin me i would just have men on me left and right walkin down the street....2 days into it, and i got nuthin. i got pouty, no lie. then she informed me i was playin the american games, and needed to realize i wasn't in america anymore. she showed me how it was done--sho'nuf got herself a nice policeman to turn around and talk to her. it was hilarious and encouraging all at the same time. so i learned from then on how to play, and had no issues after that. work the french men....it is easy and WORTH IT! don't call it "french kissin" for nothin!

**edited to add:i never experienced any rudeness from young french guys....i speak some french, but not fluent...can carry on a decent convo.....the only ppl you should worry about if you can't speak any french whatsoever: ANY french female, and OLD french guys. period.

My Facebook

Last edited by AlphaGamDiva; 06-16-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaGamDiva
went to france this past september for a week to see my sister....had the BEST time....did the paris thing (which, WHOA, is great), but also saw chartres and versailles....versailles is a personal fave b/c i SO had some pretty heavy deja vu there, so yeah. it was AWESOME!

I liked Versailles and Chartes too, but it got to the point where I think we saw every Catherdral and Chateau in France so they got to be not as exciting anymore...
Old 06-16-2003, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via Yahoo to Natty
Thumbs up Thanks so much!

You guys are helping so much! Thanks a million! Keep it coming! I am writing on notecards so I know what I need and places to go, thanks again!
Nat
Old 06-16-2003, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally posted by Natty
You guys are helping so much! Thanks a million! Keep it coming! I am writing on notecards so I know what I need and places to go, thanks again!
Nat
Also try Luxembourg... small enough country that you can traverse most of it in a day and a very picturesque capital city. Likewise, also check out the old Roman city of Trier, Germany. The Porta Nigra (Black Gate) is what remains of the old city wall.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 06-16-2003, 09:55 AM

Nobody's mentioned London yet??? Awesome city, lots of history, no language problems (well, almost none )
Old 06-16-2003, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Nobody's mentioned London yet??? Awesome city, lots of history, no language problems (well, almost none )
Well... as long as you don't wander off into the East End, where Cockney rhyming slang is prevalent!

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 06-16-2003, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh, London - I love London! It's got such an incredible pulse to it and the mix of old and new can really blow your mind. If you're going there, definitely check out Westminster Abbey and TALK to the people that work there - they are very, very knowledgeable and can fill you in on all sorts of cool stuff you'd otherwise miss. For more London info, check out this thread:

If you were going to London, England

I'll throw in another vote for Paris - it's absolutely spectacular. I've been there twice and never had any problems getting around or encountering rude Parisians, and I only speak "travel French". Go with an open mind, realize you're not in America, and if someone is rude to you, remember that not every single American you've ever met has been super-friendly. As for Paris being dirty, I really didn't think it was any dirtier than most American cities. Chicago isn't always a pristine place, either.

As for guidebooks, my absolute hands-down favorite is Rick Steves. I've checked out Let's Go, Lonely Planet, and Frommers and while they're all not bad, none of them have the spot-on recommendations (and humor!) of Rick Steves.

HAVE FUN no matter where you go! Europe is awesome, and now is a great time to travel!