GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,899
1 members and 1,898 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-20-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae Initiation?

I've been checking out the Alumnae Initation threads on GC and there seem to be numerous, talented women who have found their homes in GLOs after their college careers. I know Kappa was looking into AI and have had a few, I was just wondering what the status was on it? Have we tabled it until further notice? Decided that it wasn't quite for us? Waiting to see if it takes on as it has with other orgs? Just curious, that's all!

Thanks!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

You're right--there is an AI pilot program in place, but truthfully it isn't working the way Fraternity Council had hoped. Only one woman was initiated, and no other candidates were even seriously pursued. The pilot program is unpopular among both actives and alumnae...and will likely not be adopted as a full-time program at Convention in June of 2004 (in fact, I'm not sure if Council is even going to pursue it any further; they might just let the issue die).

Even if it were to be adopted, the AI program (as it is now spelled out in the pilot program) looks very little like any of the other NPC AI programs. Our current criteria are very restrictive--and really include only those non-Kappas who serve (and have already served) as long-term, dedicated Kappa advisers. In the case of the woman whose story appeared in The Key, she was an adviser to that chapter for over 20 years, and the chapter women wanted to make her a part of their sisterhood. There really isn't any provision (nor would there be much support for one) that would allow just any interested college grad to purusue AI with Kappa, even if she intended to become a chapter adviser.

Bottom line is that I just don't see Kappa pursuing AI any further. The program was VERY unpopular at last Convention, and was voted down. That's when Council made it a pilot program--just to give it one more try. And the pilot program really hasn't done well at all--partly because it is so unpopular among our membership.

Since then, it continues to be unpopular with actives and alumnae alike. I don't know what will happen with our AI pilot at Convention in June, but I don't think it is long for this world. I can't decide how that makes me feel--as a Province officer, I am always digging to find new, dedicated advisers for my 4 chapters...but at another level, I'm not sure that initiating alumnae is the right solution to the problem of recruiting full advisory boards.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Kristen! I knew you would have the answer for me.

As much as I would love to be able to share our sisterhood with all interested ladies, I understand if we feel it's not something that will quite work out for us, then that's okay. I just hope those that are interested in Kappa for AI understand why we don't utilize it. But I am glad so many women are finding their homes in an NPC org post graduation!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update on AI. I was at the last Convention when it was discussed - it got really wild (or as wild as it can get at a Kappa Convention) during the debate. There were some good points on both sides, but from my vantage point there were more alumnae who spoke out against it than chapter delegates.

I thought the pilot program was a good compromise to assist those chapters where there are very few or no alumnae in the surrounding areas to draw on. I really felt badly for the chapters that spoke out and needed advisors.

I think it would be interesting to learn how other NPC groups determine who can be an alumnae initiate. I had heard of it before Convention and knew that many other NPC's had that type of program.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Convention this year.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It's disappointing to hear that the pilot program is not as successful as expected. Even if the program is dropped, I would like to see an 'exceptional circumstance' put in so that women (like the long-time advisor that imsohappythatiama spoke of who was initated through the trial program) who have served Kappa can be initiated.

Last edited by kappaloo; 01-24-2004 at 12:53 AM.