GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 877
0 members and 877 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State Pi Beta Phi says in video that dating black women is "weird"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3435629

Quote:
An Ohio State student is backpedaling on offensive comments she made about black women in a video many people are labeling as racist.

Earlier this week, Miami University freshman Aleigha Mason shared a 10-second clip of Katelyn Rust ranting about how "weird" it was that her ex-boyfriend was hooking up with a black woman.

Rust, a white woman, was apparently angry that her ex was caught dancing with Mason, a black woman.

In the video Rust is seen looking into the camera and saying, "F--- yourself you're hooking up with a black girl, that's weird. That's weird as f---. F--- you."

The Pi Beta Phi women's fraternity, which Rust is a member of, also released a statement saying the content in the video does not align with its values.

"Pi Phi is taking this very seriously, and we are currently working through our member accountability process," a tweet read.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Her Standards Board is probably going to be the least of her problems. The two young men leading the racist chant at OU SAE were expelled from school and their fraternity shut down.

The organization can't really be held liable for anything other than recruiting a racist.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-06-2017, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I just realized that this is my cousin's chapter. I hope the membership takes a long look at their continuing member education and the conversations they have (or don't have) about race.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Why should the entire chapter suffer consequences from an inappropriate comment made by one member? Was she ranting while wearing her letters? Did she give a sorority chant at the end of her rant, or did someone ID her? Were all her sorority sisters in the background supporting her? Why should it be assumed that the sorority knows that she is racist?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I never meant to suggest her group should suffer any consequences. This is clearly not the same as the Oklahoma SAE situation. I would say the group has an opportunity to make a clear statement as to what its standards are here and people are going to make their own conclusions.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Was this on the girl's Twitter, or what? How did it get out?

I also think "weird" is a really, well, weird word to use in this situation.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM

I find it super interesting the tone of "Does it matter? She's not wearing letters while being racist" up in here but I'll reserve my commentary.

Whole sorority suffer? No. But I can't get down with "well does it matter?"

I recently confronted a similar issue with a group of collegians I was working with and I flat out told them that you may not have been wearing letters when you said that, but there is absolutely nothing values-based or "woman of character" about making racist comments.

Additional spoiler alert: "I am just a college student I did not know that was racist to say" means nothing to me.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Who asked if it mattered?

The post was entitled Pi Beta Phi member. If an OSU band member had ranted as purported this sorority member did, would the entire band be scapegoated? How about if she was a member of an honorary in her major?

My point was INDIVIDUALS should be held accountable for their transgressions. The fact that an individual is a sorority member, ASPCA member, friends of the library, etc. should be irrelevant unless the member's racist attitude is being actively supported by the org., which I doubt is the case, in this instance.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 PM

^^I get that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with FSUZeta!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Who asked if it mattered?
The author of the article thought Greek membership mattered. I imagine a lot of people are going to think her organizational membership matters. Is it justified? Nah. Does it matter to some people if it is justified? Nah.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Was this on the girl's Twitter, or what? How did it get out?

I also think "weird" is a really, well, weird word to use in this situation.
It sounds like a big cat fight over a boy, captured on the internet for all to see.

It sounds like Rust is talking directly to her ex-boyfriend when she makes her rant about him dancing with an African-American student. I'm not sure if she posted this on Twitter, sent it to him, or what. The African-American girl somehow found out about it, and "shared it" -- on Twitter? IDK. It seems like the original ranter had already recorded and shared it.

Some people are their own worst enemies.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The author of the article thought Greek membership mattered. I imagine a lot of people are going to think her organizational membership matters. Is it justified? Nah. Does it matter to some people if it is justified? Nah.
This. We're all Greek members. Let's not pretend like that doesn't come up in s****y situations when it shouldn't. You do something stupid in college, and if you're part of Greek life, it's going to be mentioned.

We can't tell our members "don't do anything stupid in letters" and "you're always repping your org" and then be surprised when our Greek affiliation gets pulled into such matters.

And let's face it, Pi Phi came out and made a statement about it. Perhaps if they said nothing, it never would have hit the article. We don't know.

All of that being said, her chapter shouldn't face any punishment from her sorority or school because of her actions.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Let's see whether the outrage machine spins this thing up. You never know what's going to catch on. Responding puts you in a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. If you don't respond, the outrage peddlers will run with how out of touch and insensitive your organization for not being responsive. Best to just get the prompt press release out that you are investigating things and will handle your issues internally, that your organization does not condone its members acting in a racially offensive manner, but you have no further comment at this time.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Let's see whether the outrage machine spins this thing up. You never know what's going to catch on. Responding puts you in a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. If you don't respond, the outrage peddlers will run with how out of touch and insensitive your organization for not being responsive. Best to just get the prompt press release out that you are investigating things and will handle your issues internally, that your organization does not condone its members acting in a racially offensive manner, but you have no further comment at this time.
Exactly. And clearly this has become even more prevalent with the existence of social media. Not only do stories spread quickly, but it's very easy to figure out whether or not someone is involoved on campus and in which clubs and organizations they're a member.

Pi Phi obviously thought it would be better to get ahead of this, regardless of whether or not it was needed or made sense.

@~/~~~~