GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
3 members and 1,387 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Voting on Potential New Members?

Hello all,

I am a member of a colony that is on the brink of getting its charter. Our chapter size is 70, putting us around 5th on campus. We are looking at a large spring recruitment class. There are some controversial PNM's, which have led many brothers suggesting the implementation of the fairly common voting process, where the chapter votes on members before giving bids. The majority of the Fraternity is in support of this initiative.

I am a non-exec chairman and have been asked to spearhead the effort. The problem is, I am a second semester freshman and haven't been around as long as some of the older guys. I feel a bit uncomfortable bringing up this issue, mostly because my Big is the recruitment chair and he has been quite vocal to me in his opposition to the system. He feels he would have no responsibility if the voting was agreed upon. Recruitment is an exec. position for our Fraternity.

So what I'm asking is, what are your experiences with voting in pledges? And how would you recommend I approach this problem? The proper procedure would be to put it to vote during chapter, but I would hate to be the one to stand up and call it to vote.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I think voting is fairly common when choosing which PNM's get bids. Usually your pledging process will weed out the ones that don't want to be fully committed to your fraternity. For those controversial PNM's, I'd say at least 10 members need to vote against giving them bids before you ball them. Numbers are key as a colony. More members, more dues coming in, the stronger off you are.

Whatever you do, please stay away from the 1 vote to ball policy. I don't really know who came up with that one, never was a good idea to me.

As for how to approach the problem, I'd talk to your Recruitment Chair, hash out a plan, and get him to call it to vote. That way he feels like he was a part of the decision.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Voting on PNMs is different per organization. I only know how ours and Phi Delts work (the latter only because of Frat Boys documentary). As chapters of your organization how they vote on PNMs.

My experience is the same as yours, I'm new to it. But I will not give out how we do it, that is secret stuff.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment can and in my opinion should still be an exec position. However your current system has what I see as a huge problem. You are letting one person shape the direction the chapter is going.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I will just say I have not heard of a system where a council of brothers (or the whole group of brothers) does not vote on potentials to become pledges.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I agree, all my friends in other chapters have a chapter-wide vote at some point in the process. The recruitment chairman does have a committee of about 5 other brothers, but he has sole authority to hand out bids.

I believe if I put the matter to vote it would pass, but I worry what the reaction of our recruitment chairman would be. As stated earlier, he is my Big and one of my best friends. However, I believe it is in the best interest of our chapter (colony for now) to put this into place. The timing is bad though, as we meet on Sundays and spring rush starts the following Monday, so it would be quite hasty.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I would run this by your advisor or someone else from the national fraternity who has been working with your colony. I would be a little surprised if the fraternity didn't already have a policy, procedure or some other sort of guidance for this.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I would run this by your advisor or someone else from the national fraternity who has been working with your colony. I would be a little surprised if the fraternity didn't already have a policy, procedure or some other sort of guidance for this.
I second this. I would be surprised if your organization's bylaws didn't spell out requirements for giving bids or initiating new members. Your colony adviser should be well-versed on this sort of stuff.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Internet Generationers, Greekchat/facebook/etc. is not the first step in organizational protocol.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=1868;2118788] There are some controversial PNM's, which have led many brothers suggesting the implementation of the fairly common voting process, where the chapter votes on members before giving bids.

Am I understanding this correctly? You are expecting a herd of guys rushing and there are some undesirables already identified. Yet it appears that you have no quality control measures in place??? Does every warm body who comes through the door automatically get a bid???

In my experience just about all the chapters at my Uni NEVER bid anyone rushing unless and until they are 100% sure they want him and he wants them. Votes are taken after every event and some, but not much, leeway for 'further consideration' is allowed. Finally, before a bid is issued the entire chapter must concur. One ball - that's all. Some may consider this a harsh policy but we are talking about a lifelong brotherhood and we are interested in brothers, not random faces in a crowd.

I have heard about fraternities which have an open membership policy [anybody who wants in gets in] but I have never actually seen one which operates in that manner. I rather thought that was something like an urban legend.

In any event, I suggest you adopt some sort of screening procedure to apply at least basic quality control or your chapter will very likely be on the road to being seen as a stagnent pool of pond life bottom feeders.
My comment is meant as a wake up call not as an insult. PM me if you want to discuss further.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1868 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I agree, all my friends in other chapters have a chapter-wide vote at some point in the process. The recruitment chairman does have a committee of about 5 other brothers, but he has sole authority to hand out bids.

I believe if I put the matter to vote it would pass, but I worry what the reaction of our recruitment chairman would be. As stated earlier, he is my Big and one of my best friends. However, I believe it is in the best interest of our chapter (colony for now) to put this into place. The timing is bad though, as we meet on Sundays and spring rush starts the following Monday, so it would be quite hasty.
Just a word: I would talk to your Big privately, before you bring up the measure to change how bids are given. Explain to him how you feel and let him defend his ideas to you. Otherwise, it's going to look like you back-stabbed him in front of everyone.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=dekeguy;2118901]
Quote:
There are some controversial PNM's, which have led many brothers suggesting the implementation of the fairly common voting process, where the chapter votes on members before giving bids.

Am I understanding this correctly? You are expecting a herd of guys rushing and there are some undesirables already identified. Yet it appears that you have no quality control measures in place??? Does every warm body who comes through the door automatically get a bid???

In my experience just about all the chapters at my Uni NEVER bid anyone rushing unless and until they are 100% sure they want him and he wants them. Votes are taken after every event and some, but not much, leeway for 'further consideration' is allowed. Finally, before a bid is issued the entire chapter must concur. One ball - that's all. Some may consider this a harsh policy but we are talking about a lifelong brotherhood and we are interested in brothers, not random faces in a crowd.

I have heard about fraternities which have an open membership policy [anybody who wants in gets in] but I have never actually seen one which operates in that manner. I rather thought that was something like an urban legend.

In any event, I suggest you adopt some sort of screening procedure to apply at least basic quality control or your chapter will very likely be on the road to being seen as a stagnent pool of pond life bottom feeders.
My comment is meant as a wake up call not as an insult. PM me if you want to discuss further.

To clarify, it is not 'open.' In the fall, there were more rushees that didn't get bids than did. The screening involves the recruitment chair and his selected committee, and certain influential members like the President also have a say.

The problem this semester is there are a few guys (out of 100+) that our recruitment chair really likes. Many brothers, however, do not feel like these would be good additions to the Fraternity. We have a limited number of bids to give out so it is beginning to cause a bit of a stir.

Recruitment chair is an appointed position (by the President) for us. He is one of the most respected brothers, but the majority disagree with him on this one. After talking with some members of exec today, we decided it is too late to successfully implement this voting process (rush week begins on Monday; first day of bids is the following Monday.) However, we have decided something needs to be addressed, and we will do so at the next chapter meeting.

Would it be wrong to suggest voting on just the most controversial members at chapter, to really show the difference in opinion between the chapter and the chairman?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Would it be wrong to suggest voting on just the most controversial members at chapter, to really show the difference in opinion between the chapter and the chairman?
Does your national fraternity have no procedures or guidance on this?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does your national fraternity have no procedures or guidance on this?
I'm sure they do; I suppose I will either contact them myself or have our recruitment chair talk to our alumni advisor. Thanks for the help all.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yes, Internet Generationers, Greekchat/facebook/etc. is not the first step in organizational protocol.
This isn't solely an intraweb kidz issue. Some GLOs' version of "colonizing" is blowing in once, picking a bunch of people, having a chartering ceremony, and then letting them figure the rest out as they go along, with little to no help. It varies GREATLY from org to org (and sometimes, campus to campus - i.e. if it's a small campus that they really don't give a shit about, they might not put as much time into it). This concept is not new in the last decade.