GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,389
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, RobertFer
» Online Users: 1,013
1 members and 1,012 guests
LaneSig

Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at a northern catholic university

Hey everyone! I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking for a few months now. I go to Duquesne University, which is a medium sized Catholic school in downtown Pittsburgh. We have deferred recruitment, and I've been preparing for it to the best of my ability since orientation. Recruitment starts in about 2 weeks. Since it's going to be extremely cold, I'm just kind of wondering what I should wear for rush? I don't think the sororities are SUPER competitive, but I want to make an impression. I'm not really a stereotypical sorority girl and I definately "march to the beat of my own drum" if you will. I want to stand out (in a positive way) against the sea of north faces and ugg boots. Any advice on how to appeal to the average "preppy" sorority sister (which is common at my school) while still maintaining my individuality?

Also, thank you so much EVERYONE for all of the advice!!! It's been extremely helpful!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 PM

I would dress in the manner that you feel comfortable.

Changing your clothing style just for recruitment is a bad idea, if that's not who you are.

Dressing like girls in sororities isn't going to be the thing that gets you a bid.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

No, of course not, that's not what I meant. I mean, it's going to be about 10 degrees outside, and my warm weather attire is pretty standard for the school. I want to find a way to not blend in with the crowd, while still looking nice and staying warm. I want to wear something that will fit with my personality, but I'm not sure how to do that while still looking put together. Does that make any more sense? I reread my original post and it doesn't say what I meant to at all. Haha, thanks again =]
Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jessipoo915
i always went with wearing what you would normally wear for the weather (like a nice sweater pants and heels) but i would do something different for the accessories. I liked to wear an interesting necklace that people always commented about (i wore a peace sign necklace that literally every house said something about) so basically pick an accessory that you think is interesting/stands out from the crowd.

my cousin went to duquesne and was in a sorority so ill try to get a hold of her for more specific info on rushing.

Good Luck!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessipoo915 View Post
i always went with wearing what you would normally wear for the weather (like a nice sweater pants and heels) but i would do something different for the accessories. I liked to wear an interesting necklace that people always commented about (i wore a peace sign necklace that literally every house said something about) so basically pick an accessory that you think is interesting/stands out from the crowd.
I second that. My school in Western Washington had deferred recruitment too. Whoever thought to have actives and PNMs standing outside in the middle of wind storm/rain season was seriously misguided! But I digress. Definitely wear clothing that you're comfy in. If it's anything like my school the houses will take your coat at the door, so you won't be wearing it throughout the party, and a signature accessory that represents you as a person or has special meaning to you is a great way to be remembered, and is a great conversation starter if an active asks about it. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so so much! The accessory idea sounds perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessipoo915 View Post
my cousin went to duquesne and was in a sorority so ill try to get a hold of her for more specific info on rushing.
Thank you! Again! Ha, I feel like I'm saying that a lot.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

During rush orientation, the Pi Chi's will put on a "fashion show" which will give you some ideas on what to wear to each of the parties. I second what was mentioned before -- don't alter your style just for recruitment! At Duquesne we have 7 very different sororities so there will be one for you, don't worry!

Also I agree with wearing an accessory or piece of clothing that makes it easy for you to stand out in our minds!

Congratulations on making the decision to rush. You won't regret it!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Perfect, thanks!!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as your outfits are the appropriate level of dressiness for your school, warm enough, and not too tight/short/low cut/transparent, you can wear whatever you want.

I saw a PNM last spring during round 2 who was wearing a casual Urban Outfitters type dress with opaque tights, flats, and a necklace with a large pendant. Other PNMs will wear khakis with pastel striped oxfords. Both are appropriate.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

P.S. perfSKtion, come introduce yourself in the SK forum!

Last edited by violetpretty; 01-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM

On behalf of all fashion forward Pittsburghers, I want to thank you for spurning Uggs. ha ha. Good luck during rush!

p.s. If you're not from Pgh and you haven't discovered them yet, there are some awesome vintage stores around here if that's how you roll.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

The first school I rushed at had deferred recruitment and snow on the ground. I would recommend either really cute boots or bringing a change of shoes. Actually, go for the change of shoes, I did that this time around (when it was still fairly warm) and it saved me from what would have been nasty blisters.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Wear sensible shoes! Not necessarily flats, but if you choose heals wear the ones that are most comfortable and you can manage in the snow and on your hilly campus. Sliding down a hill on your bum or constantly wincing because your feet hurt won't make the best impression.

Other than that - good luck! I did my master's at Pitt but had a friend who went to Duquesne Law so I spent a lot of study time there!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
On behalf of all fashion forward Pittsburghers, I want to thank you for spurning Uggs. ha ha. Good luck during rush!

p.s. If you're not from Pgh and you haven't discovered them yet, there are some awesome vintage stores around here if that's how you roll.
haha I am definately guilty of owning uggs, but I don't want to wear them for rush. and yeah I'm from pittsburgh, but I have yet to find any vintage shops that are actually in my price range (think poor college kid). where are they? I'm a vintage fiend, seriously.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM

The one my friend goes to all the time is Yesterday's News - it's in the 1400 block of East Carson on the South Side. I think their prices are relatively cheap. It's mostly 70s - 80s stuff. Also the Goodwill down at the other end of Carson is huge and has tons of stuff.

I love Eons, but the prices are a bit much for some things and also people were so itty bitty back then I can't fit in 3/4 of the stuff they carry. Not that I am a hippo but I'm not that small either.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I've seen Yesterday's News, but I never actually got to go in. I have to make a trip down into the south side anyway, so maybe I'll stop. ha, we've gotten way way off topic. is there anything else I should know going into recruitment?