GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,980
1 members and 1,979 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxel View Post
Well...I am interested in racial compostion because, like i explained before, grew up having MOSTLY white friends which has to do with meshing well with a chapter. Goals of that chapter will come into view as i get to know them. If I didn't mention i was black i would of gotten different responses and wouldn't be in this discussion.

am I wrong?
Correct. If you said you were black and wanted to join a fraternity people would have told you about BGLOs. If you said you wanted to rush a fraternity at Bama and didn't mention race you would have gotten the tiers and a lecture about how selective the old row houses are. As it is, aside from the criticism, you're actually getting responses that fit your situation. The only honest criticism I could see is to call them IFC fraternities and not white fraternities. Not sure what the big deal is all about here.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Stop talking.

Your stupidity annoys me.
I am rubber, you are glue.
I know you are but what am I?
Blah blah blah.

Finish high school, get good grades, stop worrying about your race.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
As a sincere Senusret fan, this post entertained me.

Ax, be yourself. Shake hands. Look people in the eyes. You'll do fine kid. Hope to be invited to join the group that you mesh with the best...regardless of if they are Old Row or not (for that matter, regardless if they are "white" or not).

Some of the most fun times I had in college were with the HBGLOs. :-) And I'm a white chick...who had mostly white friends.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone(including Senusret) for advice.

This thread was fun.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well...I am interested in racial compostion because, like i explained before, grew up having MOSTLY white friends which has to do with meshing well with a chapter. Goals of that chapter will come into view as i get to know them. If I didn't mention i was black i would of gotten different responses and wouldn't be in this discussion.

am I wrong?
I spent the majority of my childhood in predominantly white neighborhoods as well, so I understand where you're coming from. But with something as big as Greek membership, I would hope you'd look for more than just "Hey, I'm around white people!" when making your decision. You can get a broad overview of the goals/missions of different organizations by talking to people or visiting their websites.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Stop talking.

Your stupidity annoys me.
Perhaps you wouldn't find it so annoying if you'd actually read what he said. He didn't label you a "black guy who wants to join a white fraternity". He said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Most importantly (to me) -- why is joining a "white fraternity" in particular a goal of yours? It just seems odd -- not because you're black, but because it sounds like you're one of those annoying black guys who voted for Hillary Clinton just to be different.
He didn't label you, he informed you how your post was coming across. "Thanks for the heads up" was the appropriate response from you.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to Alabama and my advice to you is to try sigma pi. They are the only (ifc) fraternity that has black members. Also try Delta Tau Delta. Old Row might be a little bit out of the question. Seeing when you posted this it was already after pledgeship started so i woud try and rush in the spring and if not there is always next fall.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer11 View Post
I go to Alabama and my advice to you is to try sigma pi. They are the only (ifc) fraternity that has black members. Also try Delta Tau Delta. Old Row might be a little bit out of the question. Seeing when you posted this it was already after pledgeship started so i woud try and rush in the spring and if not there is always next fall.
Absolutely no comment.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

My questions may be a little premature since my son has another year before college, but this thread is up now so...
Can anyone tell me what an entering freshman will need to do to prep for IFC Recruitment at Alabama? We are in Texas and don't have contacts in any of the Fraternities there (a couple of distant contacts in Sororities if that helps). My son is a legacy to one Old Row Fraternity and his uncle is an alumna to a second Old Row Fraternity, but neither attended UA. Will these contacts help? Should DH & Uncle try to submit DS's name prior to recruitment, or will this hurt more than help? We are trying to plan ahead and any info is appreciated.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Did they go to a school similar to UA?

If not, just judging by what's been said on here, I'm guessing submitting his name isn't going to do squat.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDEEGEE View Post
My questions may be a little premature since my son has another year before college, but this thread is up now so...
Can anyone tell me what an entering freshman will need to do to prep for IFC Recruitment at Alabama? We are in Texas and don't have contacts in any of the Fraternities there (a couple of distant contacts in Sororities if that helps). My son is a legacy to one Old Row Fraternity and his uncle is an alumna to a second Old Row Fraternity, but neither attended UA. Will these contacts help? Should DH & Uncle try to submit DS's name prior to recruitment, or will this hurt more than help? We are trying to plan ahead and any info is appreciated.
Okay. Disregard anything about legacies in this situation. It likely won't matter unless your husband/uncle donates alot of money to the chapter before rush. Heck, out of chapter legacies don't even matter here.

Your son needs to make it to the pre-rush parties during the summer, if he can. That would be his best bet.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaDeltaDelta
This is why I love universal transfer. If I had a son who wanted to join my fraternity anywhere, his father would be an alumnus at that Alpha, and every other Alpha. It makes sense if someone's father was in a fraternity, regardless of whether it was at that chapter, that he should be strongly considered.

Gravitas.Pietas.Dignitas.Iustitia
Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Your son needs to make it to the pre-rush parties during the summer, if he can. That would be his best bet.
I had pretty much guessed this, but how would he get invited to any of them if we don't know anyone in any of the Fraternities?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDEEGEE View Post
I ould first visit this site:
http://www.greeklife.ua.edu/
They can get you in contact with all the fraternities. One person above me said summer rush parties. The only problem with that is almost all the rush parties are done by then. For example our first party is at the end of feb. What i am trying to get at is most fraternities start doing alot about mid to late feb. so try and get some names or different fraternities social chairs names so that they can give you all of their info about their upcomming rish parties. Sorry this was alot and hopfulyl made some sense. good luck and if you have any questions feel free to message me. When i get back to school on the 5 i can defently get you some info if needed.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDeltaDelta View Post
This is why I love universal transfer. If I had a son who wanted to join my fraternity anywhere, his father would be an alumnus at that Alpha, and every other Alpha. It makes sense if someone's father was in a fraternity, regardless of whether it was at that chapter, that he should be strongly considered.
Theoretically, everyone's works that way (to my knowledge). Ours technically does. But legacies don't mean much when you're not from our chapter. We're not getting any alumni funding from your dad most likely. Funding is one of the main reasons we even consider legacies whatsoever.