GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,312
2 members and 2,310 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 08-26-2001, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I wouldn't want a huge rock. I don't sit here and think about what kind of engagement ring I want to have because when the time comes, I'm sure I'll be happy with anything.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Wine&Blue --
Congratulations!!!
Old 08-26-2001, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My ring is a 1 carat heart-shaped diamond with a 5-prong setting. It is set in a .5 carat channel set band divided into 16 small diamonds. It is also yellow gold.

The only request I had of my husband when he began ring shopping is that it be a heart-shaped diamond because you don't see them as often.
Old 08-26-2001, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Miami1839
Does the size of a stone really matter to a girl. In terms of how she feels about her man?

Kevin
I don't think it does personally, however I know some girls who would disagree.
My district manager's daughter wanted her husband to buy the biggest diamond he could afford. She reasoned that the bigger the investment, the more likely he would remain faithful and committed. I suppose one could rationalize it that way, but I also look at these couple's who have been married for ages...and most of those women don't have but a quarter carat diamond. So...no. It shouldn't matter.
Hootie
Old 08-26-2001, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wine&Blue
Mine is one carat in a platinum setting and I just got it TODAY!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS
Old 08-26-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

SSS1365 and Hootie,

Thats cool. I was just curious. I guess it depends on the girl. I suppose I could see how a girl could rationalize why a bigger diamond would determine how faithful he is. I just wanted to see some womens viewpoints on it. I figure its the thought that counts.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2001, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ees125
I have always been of the opinion, that size is not an issue, as stated before...I just know I'd love any ring I got, as long as it was from the man I loved. I've had guy friends say they are worried about their girlfriend not liking th ring...I have always told them that if she loves you, she'll be more excited about the question you just asked rather than the ring you put on her finger...
Old 08-27-2001, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

This is my ring--I get the wedding band in 5 weeks!

Last edited by mgdzkm433; 08-27-2001 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2001, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Congatulations!

Ok, I may be out of line here, so let me take cover but . . .

Isn't the guy just supposed to pick the ring himself and present it in such a way that its a surprise? I grew up watching old movies and that's the way they did it in them . . . You never saw, insert-leading-man-here, go shopping for the ring with her, or give it to her when she was totally expecting it! Where's the romantic surprise in that?

Otherwise shouldn't you just propose using an empty ring box containing a gift certificate for 3.5 months salary to a jewelry store?

Oh . . .

I once read: "when the issue is in doubt, the size of the rock can tip the scales in your favor."

And . . .

One of the coolest things I remember hearing about this guy that proposed through a puzzle game that they were playing. I forget all the deatails of the game but when she figured out the words they spelled out "will you marry me?" supposedly she was in tears because she couldn't find the final "e" . . . LOL.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wine&Blue
Mine is one carat in a platinum setting and I just got it TODAY!!!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Hootie and valkyrie and James!

James, no size does not matter, and if it determines whether a girl say yes or no, then she is probably too superficial to actually appreciate the importance and significance of marriage and shouldn't be getting married to begin with. Just my 2 cents. However, my fiance did take me ring shopping several months ago, so that he would have an idea of what I like, not so I could say my ring has to be x carats or I am not marrying you. He knew I would say yes, even if he gave me a plastic ring out of a cracker jack box. And even though I've known for weeks that it was coming, the way that it was presented was a TOTAL surprise. (I don't care how prepared you think you are or how much you know it's coming, when he wakes you up out of a deep sleep to ask, you can't POSSIBLY be ready! )
Old 08-29-2001, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Wine and Blue,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now we can have a virtual candlepassing for you! Let's imagine that we and AngelsandArrows and Erniegurl00 and any other Pi Phis on the board are standing in a circle. Ready?

If her heart is true,
If her colors are wine and blue,
If her eyes seem to shine like the arrow she wears-
Waiting for someone like you--
Then your dreams can start
With the magic that dreams impart,
For at last you'll be certain and sure that she's
Your Pi Beta Phi girl,Your Pi Phi sweetheeeaaarrrtttt!!!!
Old 11-25-2001, 02:38 PM

Any of you ladies expecting a ring under the tree this year???
Old 11-25-2001, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

not that i am in any way expecting or wanting a ring (considering that i don't have a bf) - but i think this is the time of the year i would least want to get engaged. its too expected - everyone does it now. plus, i have enough holiday parties/gatherings and stress to want to add to it with an engagement party or the liking.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I was getting one this year! Anyway, my ideal ring is as follows:

yellow gold band (all my other stuff is gold and it looks good on me)

larger princess cut center stone, two princess side stones.

I think enough of our friends know what I want so if he gets the notion, he could find out.

I have to say that I don't care about size. As long as it's coming from him, I don't care. (although I'd prefer that it didn't come out of a vending machine )
Old 11-25-2001, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My now-hubby surprised me 2 weeks before my bday b/c he knew that I was expecting it then, but since my bday is on Halloween, we were having overnight guests.

He surprised me with a nice solitare but I hated it! Finally the next morning, I said "I have something to tell you..don't take this personally but....I don't like my ring". He was great about it. I explained that although I used to like the idea of a solitare, I bump my hands alot and a solitare wouldn't be practical..so we went and got a ring I love!! I guess you would call it an anniversary band, it has 6 diamonds (no idea on size) with an s in between the stones.

I was going to use it as my engagement/wedding ring, but decided what to get what I call my "play-in-the-dirt" wedding ring..just a plain band. I was on a wedding chatline (www.theknot.com) and other brides starting talking about "playin the dirt" ring!! lol

Hubby just walked in, I don't want him to see the part about hating the ring, lol..night!