GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,265
4 members and 1,261 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib, JayhawkAOII

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I both a professional fraternity and a social fraternity?

I was looking at joining a professnal aviation fraternity, alpha eta rho. However, next semester, I would like to join a social fraternity like alpha tau omega or phi delta theta. Will it be possible to join one of those social fraternities next semester if i am already a member of alpha eta rho, a professional fraternity?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Sure, yes.
GreekChat Member

Technically, you can't be a fraternity.

But for your question, yes you can be in both.
GreekChat Member

Yes.

You can be a member of both a pre-professional or service fraternity AND a social fraternity. You can't join two social fraternities.

Example: So while you can be a member of both Sigma Chi (social) and Alpha Phi Omega (service), you can't join both Sigma Chi (social) and Alpha Tau Omega (social).
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

In most cases, yes, you may. However, you'll want to make sure there are no prohibitions against dual membership for either organization. Additionally, you will need to assess the time obligations for both. In some cases, professional fraternities require a great amount of time only intermittently (certain times of year) but leave plenty of room for additional activities such as a social Greek organization or club. In other situations, the professional org will keep you hopping throughout the year, so an additional membership will really tax you. .

I am a member of a professional organization in education, and we were CRAZY BUSY in the spring as we prepared for initiation and conferences. The rest of the year our activities were well spaced and required minimal time, so I just needed to be careful how I scheduled things during the busy times.

Good luck. Enjoy your experience.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
In most cases, yes, you may. However, you'll want to make sure there are no prohibitions against dual membership for either organization. Additionally, you will need to assess the time obligations for both.
Quoted for emphasis.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

No, some have rules that you cannot be in both. You need to ask the specific organization. My daughter wanted to be in both and was told by Sigma Alpha (professional) that if she attended Formal Rush and accepted a bid she could not join them. Strange thing about them was they did not participate in Panhellenic rush they had a recruitment week the following week. My daughter choose the social route but her roommate choose the Professional thinking it would help her later on. She went though Rush but turned down her bid to my daughter house. The next week she went to Sigma Alpha events. She was told she had to attend 2 events of 4 and because of classes she missed one event. She then didn't receive a bid and was devastated! She had given up a top tier house to be turned down by a group of 25 girls. No idea who as she had a high GPA and in Honors, very involved professionally and had recieved numerous leadership and professional scholarships. The only had 3 girls they didn't give bids to. So be aware you can think something is a sure thing and it not turn out.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

You seem to be hung up on "top tier."
Hmm.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktduke View Post
No, some have rules that you cannot be in both. You need to ask the specific organization. My daughter wanted to be in both and was told by Sigma Alpha (professional) that if she attended Formal Rush and accepted a bid she could not join them. Strange thing about them was they did not participate in Panhellenic rush they had a recruitment week the following week. My daughter choose the social route but her roommate choose the Professional thinking it would help her later on. She went though Rush but turned down her bid to my daughter house. The next week she went to Sigma Alpha events. She was told she had to attend 2 events of 4 and because of classes she missed one event. She then didn't receive a bid and was devastated! She had given up a top tier house to be turned down by a group of 25 girls. No idea who as she had a high GPA and in Honors, very involved professionally and had recieved numerous leadership and professional scholarships. The only had 3 girls they didn't give bids to. So be aware you can think something is a sure thing and it not turn out.
So very, very little in life is "a sure thing".