GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,391
1 members and 2,390 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Oh I don't disagree. It is just kind of funny to me. There is so much emphasis on looks, and I can just imagine the creative ways PNMs might try to stand out while wearing the same shirts. I also think a lot of PNMs are probably disappointed that they can't dress to impress. I think it's a step in the right direction, which surprises me because the director of Greek Life, well, let's just say I'm surprised he would have/support a bright idea like that.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
The last sorority to colonize (before AOII) came on in 1989 and took quota for the first time last year. It is a tough campus.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I view that sorority as a traditional Southern powerhouse with gigantic, sought-after chapters at other SEC schools. If it was that hard a battle for that group to be embraced on campus, it would be even tougher for most other NPCs.
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I view that sorority as a traditional Southern powerhouse with gigantic, sought-after chapters at other SEC schools. If it was that hard a battle for that group to be embraced on campus, it would be even tougher for most other NPCs.
Yes, I would agree with that, and the other "struggling" chapter (not including the brand new chapter) is also a very strong southern group. It is just a very tough campus. There are 2 chapters all the PNMs seem to want, 3 others they will accept, 2 that are virtually unacceptable, and now the unproven new one.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The girls narrowed their choice to 4 houses tonight. UNFORTUNATELY, they have to wait until next Saturday to find out what houses they were invited back to.
In my opinion, this is alot to ask of both the PNMs and the actives. The PNMs are expected to concentrate on their classes, homework, etc. all week all the while wondering (fretting) who has invited them back. I know there is a learning curve the first year of change, but I would hope that the UA Panhellenic might reconsider the 2 weekend recruitment schedule.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Are they afraid if they gave them their invites too far ahead of the parties that more girls would drop out?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

UGAalum94-
If the University wants a deferred recruitment, that's fine, just don't prolong it over 2 weekends with 5 days of waiting and wondering for the PNMs. That's 5 days of
"what if...." Maybe the UA could have started recruitment the day after Labor Day with Bid Day Sunday or Monday. I just think it would be hard to wait all week to know your results. These are simply my thoughts.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM

I think it also creates a prime environment for dirty rushing - something already a problem on that campus. I am sure they did do it to prevent girls from dropping out, but maybe in the future they could let the girls know on Sunday, but not allow them to drop out until Friday, giving the PNMs several days to digest their invitations and come to terms with them.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

When I rushed at Arkansas, they had rush for sophomores and up only--making all of freshman year prime territory for dirty rushing. It was really bad.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue E. Pig View Post
UGAalum94-
If the University wants a deferred recruitment, that's fine, just don't prolong it over 2 weekends with 5 days of waiting and wondering for the PNMs. That's 5 days of
"what if...." Maybe the UA could have started recruitment the day after Labor Day with Bid Day Sunday or Monday. I just think it would be hard to wait all week to know your results. These are simply my thoughts.
I may be taking your point wrong, but I wasn't advocating for deferred recruiting or waiting. I was just trying to figure out why they made them wait. It was a sincere question.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I am sure they did do it to prevent girls from dropping out, but maybe in the future they could let the girls know on Sunday, but not allow them to drop out until Friday, giving the PNMs several days to digest their invitations and come to terms with them.
This sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 PM

I understood what you were saying (I know you were directing that at Sue E.) I don't know if my suggestion would actually work - I don't know if you can put off dropping out or not. I think their intentions were good, but they show a lack of understanding of how major this is in the lives of the women involved.

I am so grateful my school did recruitment before classes started (they don't anymore though). I have no idea how anyone onvolved on either side can concentrate on school with formal recruitment going on.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Oh - the previous discussion about numbers - it was 800 PNMs give or take. I haven't heard about drop outs yet.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Irishpipes,
SC Panhellenic is doing almost the same schedule with a slight difference. Recruitment began last weekend through Labor Day and resumed on Friday evening. That makes four days with both the actives and pnms sharing classes and meeting on campus. Preference and Bid Evening are today.
Apparently, the bid lists were submitted late to Panhellenic and may make the 8:00 Bid Party time much later. Classes resume tomorrow after an emotional and exciting Sunday. In my opinion this schedule is a land mine of potential problems. Let us hope it all works out for the ten NPC chapters.
What are your thoughts?
Fan
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 PM

Well, I think that sounds crazy. How will those new members at SC go to class tomorrow? Totally exhausted? (I guess they have taken most of the fun out of bid day anymore so maybe it isn't as bad as it would have been in my day. Ha ha)

Seriously though, from what I've heard SC is also a big, competitive rush and that is really asking a lot of everyone involved. If we are serious about girls being in college to get an education, we shouldn't have the largest distraction from school interfere with that - especially when there are no excuses for missing recruitment events. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter has an amazing ability to focus so she's been able to concentrate on the big first exams she's having this week. She says many of the girls, however, cannot keep their mind on studies this week. They're going 5-6 days without knowing results from this past weekend's round. It also sounds like a little dirty rushing is taking place.