GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,047
2 members and 1,045 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I've only ever once asked for something in a bridesmaid dress, and that was that (for a casual wedding, naturally), that the dresses be short and not satin so that I didn't die of heat exhaustion over Labor Day weekend.

The dresses were lovely.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea what to put on this wedding website. I don't know why my florist isn't contacting me back about flowers, and I don't have a bakery for a cake.
This is getting to be super stressful. And I still have six months to go.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

It should seriously be required for brides to take a course on how to communicate with potential vendors.

Example: It is exceedingly rude to email about someone's pricing and when provided with it, respond with "why is it so expensive?"

Also, my new fave thing: The "I like this Lazaro gown but can't afford it, so I'm going to have my mom/sister/amateur seamstress/someone I found in China on the internet make it! It's like the same thing" bride.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-01-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
A very good friend of mine is in her brother's wedding soon.

A recent email from the bride (her future SIL) denoted that maids will be lined up "skinny to fat."

Yes, really.
Can we start a GC pool on how many maids drop out?

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Can we start a GC pool on how many maids drop out?
Are people that desperate to be bridesmaids that they'll take this kind of abuse?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Also, my new fave thing: The "I like this Lazaro gown but can't afford it, so I'm going to have my mom/sister/amateur seamstress/someone I found in China on the internet make it! It's like the same thing" bride.

Isn't this why you aren't allowed to take pictures in many dress shops?

Personally, I would have done that if I'd seen an outrageously expensive gown style that I liked and my grandma had still been alive. She made custom wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses frequently and her work was beautiful. I really can't see why anybody would spend what some people spend on a dress you will wear one time.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post

Personally, I would have done that if I'd seen an outrageously expensive gown style that I liked and my grandma had still been alive. She made custom wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses frequently and her work was beautiful. I really can't see why anybody would spend what some people spend on a dress you will wear one time.
But couldn't you just go on the internet and find the dress? Wait...I've been to a few dress shops that have removed the tags on the samples so you can't find the designer elsewhere. Goons!

I don't find the dress issue objectionable. My mom can sew really well, and she's definitely made some of my ballgowns and prom dresses over the years. If I found a dress that was outrageously expensive, there's no question that I'd ask my mom to work some magic. More money for the open bar!!!

I've also had friends who ordered custom dresses from China for events and they've worked for one or two-time wear.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they do remove the tags on the samples so you can't look for the same dress elsewhere.

I should qualify my remarks because I did have two weddings.. one large and formal and one sorta large but more casual. If there's anything I've ever regretted spending money on, it was my weddings. Total waste of hard earned money. But, I didn't have any student loans so... lol. (yes, I said that)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

For anyone looking to brighten their day, www.howheasked.com features a new proposal story each day - it's addicting and aw-inducing
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

I don't find the dress issue objectionable. My mom can sew really well, and she's definitely made some of my ballgowns and prom dresses over the years. If I found a dress that was outrageously expensive, there's no question that I'd ask my mom to work some magic.

I've also had friends who ordered custom dresses from China for events and they've worked for one or two-time wear.

Maybe I'm just not seeing any "my mom made it" dresses that look comparable to the original because their parents or overseas seamstresses are not as awesome in the sewing dept like your mom might be.

Like, I've seen some "my mom sewed this" gowns that look like they belong on Regretsy.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-02-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not seeing any "my mom made it" dresses that look comparable to the original because their parents or overseas seamstresses are not as awesome in the sewing dept like your mom might be.

Like, I've seen some "my mom sewed this" gowns that look like they belong on Regretsy.
Totally legitimate point. But there are seamstresses that can take a design and make it look just as lovely as one of the designer gowns...just don't expect to pay a few hundred bucks (a quality made gown will cost you)! I had mine made by a professional dress maker (her specialty is lace). It wasn't so much the cost of a designer gown, but since I'm 5'1, with odd measurements, I didn't even bother looking at any bridal shops, I went straight to the dress maker.

Sorry the pic is small...damn FB!!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the back

Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post

I wasn't allowed to take pics at one "high end" salon here, (but my consultant took a picture of me in my fave to show my mom) but the tags were in full view. I have seen a lot of really good replica gowns from a certain Chinese bridal retailer, their quality is impressive. I really don't get spending a ridiculous amount of money on something that you'll be wearing once for 12-14 hours tops, but to each their own.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Slight tangent, but all this talk about about sewing makes me want to learn how to sew. My mom sews (though she hasn't in a very long time!) She hand made all my costumes as a kid (I thought this was the norm for all kids through most of my childhood lol) and made one of my prom dresses. It was one of those Jessica McClintock licensed patterns through Simplicity. It came out really nice!

But the sewing/crafting talent in the family is my aunt. She's phenomenal! For example, my cousin (her daughter) was in a wedding and the dress was from David's. If you're unfamiliar, David's dresses are made to fit those who are 5'7'' and under and only certain dresses can be added with extra length. My cousin is 5'10'' and it just so happens that the dress the bride ordered could not be ordered with length. They discovered the length issue once the dresses were in. her dress was awkwardly just slightly above her ankles, so she couldn't even just go with flats. My aunt just whipped up a new dress for her from scratch, and it looked like all the other dresses--No one noticed the difference.

She's also made veils, garters, jewelry for TONS of weddings including mine:

The pic doesn't do it justice...the headband is completely filled with beading and crystals to where you can't see the fabric.

Anywho, I guess all I'm trying to say is I wish I could sew lol I've got a talented mom and aunt on the other side of the family...and I apparently did not get those genes!!

/derail
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

You may have gotten those genes. Ask them to teach you Or take a class. I love being able to sew and wish I had more time to do it. The more you do it, the better you get at it!