GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 757
0 members and 757 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

/hijack-rant/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
Winston's antics will cost him money (draft position). But if he doesn't wind up in jail, he'll likely get drafted in a later round. It happens every year -- somebody drops (based on rumors, for whatever reason), and the drafting team gets a "steal" if he pans out.

If Winston's not drafted (unlikely), he's a free agent who get to pick what team he thinks best fits his talents. There are always coaches who think they can "fix" players, and make them productive in their systems.
As a life time Houston Oilers -> Houston Texans / Houston Rockets / Houston Astros fan, I've learned that draft positions are meaningless when it comes to making a winning team.

/end hijack-rant/
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

On every NFL scout (& reporter/analyst who covers the NFL) rating sheet for each player, there is a column for "Stupid Off-The-Field Issues". Winston is filling up that column quickly.

I tell college players that each checkmark in that column is like losing (at least) 6 digits (of dollars) in your initial contract. Multiple that by the checkmarks. How much money are you losing when you get to the NFL?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
/hijack-rant/

As a life time Houston Oilers -> Houston Texans / Houston Rockets / Houston Astros fan, I've learned that draft positions are meaningless when it comes to making a winning team.

/end hijack-rant/
Not sure I get (or agree) with your point here. Besides, the Rockets won an NBA Title in '94. ....Olijuwon and the "Dream Shake." Remember?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not sure I get (or agree) with your point here. Besides, the Rockets won an NBA Title in '94. ....Olijuwon and the "Dream Team." Remember?
Yeah....in the late '90's and early 2000's Houston teams were great.

Lately, not so much. Last couple of years the Houston Astros have been at the bottom.

Last season the Houston Texans were 2-14. So far they are like 3-3, which I guess I can't complain since this season Texans have done better than last season.

Each year the head coaches of these teams promise us fans that they are rebuilding the team. Great. It just seems like the teams have been rebuilding now for about the last 10 years....

We get these high draft picks, like Jadaveon Clowney, but they don't seem to have a huge impact / improvement for the team.

Or, maybe these high draft picks aren't worth their hype.

When Demeco Ryans left the Texans for the Eagles, I thought that was a weird move, but that season the Eagles made it farther than the Texans. I assume that Demeco saw the writing on the wall early on.

Yes, I remember Olijuwon from his UH 'Phi Slamma Jamma' days.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

J. Clowney got hurt in his first game. You have to give him a chance.

JJ Watt was the 11th pick overall. He seems to be working out ok.

Some picks will turn out better than others.

...I totally forgot what this has to do with Jaemis Winston, you'll have to clarify.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
J. Clowney got hurt in his first game. You have to give him a chance.
Okay

Quote:

JJ Watt was the 11th pick overall. He seems to be working out ok.
Finally!!!

Quote:
Some picks will turn out better than others.
True.

Quote:
...I totally forgot what this has to do with Jaemis Winston, you'll have to clarify.
If you notice I momentarily hijacked the thread to complain about draft picks in general (but specifically referring to Houston teams) when someone mentioned that Jameis will probably go towards the end of the draft pick due to his behavior.

My rant had nothing to do with Jameis directly.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I think part of Winston's problem is that he's just not that bright. He needs a chaperone because he makes poor decisions and lacks good judgement. People have always done things for him so he has no idea how to think for himself.
^This is why he'll do great in the NFL. Ha! Sorry, I had to. I'm more or less making fun of the stupid NFL politics than I am of the actual player. I remember reading something about the NFL getting mad at a player for wearing a particular type of headphones because they do not endorse the NFL. The NFL likes to pick and choose when to have morals. Having said that, if this Winston player is really all that good, he'll have a job in the NFL waiting for him.