GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,766
0 members and 2,766 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

2nd degree and membership?

I know someone that has already graduated with a bachelors, but is considering going back for an additional degree then a masters. During his first undergrad experience, he didnt have the funds to join a fraternity. This time around, he would. He'll be 24, which isn't much older then the average ages.

I don't know what the IFC rules are regarding this? Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It's really more an issue with the individual fraternities rather than the IFC. I would think most organizations would look favorably upon grad students as new initiates, mine would (Theta Chi.)

I did not join until I was a second semester Junior and had a great experience.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Many times age is not the real problem, but how long you plan to be in school.

Why, because they are interested in the length of time you will be there to participate.

At 24, I and others do not look at you old, but then some of teh 18 year old ones may. But, each chapter is not only 18 year olds!

Your experience could be valuable for them!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IBelieve1897
Our president will be 27 during his senior year
Old 12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
In Fall 2006, we had a guy who was 29. He had dropped out of high school, joined the army, done special forces, blew out his knees, and the army sent him to GMU for some medical training so he could be a medic. He wanted the fraternity experience and considered it a challenge.

He tried some other groups but they told him he wouldn't fit in. When he came to us, we said "sure--we're pretty diverse anyway."

We don't see him too often because he's married and is expecting a child very soon--but he has a great GPA and pays his dues. I think he's glad he did it, but there's definitely a maturity gap with many of the undergrads.

The point is that our IFC has no restrictions and I don't think they ever could regarding age--only credit hours per semester.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a guy on the board, that is in his mid 30s, and he is an undergrad. Can't remember his screen name, but he goes to Cleveland State Univ.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Like stated above, it would really depend on the organization itself. What is at issue is NOT the age, but the fact that a Bachelor's degree has already been conferred. In my fraternity, having a Bachelor's means that you are only eligible for membership in an alumni chapter.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I know someone that has already graduated with a bachelors, but is considering going back for an additional degree then a masters. During his first undergrad experience, he didnt have the funds to join a fraternity. This time around, he would. He'll be 24, which isn't much older then the average ages.

I don't know what the IFC rules are regarding this? Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks!
There are no IFC rules on this.

It depends on the organization. Just tell your friend to go through rush, and be honest about his situation. Even if the IFC organizations have rules against it, many chapters will ignore those sorts of rules.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-28-2007, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a brother who came back for a 2nd degree and is in his late 30s. He was even a Grand Scribe at one point when we first colonized, but has taken a less active role, because he is studying very hard. He's also married, and his wife is a wonderful host. I remember on my 21st birthday, they held a BBQ at his house and his wife baked me a cupcake with a candle in it.

For us, the biggest issue isn't age or degree status, but whether or not he will be a ghost brother or is simply paying the dues to have access to benefits (more of an issue with the younger people) and is ignoring the responsibility being a Greek entails.

Thomas
Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that there aren't any real rules regarding this. It's ultimately up to the individual chapter. I'll be starting a post-baccalaureate program this fall which will require me to take additional coursework prior to starting the graduate material since my intended masters is in a field other than my bachelors, so I may end up getting a 2nd BS en route to my masters. Although in my case I joined my fraternity during my first undergraduate program.