GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,524
0 members and 1,524 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay. Love the input. Though some of it is mislead. I would like to note that I said I was going to play devil's advocate. I believe everyone was playing nice with the girl in the other thread. You may have not liked my comment, but it's the other side of the argument.

Back to this thread. I know about the process of NPC - They've already approached the right people and on the right track. The comment that was given from MY ADMINISTRATION was the fact that though there might be some interest on campus. KKG is a sorority that they are not extremely familiar with.

ALSO! Just so we can clear some of the air of sexism...I (as a gay man) am not interested in ever dating a sorority girl. K thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

If you all have already approached the appropriate people, you should have been told next steps.

As others have stated, you don't just pick which GLO you want at your school. The school has to be open for expansion and the organization has to decide whether or not it wants to come to your school. You can get all the KKG information in the world, but if the group is not interested in your school, it's not going to happen.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
If you all have already approached the appropriate people, you should have been told next steps.

As others have stated, you don't just pick which GLO you want at your school. The school has to be open for expansion and the organization has to decide whether or not it wants to come to your school. You can get all the KKG information in the world, but if the group is not interested in your school, it's not going to happen.
WHY ARE PEOPLE RESTATING THE OBVIOUS!
This topic was meant to gain information about KKG. Traditions, Philanthropy involvement, and other things that these girls do.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
This topic was meant to gain information about KKG. Traditions, Philanthropy involvement, and other things that these girls do.
THE OBVIOUS CHOICE IS GOING TO THEIR WEBSITE

But if you bring up a topic on a message board, you're going to get responses. Take what you're given and keep it moving.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yet you persist.

Quote:
www.kappakappagamma.org

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.

The organizations on your campus are fabulous. They have strong traditions and wonderful philanthropies. I'd also be willing to assert that on the whole, they do lots of the same things that Kappas do.

Sounds like a case of women who didn't get bids to the group they wanted.

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it the schools Panhellenic or the Dean of Students(/equivalent) who get the final say? Obviously if the school says no extension, it really doesn't matter what the Local Panhellenic does, but has anyone seen a situation where the Dean of Students would like to have additional NPC sororities on campus but the existing NPC chapters have a majority vote against expansion? (and what happens then?)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks guys. I love all of the first hand responses. it's cool.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.

The organizations on your campus are fabulous. They have strong traditions and wonderful philanthropies. I'd also be willing to assert that on the whole, they do lots of the same things that Kappas do.

Sounds like a case of women who didn't get bids to the group they wanted.
The harsh truth is that this may be a bit accurate (now that I think about it)
but if she pursues the expansion then I am going to still help out the best I can.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I would strongly suggest she work within the system she's got. We try to tell girls this over and over again, but if she has a group of friends who want to start a sorority and there's a sorority that is struggling for members, if they all joined that sorority both problems would be solved. That is of course assuming the sorority WANTED all those girls, but I think you get the point. A small chapter can change its persona pretty quickly with the addition of a handful of strong pledges. And being too good for any of these excellent sororities is short-sighted.

If you want to build your reputation as a leader among Panhellenic circles, work on that. If you can play a role in achieving parity at this campus that would be something to be proud of.

Try reading this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=37621

Last edited by DubaiSis; 01-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I was simply going to ask, how many of these women have gone through recruitment with the groups that exist now? How many dropped out, at what rounds, did any receive bids, why did they decline them, etc? If none have been through recruitment, maybe they don't know what they're missing. If some have and were sour grapes about the results, I just don't know if that's going to add positively to Panhellenic unity and pride no matter what (if any sorority) does colonize.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
I wasn't trying to throw shade on the chapters with my comment. I was just trying to say that if a campus needed a new organization, there wouldn't be that many informal recruitment opportunities.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I wasn't trying to throw shade on the chapters with my comment. I was just trying to say that if a campus needed a new organization, there wouldn't be that many informal recruitment opportunities.
You are spot on. The criteria is "needs a new chapter", not "a new chapter wouldn't hurt anyone".
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't think you were. And as DeltaBetaBaby noted, you were spot on.